Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 07-28-2009, 03:18 AM   #11
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by WatchSmart View Post
This is an emulation site. When someone expresses an interest in running an old operating system or an old computer, we should say "wow! that's very interesting!" instead of saying that his idea is G-d awful.

Retrocomputing = fun times
Yeah, Brad has an unconditional hatred of Macs for some unknown reason. Most of the time we just ignore him when this happens. Or at least I do.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #12
Cornellius

Quote:
This is an emulation site. When someone expresses an interest in running an old operating system or an old computer, we should say "wow! that's very interesting!" instead of saying that his idea is God awful.

Retrocomputing = fun times
Always hated it when you ask a question about something, and people say "Why use this ?! Use that instead".

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 08:16 AM   #13
ToastyCheesy

It's all a matter of reasoning.

I did help him the best I could in my first response, shown him a link to where Mac OS X cheetah could be found.

His reasoning given for wanting the upgrade was that OS 9 was unhandle-ably slow, and he wanted to UPGRADE to OS X to fix this.... I'm missing the logic in this, maybe I just don't understand the workings of MAC OS, but I would assume that OS 9 was meant for lower req. systems and less intensive resource use than OS X, correct me if I'm wrong.

I then offered alternate OS'es he could give a spin to save their dyeing laptop.

With that said...

Quote:
Always hated it when you ask a question about something, and people say "Why use this ?! Use that instead".
I too hate that, so that pretty much makes a hypocrite of me =/

I guess I don't mind as much as I get the answer I wanted as well.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 09:30 AM   #14
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyCheesy View Post
It's all a matter of reasoning.

I did help him the best I could in my first response, shown him a link to where Mac OS X cheetah could be found.

His reasoning given for wanting the upgrade was that OS 9 was unhandle-ably slow, and he wanted to UPGRADE to OS X to fix this.... I'm missing the logic in this, maybe I just don't understand the workings of MAC OS, but I would assume that OS 9 was meant for lower req. systems and less intensive resource use than OS X, correct me if I'm wrong.

I then offered alternate OS'es he could give a spin to save their dyeing laptop.

With that said...

I too hate that, so that pretty much makes a hypocrite of me =/

I guess I don't mind as much as I get the answer I wanted as well.

Actually you are right. When he said his laptop was basically dying "needed repair" he should have spent the money on another used one instead of a new os to fix the problem which is totally illogical since that is using software to fix a hardware problem.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 12:57 AM   #15
WatchSmart

retrocomputing = tons of fun.

The solution offered by the OP might not be the most practical, but it IS much more INTERESTING than buying some parts.

Or: why use an emulator when you can just buy some old console or hardware on eBay? Maybe this webpage needs to change it's focus away from emulators...
WatchSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:37 AM   #16
shawn

Quote:
retrocomputing = tons of fun.

The solution offered by the OP might not be the most practical, but it IS much more INTERESTING than buying some parts.

I agree retrocomputing can be tons of fun, but an enthusiast would also take care of their hardware. He though had a broken/dying laptop and in that case he should have since he said he could not afford to have it fixed try to find another one for parts to repair his or a replacement outright.

I do appreciate the idea of retro computing. My shop still uses DOS based programs to run the CNC drill/router machines to drill and rout circuit boards and my circuit board tester at work is from the 70's with over a hundred boards in it all bigger than most computer motherboards and they each have dozens of memory modules that total 256K. I'm the only one in the shop that can get the damn thing to run everytime except the contractor that repairs it for us.

So again I'm not against retro computing but against repairs that do nothing to actually fix the problem but put a bandaid on it especially if that bandaid costs $100 when maybe with some looking a working laptop which could be the same model even and cost less than a repair or another OS and run better and last longer.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 01:59 AM   #17
WatchSmart

Yes, you're right. Maintenance of old machines is also a lot of fun. I really like opening up old computers and (sometimes) old consoles, too.

I guess there are no wrong answers. Except, you know, for "why would you pay for something so god awful?"
WatchSmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2009, 02:46 PM   #18
Cornellius

Quote:
Except, you know, for "why would you pay for something so god awful?"
Agreed, that had not it's place.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 03:21 PM   #19
coolie

Try here: http://lowendmac.com/deals/best-mac-os-x-prices.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd_9393 View Post
Does anyone know where I can get Mac OS 10.0 for under $100?