Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 02-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Kino

Default Playing PSX isos.

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I glanced through the first three or four pages in this forum (which is where I assumed such questions would be asked) and didn't see anything.

I've never tried to run any emulation higher than 16 bit before (for various reasons), but I recently decided I really wanted to play a PSX game (Chrono Cross, which I do own, thank you) on my computer.

Since I have no TV, no PSX and no PS2 where I'm currently making my abode (college).

So I downloaded a few emulators (see which one works best for what I want), downloaded the iso files, and have been utterly unable to get them to work.

Now, from what I've seen googling around wildly and randomly, it looks like I may be best served by burning the files to a disk and then running off of those, though the first one is too big to simply burn directly to a disk, which makes me think some kind of special program/compression is necessary. Or if I don't need to burn it to a disk, what am I doing wrong?

I'm on a G4 Powerbook, 1.5GHz, OSX 10.5.7. I've confirmed that the latest version of FlareStorm 2 that I can find (looks like it's from around 2005) and the Mac port of PCSX that's available on this site can both be opened properly, at least. I've tried a few different ways to get the programs to recognize the .img file that I downloaded, but nothing's worked.

If you need any other info to figure out how stupid I'm being, please let me know. Thanks.
Kino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 02:57 AM   #2
The 9th Sage

Hmm...I don't know about Flarestorm 2, (since I don't have a Mac) but I know PCSX can't directly load images of game discs (meaning that copy of Chrono Cross you've got) assuming it's the same as the Windows version.

If it was Windows I'd suggest using something like Daemon Tools to mount the disc image as a virtual CD drive, which would make the emulator think the image itself was in a CD drive hooked up to your computer. Not sure if there's something similar for Mac...there almost has to be, but I don't know.

Also, how big is the IMG file you have, anyway?

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 03:11 AM   #3
Kino

702.5 mb. There's also two other files that unrared in the same folder, a .ccd and a .sub. I think I remember reading somewhere that a .ccd is just a possible by-product of ripping the disc image, but I'm not really sure what the .sub is, and that's another 28.7 mb (though apparently the .img file by itself is still too big to burn).

I'll try seeing if I can find anything like Daemon Tools for the Mac on google, I guess.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:13 AM   #4
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kino View Post
I'm on a G4 Powerbook, 1.5GHz, OSX 10.5.7.
You should probably get a computer that doesn't suck, first...
Old 02-25-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
Kino

I don't have the money for a new Mac, I'm too lazy to try to get Linux setup halfway decently, and my only other option would be Windows (since I don't know jack about any of the more obscure operating systems), so it looks to me like I've got the best computer I'm going to be able to have anytime in the near future.
Old 02-25-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Reaper man

Quote:
and my only other option would be Windows (since I don't know jack about any of the more obscure operating systems),
Well, get a windows box then as it's a LOT more superior than whatever Steve Jobs shits out and puts a shiny apple logo on.
Old 02-25-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
Kino

Like I said, if my only other option is Windows, it looks like I've got the best system I can have for the time being.
Old 02-25-2010, 06:27 PM   #8
Sliver-X

The file will fit on a CD-R: The size difference is basically data structure information that is only used by the burning software.

However, burning and running from a disc is slow. PSX emulator plugins, so far as I can remember, are basically all cross compatible with any plugin based emulator. Get CDRMooby and set it up as the CD-ROM plugin: It will allow you to run CloneCD images straight from your HDD.

*edit*

This may be useful for you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q26yM9wOPF4
Sliver-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:33 AM   #9
Reaper man

Quote:
Like I said, if my only other option is Windows, it looks like I've got the best system I can have for the time being.
pffff hahahahaha, anything is better than a piece of shit mac... but then again, it seems you already drank the kool-aid and became part of the apple cult, so you aren't going to listen to me.

Enjoy your inferior computer with an awful choice in emulators...
Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 AM   #10
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
pffff hahahahaha, anything is better than a piece of shit mac... but then again, it seems you already drank the kool-aid and became part of the apple cult, so you aren't going to listen to me.

Enjoy your inferior computer with an awful choice in emulators...
Knock it off Brad. This has nothing to do with the topic...there's no point in posting completely unhelpful things. Anyway, you could burn it to a disc if you had an 800 MB CD-R. I'm sure you could find one, they seem pretty common these days.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote