Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 04-23-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
Rulwok

Default Lost Vikings II hack ?

Hi all,

I've recently rediscovered the Genesis version of "The Lost Vikings" and its exclusive 3-player cooperative mode and God how awesowe that is ! Having to think your way through a level with the help of two other friends is quite an exhilarating experience; and the game surprisingly still holds up pretty well as of today. So you can imagine my dismay upon learning that the second installment of Lost Vikings was a two-player adventure only, even though the SNES had a multitap of its own, just like the Genesis. Being totally unskilled rom hacking-wise, I would like to submit a simple question : is there any way to hack the "Lost Vikings II" on SNES so as to make it a three-player game ?

Any answer will be thoroughly appreciated,
Thanks a lot.
Rulwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
Reaper man

Yes, but it would require rerwiting the entire game engine.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:04 PM   #3
Rulwok

I see ... Then I guess it's no use even hoping for it. Too bad, this sequel really let me down, I don't know what the guys down at Blizzard were thinking when they omitted to implement this kick-ass three-player coop . Well, anyway thanks for your answer.
Old 04-25-2011, 01:39 AM   #4
InVerse

Uh, no, it wouldn't require rewriting the entire game engine. Such hacks have been made before for SNES games. The work wouldn't be negligible but it wouldn't be impossibly difficult, either. I couldn't tell you where to start, though, because the SNES is most second most hated console system, only slightly behind the PS1,2,3.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
Rulwok

Oh really ? And why is that ? Still, possible but difficult is way beyond me since I'm really not knowledgeable at all in hacking and couldn't even begin to fiddle with the game. But if one day someone ever decides to do it for whatever reason, well I'll be forever grateful to him/her (along with my two mates who play the game with me ).
Old 04-25-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
InVerse

There are tons of ROM hacking tutorials available, it isn't that hard to start learning. 90% of ROM hackers are stupid, so you don't really need to know what you're doing.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:08 PM   #7
Rulwok

Yeah, maybe I should consider giving it a shot someday though this Lost Vikings II thing may not be the easiest place to start and might turn out to be discouraging altogether.