Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-18-2009, 12:20 AM   #1
InVerse

Default Twitter

Dear Sirs¹

Let us discuss Twitter. I find that a majority of people who dislike Twitter don't actually understand what it is. At most, they mistakenly believe that it is being used for what it was originally intended to be used for, which is a constant update of one's status. (I will be quite shocked if Reaper man doesn't somehow equate Twitter with Apple.)

However, Twitter is used for quite a bit more than that. For instance, companies run contests via Twitter to draw attention to their products and services. People use Twitter as a news aggregator of sorts. Twitter can also be used to offer real time commentary on ongoing events.

This afternoon, I won a contest from T-Shirt Hell in which their followers were asked to suggest new slang terms for male and female genitalia. My winning entry was 'Sasha & Malia'. I got a free shirt, which is awesome, because I was thinking about buying a new shirt from them anyway. (The last shirt I bought from them was due to them offering a 50% discount via Twitter on the shirt that said "I don't need 140 characters to say Fuck You.")

So... Who uses Twitter? Do you update via your phone, the web interface or another application? Personally, I use the web primarily and my phone when a worthwhile tweet arises while I am away from the computer. I've tried to find a desktop application that doesn't suck balls, since I have multiple accounts, but thusfar they've all sucked balls. And not in the good way that involves my balls and someone else's mouth.

Cheerio,

-InVerse

¹ and Lillymon, I suppose, even though I'm pretty sure someone issued a TITS OR GTFO quite some time ago.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:01 AM   #2
jdev

I don't really have much interest in Twitter. If I can express an isolated thought in less than 140 characters, it probably isn't really worth recording or sharing.

For instance, the above post was 165 characters.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:30 AM   #3
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
I don't really have much interest in Twitter. If I can express an isolated thought in less than 140 characters, it probably isn't really worth recording or sharing.

For instance, the above post was 165 characters.
Ernest Hemingway once wrote a rather famous short story that was only 6 words long. If you can't express meaning with 140 characters, it says more about your own cognitive abilities than it does the medium.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:33 AM   #4
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
(I will be quite shocked if Reaper man doesn't somehow equate Twitter with Apple.)
what the hell is that supposed to mean?

oh, and yah.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:35 AM   #5
jdev

Yeah, but the only good things Hemingway ever did were shoot animals, drink himself almost to death and shoot himself. (although, to be fair, that was Hemingway's best work)

Time for copyright infringement!

"For Sale: Baby shoes, never worn."
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:39 AM   #6
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

I'm not really a fan of twitter. In fact, I only know one person who uses it, and he's trying to get rich off of web 2.0 by playing cacophony and therefore becoming the authority on being obsessed with himself.

However, alot of companies are making good use of it, and alot of entertainment news (lame) gets some information off of twitter. In fact, Vanier College has a twitter account where I can only assume they post important inormation about how swine flu will eventually kill us all.

Anyways, I don't really have any use for twitter, and when it comes to the social networking aspect of twitter, I already have facebook which aside from refreshing when I get home, I barely use.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:42 AM   #7
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
Yeah, but the only good things Hemingway ever did were shoot animals, drink himself almost to death and shoot himself. (although, to be fair, that was Hemingway's best work)
I apologize for replying to your initial post in this thread. I mistook you for someone who was entitled to an opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
what the hell is that supposed to mean?
I just presumed you would go on a rant about how much you hated Twitter. Also, why the fuck don't you capitalize man?
Old 09-18-2009, 03:10 AM   #8
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
I just presumed you would go on a rant about how much you hated Twitter. Also, why the fuck don't you capitalize man?
It's funny, I only tend to do that at the beginning of a paragraph. If I start a new sentence, I always capitalize. For some reason if I have a one sentence supply, I tend to get a bit lazy and not not use capitalization or punctuation. I guess it's just bad habit, or something.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:20 AM   #9
chiefmonkey

http://www.twitter.com/markbelgard

protected, but mainly to block spammers and things, just ask, i'll let you read 'em.
chiefmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:29 AM   #10
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
It's funny, I only tend to do that at the beginning of a paragraph. If I start a new sentence, I always capitalize. For some reason if I have a one sentence supply, I tend to get a bit lazy and not not use capitalization or punctuation. I guess it's just bad habit, or something.
I meant the 'man' in your username.