Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 05-31-2009, 01:45 AM   #1
Gil

Default Final Fantasy Theater

It's more then a hack, it's a whole new variation of the game I'm working on.
included with this post should be a copy of a little map I made, showing you a preview of what to expect.
You remember how easy the sky temple was to reach once you had the cube and airship? You could just fly to that cheaty little patch of grass just outside the temple practically, and step right inside, not having to worry about the various horrors of the desert.
NO MORE, now you got to navigate a MAZE. (note: the maze structure won't be like what you're seeing in the snapshot, otherwise I just gave the secret away).
For those of you who don't want to download the map, here's an explaination of this one little aspect of the mod: you have to land the airship at the bottom grass area outside the desert, then walk up and around between mountains. There is no cheating this, PERIOD.
You then have to brave marshlands and various desert and marsh creatures to work your way inwards. Towards the water monster area (I made it so those little corners with half water/half land you can walk on give you ocean battles instead of land battles, yea, you have to fight sea monsters). If you survive that, you have to canoe your way thru the marsh and deeper in. Yea, poisonous marsh monsters.
If you make it past that, you're free to go. Of course your HP will probably be one tenth of what it was, so make sure to use a HOUSE (which I renamed INN, made more expensive, and made have the same effect as an inn), and SAVE YOUR GAME, because this is only the start of your worries.

Further modifications are: NEW TOWNS! You heard right, I actually added new towns to the game. Piratopia for instance. "sorry, but the pirate is in another town".
I got rid of Melmond, it sucked ass with no clinic and the ugly town build.
I made Ponteria.
I'm working on a BLACK MARKET town as well, you can find the caravan THERE, not in some stupid oasis.
I've done massive restructuring of the land masses, destroyed a few things, added a few more, created a huge island with increasing challenges, made the AIRSHIP impossible to get until you complete the water temple (I don't like how three fourths of the game can be done by airship, it's like phoning it in, more walking and more fights and more challenge is needed, and especially more use of the SHIP)
The temple of ordeals is where you find the CROWN, not the TAIL. The TAIL is where you would expect such a smelly disgusting thing to be, where the CROWN was, in some marsh, which I also moved.

I changed event requirements and plotlines as well. Now, you must face the pirates and get the ship before you can save the princess. You must get the CANOE to face the earth orb challenge, some towns now have doors that require the KEY to get past.
Graphics are being massively restructured.
No more vampire, now you face a WizVamp in the earth challenge.
the TNT (now Dynamite) has been MOVED.
And much more!
I'll probably be posting more screens later, and eventually the game mod itself. (not the rom, you can find a rom yourself since it's against the rules to post one here, this will be a mod you can patch into a rom)

PS: this game is loosely based on http://www.nuklearpower.com/ 8-bit theater, which was based on the original Final Fantasy game. It's a webcomic, and if you want this game mod to make sense, I suggest you read it from start to finish.
Since the comic moves so slowly, due mostly to how stupid the characters are, I felt inspired to slow down the gameplay a bit, that's why things are so much harder. But it'll be so worth it when you face the final boss, who won't be chaos anymore.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SkyTemple.png
Views:	173
Size:	51.7 KB
ID:	77  
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:13 AM   #2
Reaper man

good fucking god, you don't know how to make fucking PNG files? I removed BMP from accepted attachments for a REASON. Please do NOT circumvent this be throwing a BMP into a RAR with no compression. Do this again, and I will take action. For now, I'll fix your error. In the meantime, I suggest you look up some tutorials on how to make a fucking PNG.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:21 AM   #3
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
I suggest you look up some tutorials on how to make a fucking PNG.

Open file in Irfanview, save as PNG, done.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 02:53 AM   #4
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
Open file in Irfanview, save as PNG, done.
Funny, I did the exact same thing. I then put it through pngcrush and took a 1.5MB file down to oooooh 51KB.

May I also add, Gil, that your method of taking screenshots and playing emulated games in general is downright atrocious. First of all, most emulators worth their salt have a built-in screen capture function, use it. Secondly, you playing games that have a fullscreen aspect ratio stretched out to widescreen making every damn thing distorted make me want to puke.
Old 05-31-2009, 04:40 AM   #5
Gil

I thought bmp files were accepted, just at a limited filesize... o_o Sorry.
as for my playing of emulated games, how do you exactly know how good I am at playing a game, if you don't mind my asking? I take that rather personally, as I find games described to be difficult to be rather easy.
Anyhow, I don't have ifranview, and didn't think to save to PNG, so sorry. I'm not usually one for taking screenshots, so this is new to me. >< So excuse me for not being up to date on every little thing. If it makes you happy, I'll download ifranview tho.

and furthermore, if I could fix the god damn aspect ratio, I would, but if you remember, I mentioned that I'm forced to use VMWARE to run windows xp, and vmware tools auto-resizes my screen ratio. (I mentioned this in another post)
sorry if you don't like the stretched screen, you're always free to use CTRL+W in mspaint (stretch and skew) to de-stretch it to a normal aspect ratio.
Old 05-31-2009, 05:06 AM   #6
Reaper man

I wasn't insulting your player skill at all. I was merely stating that playing your games stretched like taht is horrid, and don't give me the VMware excuse forcing it like that either. You can configure the emulator to keep it at the correct ratio. you can also configure XP to use a non widescreen ratio as well.

May I also add that MSpaint (versions XP and up) will save as PNG...
Old 05-31-2009, 06:42 AM   #7
Adremalech The Wroth

Jesus Christ on a pogo stick....this hack looks like its going to be amazing...
I would just like to say that i cant wait to see the finished product.
I'm practically drooling... >.>
Old 06-01-2009, 11:03 PM   #8
Gil

Quote:
I wasn't insulting your player skill at all. I was merely stating that playing your games stretched like taht is horrid, and don't give me the VMware excuse forcing it like that either. You can configure the emulator to keep it at the correct ratio. you can also configure XP to use a non widescreen ratio as well.

May I also add that MSpaint (versions XP and up) will save as PNG...
Ah ok I understand, my bad. Next time, when I resize, I'll make sure to add another 75% crop to the width ratio, that should make it normal again. As for screen resolution, the less messed with that I figure, the better.

As for paint, seems you're right about the PNG, from now on, I'll save it as the PNG format for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adremalech The Wroth View Post
Jesus Christ on a pogo stick....this hack looks like its going to be amazing...
I would just like to say that i cant wait to see the finished product.
I'm practically drooling... >.>
Well thanks.
See, what I can't figure is the storyline, it never made much sense to me really.
Lemme explain.
First, you start off with Garland, he kidnapped the princess, and goes to the temple of fiends. Ok, this is plausable, except that we're in a time-loop, which is revealed late in the game, so WHAT THE FUCK? Why wouldn't Garland have taken the princess to somewhere better? like an ISLAND maybe?
Yes, he takes her to an island, KING STEVE ISLAND. Use the SHIP to get there, but not really much. See, I put the ship between two docking ports, one above and one below, so it acts like a patch of land to let you walk onto the island. I'll post pics of the island later.
The VOLCANO is where you would now expect it to be, ON AN ISLAND, not in the middle of mountains with a maze surrounding it. Islands are typically formed by Volcanic activity to start with, so it's a big giant duh that it should be like this in the game, but the makers never thought of that.

The inner areas of the dungeons will look very familiar, but if you attempt those familiar routes, you're likely to end up dead in a dead end.
The FIENDS had literally thousands of years to figure out how to keep you from reaching them, yet allow them to leave if they so please. You would think they would have better security then they did. Now they do.

Also, point of note, the teleporter is now guarded by something that makes more sense then a dragon in the middle of a technological haven, it's guarded by WARMECH.

Characters have been modified heavily to match the comic.
Fighter has the most HP, and will keep gaining more HP with each level up. He's the meat shield, but don't expect him to carry you through the game, otherwise you're screwed when you get as far as the volcano.
Thief has high evade and int, all other stats are normal or have been lowered a bit. He's fast, he's crafty, and he can run like hell. (don't run from battles tho, or you'll never level up)
Black mage has most stats supporting his use of magic, and little else.
Red Mage has the most even and fair stats, and I've modified it so he can learn most white magics and few black. The reason I did this is because of what I did to the next ones.

White mage has zero everything, and never gains anything with level up, it's not supposed to be used in this game mod, I wouldn't suggest you use one. Starting with zero HP means an instantly dead mage in battle screens.
Black Belt has the same problem, these characters aren't part of the main group in the comic, and I want this mod to stick as closely to that as possible.

In the game, you're supposed to have one red mage, one black mage, one fighter, and one thief. Keep them in whatever formation you want.

Don't think that my bulking up of certain character stats makes the game any easier for you, especially considering that I've increased most monsters, especially the big bad ones, including more ice giants, more WARMECH, there's a LICH guarding the rat tail, monsters that can cast spells can also heal members of their own party with white magic spells, most forest monsters are regenerative, up to 9 forest imps per screen, up to 4 GARLAND in the first battle (it would make sense that with the time-loop, since garland has learned time magic, that there would be more then one of him to fight), the pirates are now colored red and harder to beat, up to 3 ASTOS. Elven magic is a bitch to stop.
Better dialogue, I never liked generic things like "WARRIORS, revive the power of the ORBs!", you can and do often murder NPCs.

The ToF (temple of fiends) is a little different.
first off, after facing LICH, when you get to the KARY room, when you reach the stairs, you're supposed to fight KARY again, I made it so you have to fight LICH again, and THEN KARY.
Next room has LICH, KARY, and either tiamat or kraken. I'm not sure, that was one of the first things I edited.
anyway, the fourth room has all four of them. Right now I'm betting you're glad I modified the game so you can use TENTs inside dungeons. (you heard me right) It was the only way I could make the game winnable at this rate.
Before facing the final boss, you must face up to FOUR WARMECH. (warmech is weak to electrical spells now, it never made sense to me that they would be resistant to it, they're METAL MACHINES for god's sake!)

Make sure that, before you proceed in the final dungeon, that you have max HP and at least some MP left. If you're short two party members, you have little to no chance to win.

Dead party members can use magic outside battle, I included this for use of the LIFE spell, which you are likely to end up needing to use. But it also works for EXIT and WARP, which are now OUT and UP.

There's alot more, but I think I'll just make a player's handbook for you to read, instead of posting it all here. The handbook will include cool graphics, pictures of monsters with their stats, background stories, and much more.

I'd include a video or two of what gameplay should be like, but I think I'll post it on youtube instead, even in FLV file format, it would likely make the RAR bundle too big to host.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:07 AM   #9
InVerse

Quote:
good fucking god, you don't know how to make fucking PNG files? I removed BMP from accepted attachments for a REASON. Please do NOT circumvent this be throwing a BMP into a RAR with no compression. Do this again, and I will take action. For now, I'll fix your error. In the meantime, I suggest you look up some tutorials on how to make a fucking PNG.
You know, I've had to make an effort to resist pointing out what a fucking moron you are for several weeks now. Why don't you do me a favor and just go ahead and ban me so I don't have to bother actually typing up the post?
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 03:10 AM   #10
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
Also, point of note, the teleporter is now guarded by something that makes more sense then a dragon in the middle of a technological haven, it's guarded by WARMECH.
I'd just like to point out that Tiamat was in the sky castle because it's and ancient civilization that was destroyed by Tiamat.

And that Garland obviously didn't plan ahead because it was a total accident that the time loop even happened, so he wouldn't ''have taken the princess to somewhere better? like an ISLAND maybe?''. Furthermore, if he wasn't killed in the Temple of Fiends, the time loop wouldn't have hapened in the first place...

But yeah, it looks like an interesting hack for anyone who has repeatedly beaten the game and wants a some variations.