Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 07-18-2009, 09:14 AM   #1
ToastyCheesy

Default Advanced file organization

I have a folder on my hard drive, that contains about 45,000 files, halfway organized into about 5,000 different folders. Of these files, I only need about 30,000 of them (these are music files) The rest are album art, useless crap windows puts in folders, etc.

Also, of the 5,000 folders, Im sure nearly half of them are empty. back when I had a fraction of the files in this folder as I do now, I used realplayer's file organize function which moved all my music into a more organized file tree, but didnt clean out the folders it left behind.

I'm looking for a few things

1.) There are still about 400 to 500 songs that are tagless, What is the easiest way to tag, that any of you would recommend? A friend recommended Tag&rename to me, but it is hard to find the music with the missing tags as it only opens one folder at a time, and Realplayer left all the untagged files in their old folder locations. It would have been at least half as nice to move them to an unknown folder, Tag&rename wouldn't be so tiresome. The option in Tag&rename to search ALL subfolders, starting at the top of the folder tree makes the program crash at about 87% scanning...

2.) I'm looking for a simple way to remove all the folders that have no audio files in them. a simple way to explain this using basic commands is: IF <folder> does NOT contain (*.mp3, *.flac, *.aac, *.wma, *.m4a *.etc) THEN delete <folder>

or at least display the list of folders that match arguments so I can confirm they are audio-less.

Mind you, that is HORRIBLE basic, but I'm sure a script would cover this function. Tried searching around google, and various sites myself, but I haven't any luck tonight.

3.) anything you guys recommend for batch converting of audio tracks? Anything I have of AAC is lossless, and Last I checked.... anything not lossless is 320 Kbps (at least, all MP3s). Flac is also not compatible with my portables, neither is WMA, but I only have about 12-15 of each of those filetypes. AAC is also not compatible with one of two portables I have, and that would be my main one. I had a look at Jet audio, but it was slow, crashed if I tried to convert a second audio file in the same use, and hogged up quite a bit of resources for some reason. The latest songbird beta also has conversion tools, but I didn't want to take the risk of using beta.

I know it's quite late, so I may find my answers to be much simpler than methods I've attempted, but thanks for the help.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
shawn

I searched on google for your problem with empty folders or ones without music files.

Well it seemed to me the folders without music even if they contained playlists and other files like that would be smaller as in less than 2 or 3 megs at least. I think I found something that may help. It adds a column to Windows Explorer for folder size. If this is like the other columns in Explorer you should be able to open the directory that contains all your music folders and then click the new folder size column to sort them from smallest to largest size. The one that are less than 1 MB in size should contain no music and should be fine to delete.

Here's the link at sourceforge for you to check out the program.

http://sourceforge.net/projects/foldersize/
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 12:23 AM   #3
ToastyCheesy

Hey, that's not a bad idea.

I always wondered why Windows didn't do this in the first place.
ToastyCheesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 05:00 AM   #4
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToastyCheesy View Post
Hey, that's not a bad idea.

I always wondered why Windows didn't do this in the first place.
Me to since it is a very useful function. What surprised me more is that in XP it doesn't even do it normally in a search when I checked to see if I could sort folders by size using the search function finding in a normal directory search folders weren't even listed, only files.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote