Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 06-04-2009, 05:06 PM   #11
Master Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
If your machine can handle it (and most vista machines can easily), I might suggest you download a torrent of VMWARE virtual machine.
VMWARE is a computer-within-computer emulator. (it emulates PC functions).
Then, on your emulated computer (it's going to have a blank "harddrive"), you can install WINDOWS XP (I would suggest win xp pro sp2 or sp3)
Then, you can run any emulator that only runs on XP and not vista in that.

PS: I'm running vista, and I'm telling you, NEStopia has zero issues with running in vista, and it runs smoothly and has almost every little bell and whistle option you could want from an NES emulator. That's your best bet, if you insist on emulating games using vista.

I hope I could help out with that issue, I hate it when compatibility is an issue.

Question since it takes so long to load xp or other windows onto a machine does the emulated machine make a record of it and load it every time the emmulation is started?

PPS: you don't have to install XP on your virtual computer, you could even install windows 98 or something for true compatibility blending.

Cool I have been having problems with dosbox. The problem as I see it is that dos does not allow special characters (space is the problem) and even my "program file" will not load in it. getting into my users\documents\my games\dos programs is impossible since i have 6 or 7 folders in documents that start with my so the * (any that follows command) does not work! dos is such a pain to change directories in. but having a emulated computer that i can load dosbox and my dos games onto may just work.

Question: Does the emulated machine record the operating system you put on it so it loads every time you start the emulation? It takes too long to load an operating system if you have to keep reinstalling every time you start up the program.

Last edited by Master Chaz; 06-04-2009 at 05:13 PM.
Master Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM   #12
wolf_the_wiccan

Duly noted Lilymon, my apologies. I Have since read the sticky.

Well, your advice on NES was fantastic! Thanxsomuch!
What would you suggest for Sega emulators/Tools?
wolf_the_wiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_the_wiccan View Post
Duly noted Lilymon, my apologies. I Have since read the sticky.

Well, your advice on NES was fantastic! Thanxsomuch!
I'm glad about both.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_the_wiccan View Post
What would you suggest for Sega emulators/Tools?
While it really depends on what system you're talking about, Kega Fusion emulates just about every Sega console with excellent accuracy.
Old 06-09-2009, 04:37 AM   #14
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I'm glad about both.

While it really depends on what system you're talking about, Kega Fusion emulates just about every Sega console with excellent accuracy.
I too would vote for Kega Fusion.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 05:53 PM   #15
wolf_the_wiccan

Thank you much. I now have emulators for NES, SNES and Sega. My next question would be: Would/Do/Can you suggest any "tools"? A friends says tools are the way to keep an orderly (O.C.D. much? a much much... ...a much too much) collection of well named and "hack free" ROMs!? Know anything about this or is my friend crying...uh, ...wolf?
wolf_the_wiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 AM   #16
InVerse

The Good tools are the most popular auditing tools. (GoodNES for NES, GoodSNES for SNES, etc.) Unfortunately, the guy who makes them is an idiot. They won't necessarily keep your collection bad/hack free, but they will label the ROMs as such so you can manually remove them. (The GoodTools actually insist your collection is incomplete if you don't have every known bad ROM.)

TOSEC is supposed to be good, but I've never actually managed to get it to work properly, so I can't vouch for that myself.

If you look in the utilities section on the main page, you'll see a link for Auditing utilities. That's what you're looking for.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #17
The 9th Sage

For SNES games I personally would recommend NSRT. It's made by Nach, one of the folks who has done a lot of work on Zsnes.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote