Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-26-2008, 09:29 AM   #31
devilmaycry1979
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 14
Default

Not Piracy, unless you sold a copy.

Also just wanted to add:Why are there even Disk Drives that have burn capabilities, CD-R, DVD-/+R, and such if the music, movie industry worries about piracy?

Ill tell ya the REAL reason:

They pump out this "tempting" hardware, so that after everyone in every home has a copy of their favorite movie and game, all they have to do is sit and wait for some idiot to plead "Guilty" for Piracy, so new laws can be instated to make money from fines; when HollyWood and Game Publishers, run out of resources for income.

Trust me...they are patiently waiting!

If you didnt sell it, plead NOT GUILTY, or else you have sentenced us all!

And I have to agree, some things deserved to be payed for...other things..well, I guess it just depends on your point of view..

As an amature programmer, I get into emulation from all aspects..
If I were to be questioned Im sure they would see the revelency.

Heres the thing, If they really want us to read and understand a EULA and such they need to start testing like they do for your license. (sarcasim)

Last edited by devilmaycry1979; 12-12-2008 at 11:38 PM.
devilmaycry1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:54 AM   #32
retroguiden
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 36
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
I remember when I broke my first radio and I've cried because my parents didn't want to buy me another one. I've learned from my mistakes.
Go out into the world and learn about other people and how very different they can be from you and what you are used to. maybe then you'll know what I'm talking about.

Quote:
The CDs and Vinyls that I've bought or burned all works fine. Even those that I've made a long time ago. You have to handle them carefully.
Bla bla... It is a proven fact that the storage mediums today will not hold indefinitely. It will eventually loose its data. Doesn't matter how well you handle them. Besides, people are people and they will not generally care for the games or albums or whatever as much as you do. Should they be the one's to blame for this? In a theoretical way - Yes! In a sensible, just way - No! The companies are using a very fragile medium and refus to take any responsibility for it. Ridiculous and only because of their fear for piracy.

Quote:
Yes, but it's also to the customer to use his common sense. For example, don't put your fingers under the CD. You can't blame the company for everything.
That's not the problem. Of course the company can't be blamed for everything. But as things are now the companies are letting its legitimate customers pay for piracy. And that's plain wrong. The main problem isn't the faulty medium the game comes on (although it's not good) the problem is that they try to tell you what you can do with your purchase. Imagine Ford or some other car manufacturer telling people what they can and can't do with their car. It's such a simple thing really - make sure your customers can protect their investment!

Quote:
Most people don't read the manuals or anything. They want to play with their toys as soon as possible. People should learn how to manipule or hold their toys. I've seen plenty of people hitting their computers to make it work "faster",slam their car doors way too hard, listening to music too loud for the capabilities of their headphones, etc. The most flagrant examples are hand tools. People using a slot screwdriver as a pry bar, and being angry after because the screwdriver broke. I'm not saying that it's your case, but there's a lot of people using an object the way it should be. Not always, but very often, the customer is wrong. It's not always the companies fault.
I know. I've worked in a store among other things. i know for a fact that few people read the manual. i know that few people listen to advice about how to handle things. But, i also know that they can't be solely at fault for this. Manuals today come with fine print, hard-to-understand-sentences. There are no clear good or bad in this. But one thing I've learned is that if a majority of the people views a product in a certain way, then either they're right (and the comapny wrong), or the company didn't make it clear enough (in which case the company is doing the wrong thing).
I'll state it again: It's such a simple thing really - make sure your customers can protect their investment!

Quote:
Also, you can't blame the company because you lost your toy. It's your fault if you lost it, and you're the only one's responsible for that. It's up to you not to lose you goods. If you lose them, too bad.
Lose it yes, but that means my toy was mine to do with as I pleased and I can protect it by simple measures. A software program is bound to the medium the company sold it on and I am really hindered to do all I can to keep it safe. It doesn't compare by a long shot!

Quote:
You're not paying for the CD, but the game licence, or for the right to play the game. How do you think that, for example, Blizzard emplyees get paid ? It's from the money of the games they've sold that their salaries comes from. It's understandable for someone wanting to get paid for something he needed 2 or 3 years to complete.
Oh, but it's here they become very clever. you see, They tell you the license is for the software program, but they include the CD/DVD or whatever as the only medium you can use it from. That tells me the CD is very much part of the package.

And don't come dragging with the old "the game makers are losing money". I'm not talking about regular piracy here!!! I pay for what's fair. And I pay for the game or whatever it is. i just refuse to pay it twice or thrice just because the programmer's lousy bosses decides to deliver it on a fragile medium and under ridiculous licenses. The companies are not playing fair towards their customers!

Quote:
The battery of my Sansa died. I called Sansa and they said, "sure, we'll send you another one" It's not that hard. Not all the companies are jackass.
Do you call this an argument??? Not all companies are as forthcoming as Sansa either. This really is beside the point. Let me make a simple backup of the game and all will be fine. But nooo, there are pirates out there so we don't dare treat people right. And the whole piracy thing of today comes from another shortsighted, greed tactic of the big (and sometimes small) companies. But let's not get into that one now.

Quote:
If money is an issue, it's up to you to buy essential things first. Talking about shoes, I bought a pair for 30 $ because I needed running shoes for 3 to 4 months. I bought at that price because I don't need them for long, and I know that they won't last long.
But the difference is that a software program could last for a long, long time! Let me use my bought programs and games the way I want to, not the way some paranoid company dictates. DO you see Ford telling their customer's what they can or can'tdo with their cars? No, that's more or less up to the laws of the specific country. m,uch the same practice should be applied to software as well.
retroguiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 05:57 PM   #33
Cornellius
Senior Member
 
Cornellius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Québec/Canada
Posts: 2,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroguiden View Post
Go out into the world and learn about other people and how very different they can be from you and what you are used to. maybe then you'll know what I'm talking about.
Not everyone thinks like you either.


Quote:
Bla bla... It is a proven fact that the storage mediums today will not hold indefinitely. It will eventually loose its data. Doesn't matter how well you handle them. Besides, people are people and they will not generally care for the games or albums or whatever as much as you do. Should they be the one's to blame for this? In a theoretical way - Yes! In a sensible, just way - No! The companies are using a very fragile medium and refus to take any responsibility for it. Ridiculous and only because of their fear for piracy.
You know, it isn't illegal to create a copy of a cd you already bought. I don't what to tell you, all the CDs I've created 10 years ago still work. You can't blame the company because the CD lose it's data with time, they did not create the cd.

Quote:
That's not the problem. Of course the company can't be blamed for everything. But as things are now the companies are letting its legitimate customers pay for piracy. And that's plain wrong. The main problem isn't the faulty medium the game comes on (although it's not good) the problem is that they try to tell you what you can do with your purchase. Imagine Ford or some other car manufacturer telling people what they can and can't do with their car. It's such a simple thing really - make sure your customers can protect their investment!
A lot of people are stupid, accept that fact. Sure, the electric razor maker will tell you not shave under the shower, but I'll do it anyway. I work in a tool shop, and it's unbelievable how people can break their tools. The company told the person not to use the tool that way, and he did it anyway. The guy is in the wrong.

Quote:
I know. I've worked in a store among other things. i know for a fact that few people read the manual. i know that few people listen to advice about how to handle things. But, i also know that they can't be solely at fault for this. Manuals today come with fine print, hard-to-understand-sentences. There are no clear good or bad in this. But one thing I've learned is that if a majority of the people views a product in a certain way, then either they're right (and the comapny wrong), or the company didn't make it clear enough (in which case the company is doing the wrong thing).
I'll state it again: It's such a simple thing really - make sure your customers can protect their investment!
I bought radioshack headphones and they broke after a week. I then bought sennheisers, they're awesome. You know, when you buy something at 20 $ that usually cost 100 $, you have to understand that the quality of the said product isn't as good as the pro models.


Quote:
Lose it yes, but that means my toy was mine to do with as I pleased and I can protect it by simple measures. A software program is bound to the medium the company sold it on and I am really hindered to do all I can to keep it safe. It doesn't compare by a long shot!
Why is it so hard not to lose stuff ?


Quote:
Oh, but it's here they become very clever. you see, They tell you the license is for the software program, but they include the CD/DVD or whatever as the only medium you can use it from. That tells me the CD is very much part of the package.

And don't come dragging with the old "the game makers are losing money". I'm not talking about regular piracy here!!! I pay for what's fair. And I pay for the game or whatever it is. i just refuse to pay it twice or thrice just because the programmer's lousy bosses decides to deliver it on a fragile medium and under ridiculous licenses. The companies are not playing fair towards their customers!
You decided to buy the game on the CD version while you knew (in your terms) that the cd isn't immortal, yet, you blame the company when the cd dies ? You can't blame the company because they have to do with the physical properties of the cd. What do you want them to do ? Sell you the game on a HD or a SSD ? Also, that spore game, is it playable online ? If so, they need money to maintain the servers. As for the limited installs, I'll admit that this is dumb, but then again I'm still playing Starcraft, and I installed it 5 years ago on that computer. I'm not installing/re-installing a lot.


Quote:
Do you call this an argument??? Not all companies are as forthcoming as Sansa either. This really is beside the point. Let me make a simple backup of the game and all will be fine. But nooo, there are pirates out there so we don't dare treat people right. And the whole piracy thing of today comes from another shortsighted, greed tactic of the big (and sometimes small) companies. But let's not get into that one now.
I'll say it again, it isn't illegal for you to make a copy a cd you bought. Do so if you want to preserve the quality of your CDs. As for my CDs, they all still works, hell, even my old vinyls still work. I don't feel the need to "protect" my CDs.


Quote:
But the difference is that a software program could last for a long, long time! Let me use my bought programs and games the way I want to, not the way some paranoid company dictates. DO you see Ford telling their customer's what they can or can'tdo with their cars? No, that's more or less up to the laws of the specific country. m,uch the same practice should be applied to software as well.
They created the car so they know what you can do and can't do with their car. They know it better that you or me. If you don't like that, just buy another car. I don't understand people disagreeing with a product, and buying it anyway. If you don'T agree with the company or the eula, don't buy the product then. They do not force you to buy it.
__________________
My job

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:09 AM   #34
Reaper man
Member
 
Reaper man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5,409
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
I bought radioshack headphones and they broke after a week. I then bought sennheisers, they're awesome. You know, when you buy something at 20 $ that usually cost 100 $, you have to understand that the quality of the said product isn't as good as the pro models.
hah, those are the same brand of headphones I bought at newegg for around 30 dollars. Some of the best sound I've ever heard from these things. They are niiiiice.

Anyway, carry on with the piracy conversation. ;p
__________________
Reaper man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2008, 06:18 PM   #35
Cornellius
Senior Member
 
Cornellius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Québec/Canada
Posts: 2,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
hah, those are the same brand of headphones I bought at newegg for around 30 dollars. Some of the best sound I've ever heard from these things. They are niiiiice.

Anyway, carry on with the piracy conversation. ;p
Yes, Seinnheiser knows what make headphones, good heaphones :]
__________________
My job

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)

Last edited by Cornellius; 12-07-2008 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Typo
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 07:39 AM   #36
retroguiden
Regular Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Sweden
Posts: 36
Default

Ok Cornellius. Your latest answer tells me we've begun to go in circles so I don't think this discussion will go any further. I'll end it here.
retroguiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2008, 03:19 PM   #37
Cornellius
Senior Member
 
Cornellius's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Québec/Canada
Posts: 2,787
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by retroguiden View Post
Ok Cornellius. Your latest answer tells me we've begun to go in circles so I don't think this discussion will go any further. I'll end it here.
Well, we both have our opinions on the matter and they won't change, so I agree.
__________________
My job

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 04:46 AM.

Contact Us - Zophar's Domain - Archive - Top

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.