Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 05-29-2009, 12:02 AM   #11
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
wait.. why would you create a trojan in the first place? and why would you upload it to where innocent people could grab it?
It was a tumultuous time in the emulation scene where nobody was positive that video game companies weren't on the edge of sweeping in and filing legal action against every aspect of emulation. Not just ROM sites, which are clear violations of copyright law but also emulator authors and maybe even news sites. Then, for the first time ever, someone managed to create a working emulator for a current generation console. A lot of people were paranoid that this would be the straw that would incite action from Nintendo. So I created a trojan in the guise of a utility to enhance that emulator (the day after the emulator was released) and posted it on ZD. It was a pretty shitty trojan, not at all planned out. It deleted itself about halfway through the process. Still, if you ran it and then rebooted your computer, you'd have to reinstall Windows. Of course, this was when Windows 98 was still in it's infancy, so that process didn't take the 8 and a half days it does now.

Quote:
Glad to hear about the ROM, and that Galoob isn't all stuck up about ROMs of their stuff being released, and..wait.. how would someone go about even USING a game genie rom? the minute we enter the codes, and try to start the game, it would loop back to the beginning, or it would crash the emulator.. since more then one ROM can't be loaded at the same time.
At the time, it was just a curiousity. Run the ROM in and emulator and look at the old Game Genie code entry screen. Now-a-days, if you have the ROM in your FCE Ultra home directory (and name it gg.rom for some reason) and enable the Game Genie option in the Configuration menu, every time you load a ROM in FCE Ultra, it will start up with the Game Genie code entry screen and any codes you enter will be enabled in the game you loaded.

Quote:
Anyway, could someone please help me use the code inserter, if it has any possible chance of working? or, if it doesen't, could someone please code one? I tried all the byteswap stuff and whatnot mentioned in the text file, and messed up badly.
Speaking of FCE Ultra, while experimenting with a couple of things, I realized something. FCEUX (and possible other versions of FCEU that feature a debugger, but the version I'm currently using is FCEUX 2.0.2) has a Game Genie Encoder/Decoder Tool. Just select Game Genie Encoder/Decoder under the Debug menu and enter your Game Genie code in the box labeled Game Genie Code. Ignore the box that's labeled Address because that's the RAM address. Instead, look at the list of addresses at the bottom labeled Possible Affected Rom File Addresses. One of these is going to be the location you need to modify in order to permanently enable a Game Genie code. The value you'll need to change the byte to is listed in the tool in the box labeled Value. What you'll need to do is try hacking each of the bytes listed in the Possible Affected Rom File Addresses box with the value listed in the Value box until you find the one that does what you need. (If your Game Genie code is 8 characters long, I believe the Compare box will display the value that should be present at the address in order for the code to work, but I'm currently testing this out with a 6 digit code, so I'm not positive on that.) I just used this method to permanently hack in the 9 Lives code to Super Mario Bros and it worked.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 02:49 AM   #12
Gil

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
It was a tumultuous time in the emulation scene where nobody was positive that video game companies weren't on the edge of sweeping in and filing legal action against every aspect of emulation. Not just ROM sites, which are clear violations of copyright law but also emulator authors and maybe even news sites. Then, for the first time ever, someone managed to create a working emulator for a current generation console. A lot of people were paranoid that this would be the straw that would incite action from Nintendo. So I created a trojan in the guise of a utility to enhance that emulator (the day after the emulator was released) and posted it on ZD. It was a pretty shitty trojan, not at all planned out. It deleted itself about halfway through the process. Still, if you ran it and then rebooted your computer, you'd have to reinstall Windows. Of course, this was when Windows 98 was still in it's infancy, so that process didn't take the 8 and a half days it does now.

At the time, it was just a curiousity. Run the ROM in and emulator and look at the old Game Genie code entry screen. Now-a-days, if you have the ROM in your FCE Ultra home directory (and name it gg.rom for some reason) and enable the Game Genie option in the Configuration menu, every time you load a ROM in FCE Ultra, it will start up with the Game Genie code entry screen and any codes you enter will be enabled in the game you loaded.

Speaking of FCE Ultra, while experimenting with a couple of things, I realized something. FCEUX (and possible other versions of FCEU that feature a debugger, but the version I'm currently using is FCEUX 2.0.2) has a Game Genie Encoder/Decoder Tool. Just select Game Genie Encoder/Decoder under the Debug menu and enter your Game Genie code in the box labeled Game Genie Code. Ignore the box that's labeled Address because that's the RAM address. Instead, look at the list of addresses at the bottom labeled Possible Affected Rom File Addresses. One of these is going to be the location you need to modify in order to permanently enable a Game Genie code. The value you'll need to change the byte to is listed in the tool in the box labeled Value. What you'll need to do is try hacking each of the bytes listed in the Possible Affected Rom File Addresses box with the value listed in the Value box until you find the one that does what you need. (If your Game Genie code is 8 characters long, I believe the Compare box will display the value that should be present at the address in order for the code to work, but I'm currently testing this out with a 6 digit code, so I'm not positive on that.) I just used this method to permanently hack in the 9 Lives code to Super Mario Bros and it worked.
lol true, that makes sense. and yea, making a trojan now would take forever to get right. anyhow I'm glad I didn't catch it, windows 98 used to be a bitch to reinstall.
Also, congrads on striking a blow for emulation rights. I'd love to see what happened if someone had downloaded that and used it to check it out and possibly try to use it against you lmao

as for FCEUX 2.0.2, O..k.. an emulator with the ability to hardcode codes into a ROM.. SWEET!! Thanks for pointing that out! If it works, I'll be able to twist the game restrictions just right to make sense with the new plotline, WHILE I PLAY, to make sure I got it right. It don't get much better then that.

edit: ok. I think I understood most of what you said, when I read over it closely. I got FCEUX 2.1.0 and configured the folders (though I forgot the game genie ROM, so it error'd me at first, but it was minor). I entered the code "AASLGZAI" which is "Enemies never run away by default; FEAR can still induce the enemy to run away, however.", it PISSES ME OFF when I get to a certain level, that most enemies just bolt, and I get 1 EXP and no GOLD as a result, so I wanted to make this permanant.
I got two codes listed as possible affected areas, but then I got a little lost when it came to hacking bytes.
But I think I found a better way, actually.
When I clicked the values to try to copy them, I could not, but when I double-clicked them, it took me into a HEX EDITOR to edit the specific ROM offset.
If I can use this hex editor, and save to the rom, then I've got my hack manually built in. If this was what you meant before, I thank you. If not, I think I found an easier way.
If It don't work, there is an alternative still.

I could use edit.com (or edit.exe lately) and edit "as a binary file", it's messy but it works if done just right.

edit #2: it works!
I simply refer to the compaire and value sections to see what I need to change the hex address to.
I also refer to the address area (after converting it from hex to normal values) to see which address is REALLY affected, rather then just guessing between multiple possibilities. I don't get why you said to ignore address, it's really been helpful. I simply go to the hex editor, and type in the new address, and "save to rom", and it's done.
also, this emulator freaking ROCKS!

Last edited by Gil; 05-29-2009 at 07:21 AM. Reason: I think I figured it out, wanted to let everyone know (yep, figured it out)
Gil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #13
Gil

New problem: some game genie codes like: TKKAVPIP (Fight more Kyzoku at sea.. from a minimum of 4 up to 6.) don' show any ROM file addresses to be affected, so there's nothing to click...
help?
Old 05-29-2009, 05:37 PM   #14
Reaper man

It may be an invalid code. I've seen invalid codes published before.
Old 05-30-2009, 01:08 AM   #15
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil View Post
New problem: some game genie codes like: TKKAVPIP (Fight more Kyzoku at sea.. from a minimum of 4 up to 6.) don' show any ROM file addresses to be affected, so there's nothing to click...
help?

That code gives me an Address of '89C6', a Compare of '15', a Value of '46' and a Possible Affected Rom File Address of '02C9D6'. I didn't actually test to see if the change worked, seeing as how I don't have any save files that would allow me access to the ocean.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 08:13 AM   #16
Gil

TAEKITVS
go to any port, walk into the ocean. You will turn into a SHIP until you go to another docking port.

AENGAIUY is CANOE any time, and GPOKPZPZ is AIRSHIP from anywhere any time code. (completing these quests makes these codes invalid, ship will appear wherever you left it last, same for airship, so don't freak if they're not where they're supposed to appear if you do the quests)

With these three codes, you can test anything you want regarding those items.

Thanks for the address btw.