Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 12-28-2008, 10:35 PM   #11
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
Games
------

Final Fantasy VIII
I should give you a 1 day ban just on saying that alone, but that would be rather dicky of me. ;p

FFVIII was a great game.
Old 12-28-2008, 10:56 PM   #12
Iconoclast

Can't say I'm disappointed at numbers, or is that just my perspective?

Yea I liked MM over OOT that's for sure, just because they decided not to base anything [or everything] off of what they did previously (like that's a sequel) doesn't mean it's time for everyone to start underrating it again a decade into the future. I mean, it's so obvious, that they tried to make a sequel?
Iconoclast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 AM   #13
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
I should give you a 1 day ban just on saying that alone, but that would be rather dicky of me. ;p

FFVIII was a great game.
Wait wait...that's the one with the Draw system isn't it? I hate the Draw system. I played a demo (granted, only the demo) and could just not stand it.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:32 AM   #14
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Wait wait...that's the one with the Draw system isn't it? I hate the Draw system. I played a demo (granted, only the demo) and could just not stand it.

The draw system sucks for a while until you start learning how to refine magic from items/cards. After that it isn't as necessary. The awesome thing is you can attach magic to your stats and make god characters. Ultima to STR ftw!

I also liked the story and how Squall progressed and learned to open up a little.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:16 PM   #15
Xeon3D

Movies:

Indiana Jones - The Crystal Skull -> C'mon! Aliens on a Indiana Jones Movie?!?!? Next Indy movie will have time travels to the future, also, Transformers.

Games: All Zelda for N64. I for one (and one of the select few, i guess) thought it sucked arse (and it still does)). My Precious ALTTP :P

Those were the days...
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 08:20 PM   #16
strizzuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
The draw system sucks for a while until you start learning how to refine magic from items/cards. After that it isn't as necessary. The awesome thing is you can attach magic to your stats and make god characters. Ultima to STR ftw!

I also liked the story and how Squall progressed and learned to open up a little.
Great system, bad implementation, awful story. The system had so much potential to be awesome. It's prohibitively obtuse and daunting though. You realize from the getgo that you're going to have to be hitting "draw" a LOT. And you will. You don't get the ability to refine spells until later, and by that point you'll realize you'll have to play Triple Triad a LOT. Oh, and here's the story in a nutshell... "My name is Squall and I'm an anxty shounen manga stock character so I'm going to completely ignore this Rinoa chick and... OH MY GOD SHE'S IN A COMA I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT HER I NEED HER TO BE COMPLETE BECAUSE WE ARE CLEARLY IN LOVE!!!!!"

Most of my disappointments are NES games which I hastily bought without bothering to read anything about such as LJN's X-Men. God that game was terrible... Another big one was Guilty Gear (the original, not the sequels). I've never returned a game faster. I was drawn to it from the hype it was generating by being a stylish fighting game with its instant death innovations. What I didn't know is that this "innovation" is that all you have to do to win both rounds is press QCF and square+x. No really, that's all. Plus that, the character designs were just awful. It was like someone let Todd McFarlane watch anime a few times, jot down a few quick notes and some extremely rough sketches then send them off to Tetsuya Nomura for completion. I don't care what anyone says, I hate the characters in that game. Dr. Baldhead is easily the best example. It's like everything about the game is a result of the designers trying way too hard to be cool.
strizzuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:06 AM   #17
toasterhed

Here is a more recent movie... Four Christmases. This movie was funny in some ways but it was far too cliche. It was like an overdone Christmas Vacation.

Just awful.

toasterhed is offline   Reply With Quote