Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 08-02-2010, 07:08 AM   #1
MasterHD

Exclamation Graphics drivers on Ubuntu 10.04

Hey Zophar community,

I've recently installed Ubuntu 8.04 on an OLD (2003) Toshiba laptop after it kept catching virii under Windows. After updating to 10.04 (from 8.04), my graphics no longer work and I have to load in recovery mode (graphics failsafe).
Was wondering if there's an easy way to revert to an older graphics driver (such as 8.04) that functioned previously, while still running 10.04?

Your help is greatly appreciated!
MasterHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:51 AM   #2
D--

Viruses. You're writing in English. Besides, "virii" cannot be a word unless the singular form is "virius" so says the Latin grammar.

Have you tried a clean install? Ubuntu upgrades have always been terribly flaky. It's possible your crashes are happening because Xorg is still set to use some old binary driver that no longer exists or is incompatible with your current system/kernel.

You can always try this as root:

mv /etc/X11/xorg.cong /etc/X11/xorg.conf.bak

Then restart and see if it works. It should, because Cannonical claims to ship a "bulletproof X."

At the very least it should get you into VESA compatibility, and then you can install the appropriate drivers using whatever tools Ubuntu provides for this purpose.
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 07:27 PM   #3
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-- View Post
Viruses. You're writing in English. Besides, "virii" cannot be a word unless the singular form is "virius" so says the Latin grammar.
So then what's to answer to the penises vs penii debate? Aside from the obvious answer of cocks. Not to insinuate that my girlfriend is a slut or anything...
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
D--

Contrary to what you may have heard in prison, the pluralization of cocks is hardly trivial.

Penis is a third-declension Latin noun, not second. Only second ones do the us->i shift. Since you don't write "penus", it can't follow these rules.

Pen[is] has a -is ending as a singular noun. As a third-declension noun, this means its plural is penes, which is the spelling you will see in some medical literature.
D-- is offline   Reply With Quote