Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 05-30-2009, 02:47 PM   #1
wolf_the_wiccan

Default What NES Emulators and Tool(s) should I get?

Greeting all, I am new to emulators and roms and am curious to see if anyone would grant me the favor of listing what programs I need to hunt down to obtain a full library of correct and working NES roms. I am currently using NEStopia for an emulator and have a decent supply of ROMs, just nowhere near the amount that I actually had physical cartridge copies of.

I am looking for...
1.any better Emu than Nestopia?
2.any quick, complete ROM downloads?
3.most importantly, what tool should I get to fix/maintain my ROMs?

Thanks in advance for an suggestions!
-Wolf-
wolf_the_wiccan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 03:19 PM   #2
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf_the_wiccan View Post
I am looking for...
In terms of accuracy, nope. Nintendulator is a pretty good competitor, and Mednafen is an excellent all-rounder, but Nestopia is generally considered to be the best.

Quote:
Read the stickies, * * * No Rom Or Iso Requests * * *.

Quote:
I don't use any myself.
Old 05-30-2009, 04:01 PM   #3
Reaper man

Quote:
Be glad Lillymon got to you first. I might not have been so nice. If you know how to use torrents, you'll be fine.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
Gil

Quote:
Greeting all, I am new to emulators and roms and am curious to see if anyone would grant me the favor of listing what programs I need to hunt down to obtain a full library of correct and working NES roms. I am currently using NEStopia for an emulator and have a decent supply of ROMs, just nowhere near the amount that I actually had physical cartridge copies of.

I am looking for...

Thanks in advance for an suggestions!
-Wolf-
1: nestopia is one of the very best, but if you must, there is also fceux-2.1 which actually lets you force game genie codes into the ROM itself so they're permanant (that is if you plan on using a specific cheat forever whenever you play a game).

2: http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=f&oq=&aqi=g10
That link leads to a search in GOOGLE.COM for "NES ROMS", I think that's the best you're going to get, considering that requesting links to roms, or roms themselfs, is against the rules. google for it, there's lots of rom sites, plus torrents that have tons of roms in them. When searching for something, it's best to use a SEARCH ENGINE, and not an EMULATOR/TOOL SITE where it's against the rules to ask.
After all, there's no rule against using google to look for anything. What you do afterwards is up to you.

3: ...fix? ...maintain? ..your roms?
do you even know what a ROM is? a ROM is a datafile, usually *.NES if it's an NES rom. It's like a program or a picture, you download it, it's not a physical object. Granted it was originally ripped out of a physical object (cart game), but now it's like a jpeg or something, you just need the proper program to view and play it, and there you go. You should never need to "fix" or "maintain" your roms this way. Do you fix or maintain an image you download off an art site? Nope.
If your rom is corrupted or outright broken, download a better working copy and delete the original.

Welcome to Zophar's Message Board by the way, if I was you, I'd read them links the admins posted before replying further.
That is, if you wish to continue posting, and not get the wrath of the BAN HAMMER upon you from one of them lol.

PS: there's reason there's "sticky" topics, it's like a sign in the front yard with a warning symbol on it, you should really read the text before progressing.
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:42 PM   #5
Master Chaz

in case you are interested znes v1.42 is a great snes emmulator and it works on xp and vista (yeeah!). as for roms try to look for torrents in piratesbay, there are quite a few and they are usually 1+gigs so that means lots of games in them.
Master Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chaz View Post
in case you are interested znes v1.42 is a great snes emmulator and it works on xp and vista (yeeah!). as for roms try to look for torrents in piratesbay, there are quite a few and they are usually 1+gigs so that means lots of games in them.

You do realize that ZSNES is at 1.51 now, right?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:35 PM   #7
Adremalech The Wroth

I personally prefer and suggest Virtua NES.
Works great for all the games I've played on it.(Mostly RPGs >.>)
Old 06-01-2009, 11:15 PM   #8
Gil

For me, nothing beats NEStopia for gameplay. But for editing my ROM while I play it, fceux 2.1.0 is the emulator of choice.

Anyhow, there's lots of emulators out there, and they're all fairly small, so downloading all of them isn't too much of a problem, and then trying each one out till you find one you like best.
Old 06-02-2009, 04:26 PM   #9
Master Chaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
You do realize that ZSNES is at 1.51 now, right?
yes i am aware of that and i have tried it. i had some compatibility problems with it. and that was on xp pro. i would hate to have to hassle with it on vista. v1.42 runs great on vista with compatablity set to xp sp2 and always run as administrator.
Master Chaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 04:37 AM   #10
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Chaz View Post
yes i am aware of that and i have tried it. i had some compatibility problems with it. and that was on xp pro. i would hate to have to hassle with it on vista. v1.42 runs great on vista with compatablity set to xp sp2 and always run as administrator.
If your machine can handle it (and most vista machines can easily), I might suggest you download a torrent of VMWARE virtual machine.
VMWARE is a computer-within-computer emulator. (it emulates PC functions).
Then, on your emulated computer (it's going to have a blank "harddrive"), you can install WINDOWS XP (I would suggest win xp pro sp2 or sp3)
Then, you can run any emulator that only runs on XP and not vista in that.

PS: I'm running vista, and I'm telling you, NEStopia has zero issues with running in vista, and it runs smoothly and has almost every little bell and whistle option you could want from an NES emulator. That's your best bet, if you insist on emulating games using vista.

I hope I could help out with that issue, I hate it when compatibility is an issue.

PPS: you don't have to install XP on your virtual computer, you could even install windows 98 or something for true compatibility blending.