Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 08-28-2005, 10:43 AM   #1
JadussD

Default Fighting a War on Drugs is expensive.

If you're in government, it provides opportunities to spend impressive-sounding sums of money on "keeping drugs away from kids" (while not actually accomplishing anything besides providing a "risk of doing business" level of enforcement). This will make you look "tough on crime". If you're the man in charge of the DEA, you can watch your kingdom grow ever-larger and ever-more-entrenched as an American institution. You might even be able to kiss-ass with the other members of the executive branch if you're able to spend your money wisely enough to create the illusion of progress:

<blockquote>Cannabis Seizures, Illinois, 1998
Outdoor Operations
Plots eradicated 278
Cultivated plants eradicated 4,225
Ditchweed plants eradicated* 1,350,571
Indoor Operations
Grows seized 80
Plants eradicated 3,310
Totals
Total plants eradicated 1,358,106
Number of arrests 143
Number of weapons seized 101

*Ditchweed is a term used to describe extremely low quality marijuana that grows wild in many parts of the United States. This type of marijuana is rarely harvested for use.

Source: DEA, 1998 Domestic Cannabis Eradication and Suppression Program Report, March 1999.</blockquote>

http://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs/652/marijuan.htmhttp://www.usdoj.gov/ndic/pubs/652/marijuan.htm</A>

Yes, that means that less than half a percent of the government's money was spent eradicating marijuana which was, essentially, low quality weed that would make you dizzy and give you a headache. Nobody sells or smokes ditchweed. It's simply unsmokably bad. It's probably bad enough that you'd think you ran into some "fake weed" if you bought it.

What the general public probably got was a one-line sentence in a newspaper or a statement saying that the DEA seized over 1.3 million plants in Illinois. Nope, try .3% that or so. The other 99.7% was completely wasted.
JadussD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 10:54 AM   #2
pipes

Default Re: Fighting a War on Drugs is expensive.

Cool. Money that could be used to make schools better or something is used to pull up wild grass.
Old 08-28-2005, 01:50 PM   #3
Goku

Governments should not wsate their money on the wacky tobbacco. They still need to fight drugs, but need to focus on the harder more dangerous drugs.
Goku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2005, 04:11 PM   #4
shawn

> Governments should not wsate their money on the wacky
> tobbacco. They still need to fight drugs, but need to focus
> on the harder more dangerous drugs.

But they'ld loose all them billions of dollars and you don't want to lay off highly paid government worker in the DEA, Prison, and Court System would you, hell I think they should tax us more and hire tons more people for this crucial issue, can't have people having fun and lower their taxes. [massive sarcasm]
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:08 AM   #5
Canar

> Governments should not wsate their money on the wacky
> tobbacco. They still need to fight drugs, but need to focus
> on the harder more dangerous drugs.

Define harder, more dangerous drugs.
Canar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 10:38 AM   #6
king killa

> Define harder, more dangerous drugs.
>

I think he means things like cocain, and meth.
king killa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 01:58 AM   #7
Canar

> I think he means things like cocain, and meth.

As someone who's used both (and continues to use both on an occasional, recreational basis), I can assure you that they're both as hard as you let them be. Meth is strange because it's only generally a problem for a while. Then the person gets sick and tired of it ruining their life and fixes the problem. Meth and cocaine seem to be more psychologically addicting than physiologically.

Crack and heroin, however, are more dangerous, due to their physiological addictiveness. That said, few addicts are addicts for their entire lives like smokers or alcoholics. Really, in the long term, smoking and drinking are more addictive than the rest, simply because people will turn a blind eye to nicotine and ethanol addiction.
Canar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2005, 02:54 AM   #8
shawn

I won't comment on the others but there was a study and it was real not government bullshit. They discovered that ANY use of meth as in crystal meth caused IMMEDIATE and PERMANENT brain damage. It actually totally burns out large areas of brain cells.

I personally have met several regular meth users and I hated every one of them. They were all young and they were all nuts, totally fucked up in the head and they didn't have to use to be like that. Hell you could quit for 50 years and you'll still have problems from the prior use.

I don't care about the other crap, fuck it, but you should stop the meth use immediately, now. You use drugs for pleasure, and from what you said about occasional use you realize you don't want them to rule your life just enhance it at times, we all do in different ways. Having said that I also need to pointout that your future to enjoy your life will disappear when you eventually become unemployable because of personality disorders and severe memory loss and distortion if you continue using meth even in small amounts. Also once the mental capacity becomes significantly reduced you will no longer have the ability to quit since you will be to stupid and nuts to realize your condition in any normal/logical way.

Quit now and save your future.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote