Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 02-12-2010, 01:30 AM   #1
anewascension

Smile HELP GET EMULATION ON VISTA 64 BIT!

I've got Vista Ultimate (64-bit) now and my NES and Gameboy Emulators do not work (probably cuz they were intended for x86 ... 32bit machines?)

My SNES Emulators seem to be working but one of them is flakey.

My computer doesn't support virtualization. What can I do?? Are there any newer emulators out there for SNES, NES and Gameboy that will play natively ina 64 bit framework?

Also, what USB controllers are you guys using these days?

Ready to get back in it :-)

-Jared-
anewascension is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2010, 02:04 AM   #2
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by anewascension View Post
I've got Vista Ultimate (64-bit) now and my NES and Gameboy Emulators do not work (probably cuz they were intended for x86 ... 32bit machines?)
Uhm... no. Most (>90%) of win32 executables will run on windows 64-bit due to WoW64, which is a subsystem for running said programs on windows 64. What emulators are you using? I can probably offer some insight as to what you're probably doing wrong.

Quote:
My computer doesn't support virtualization. What can I do?? Are there any newer emulators out there for SNES, NES and Gameboy that will play natively ina 64 bit framework?
Are you talking about emulators that run 64 bit? Enh, I can't say I know of any. They mostly all run 32 bit because if your CPU is 64, it's more than enough to handle old school emulation, and thus 64 bit mode isn't really needed (and many people still use 32 bit these days...).

Quote:
I use a PS2 to USB adapter. Sony controllers FTW.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:52 PM   #3
Sliver-X

Quote:
Just a stab in the dark here, but you may want to try installing DirectX 9. As Reaperman said, Win32 applications typically run fine aside from the occasional library missing (Like DX).

Quote:
This doesn't matter. Virtualization, basically, is the segmentation of operating systems on the same machine in memory. Intel calls this VT-x and AMD AMD-V, but both do the same thing: Hardware virtualization. You can only run programs compatible with the host CPU this way (So nothing like PPC binaries/operating systems).

Emulation totally runs a machine in software, and is much, *MUCH* slower, but the upside is that you can run non compatible CPU code, like NES games on an x86.

Quote:
I've used PSX/PS2 > USB adapted gamepads since 2001 or so. Great for basically everything but N64 games and consoles with numerical pads on the controllers.
Sliver-X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2010, 10:00 PM   #4
The 9th Sage

I third the USB PSX adapter. For N64 I would use an Adaptoid, which is a USB adapter for the N64 controller itself.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 09:57 PM   #5
CollinFalling

I just plug in my USB Xbox 360 controller for everything.
CollinFalling is offline   Reply With Quote