Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
SMBhomemade

Default Super Mario Bros hack help, hacking mario

I spent many hours on making this cool Super Mario Bros hack a few years ago, and while I was at it I changed Mario to look different. Now I just want everything back to normal (it looks too weird) so I've already pasted the old graphics into the ROM but I realize that isn't enough because Mario still doesn't look right.

Now I can remember using a hex editor to change some of the locations for Mario and now I want to change it back. Trouble is 1) I don't have a hex editor, 2) I don't have any idea what I changed to make Mario look different. It was like 2003 or 2004 if I remember right. So a few years ago.

So basically I would love it if someone would remind me what location to look for Mario in, not the graphics but the location with the graphics pointers. That way I can copy that info from an original NES ROM. This ROM has no title screen if that makes a difference.

By the way, feel free to suggest a good free hex editor for 32-bit Windows XP that I can use if you know of one. Thanks

Last edited by SMBhomemade; 06-21-2010 at 06:38 AM.
SMBhomemade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 02:49 AM   #2
SMBhomemade

Wow, no one? Here's my problem again in case I wasn't clear.

A while back I made a cool ROM hack of smb1 with all original levels and lots of fun secrets. At some point I decided to change a lot of the tiles up. While I was doing that I also changed some of the pointers to the tiles, especially the pointers for Mario. I cannot remember how I did that but I suspect I used a hex editor.

Now I decided to put Mario back the way he was and pasted the old tiles back into my ROM. The only problem is I don't remember what pointers I changed, so Mario doesn't look right anymore, because it's still pointing to the tiles as they were in the hack I made.

So here's what I'm asking. Where are the Mario tiles and where are the pointers to the Mario tiles? Does no one hack this game anymore? :|
Old 06-23-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
InVerse

What you're needing to do is edit the Tile Squaroid Assembly for Mario's sprite. As for how to do that... I'm not sure. When you first made your post, I glanced at Data Crystal assuming that they'd have the information in the ROM Map but it wasn't listed.

I'd recommend asking on Jul's ROM Hacking Board as someone there probably knows where the data is stored. Just mention that you fucked up the TSA for Mario and don't remember the location of the data.

As for hex editors... Windhex is the only free one that I use and only for ROM hacking specific stuff. What you're going to have to change to fix your problem can be done with any hex editor. I use Hex Workshop and Ultra-Edit but they're both commercial apps. I know several people are fond of HxD, so you might take a look at it but I haven't used it myself so I can't speak to how good it is.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
SMBhomemade

Thanks for the advice! I just finished making my first post.

By the way, what ever happened to uniTSA? I found references to it while searching Google but it looks like it got deleted from Zophar. Was it any good?

Speaking of hex editors, I used to have one that revealed all the text. I think it somehow shifted the ascii map to match up with the ROM's encoding. I have no idea what that was called now though. Oh well.
Old 06-23-2010, 04:09 PM   #5
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMBhomemade View Post
By the way, what ever happened to uniTSA? I found references to it while searching Google but it looks like it got deleted from Zophar. Was it any good?
Never heard of it but you can download it right here.

Quote:
Speaking of hex editors, I used to have one that revealed all the text. I think it somehow shifted the ascii map to match up with the ROM's encoding. I have no idea what that was called now though. Oh well.
That would be.... any hex editor that allows character mapping. Which is any ROM hacking specific hex editor (Windhex being the current best) as well as some others, such as Hex Workshop. With the ROM hacking hex editors, you'll need to use a table file (with the exception of Hexposure, they all use the same format) but other editors, such as Hex Workshop, require custom formats. I've contemplated writing a .tbl to .map converter for Hex Workshop but since it can't handle multi-tile encoding, I'm not sure that it's worth the trouble.

You can find a table for for Super Mario Bros (along with a fuckton of other information) over at the aforementioned Data Crystal.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote