Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 09-18-2009, 03:32 AM   #11
jdev

Hemingway was awesome, Hemingway's writing sucked. I don't need six paragraphs to tell me what a damn orange tastes like, I'll just go buy an orange and eat it.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:39 AM   #12
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
what the hell is that supposed to mean?

oh, and yah.
LMAO
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 03:47 AM   #13
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdev View Post
Hemingway was awesome, Hemingway's writing sucked. I don't need six paragraphs to tell me what a damn orange tastes like, I'll just go buy an orange and eat it.
Are we talking about the same Hemingway who is famous for his minimalistic approach to writing and very sparse use of adjectives and adverbs?
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:09 AM   #14
The 9th Sage

Hmm...never really been that interested in Twitter as far as using it. It is interesting to me for what it is though (the various uses people have put it to, I mean). Maybe I should open a Twitter account....there is a homebrew DS Twitter app. For some reason that makes it a lot more attractive to 'tweet' to me.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 04:24 AM   #15
jdev

Yes, he in fact wrote several pages about the following story: I went fishing and ate an orange. Lookit that, I rewrote one of his short stories in seven words (on the other hand, I could probably do a couple pages about his six word story, which was, in fact, awesome). I don't particularly remember anything Hemingway wrote as being short, because it's so mind-numbingly boring it feels like forever has passed after every page. Which, to his credit, made The Old Man and the Sea brilliant. But, honestly, he was not an entertaining writer. His prose made me want to blow my brains out.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:08 AM   #16
The 9th Sage

Decided to try it out (here). Hopefully I'll remember that I even did this. Currently it's private though...I had a spammer within like an hour of registering. (hops onto bandwagon)

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 09-18-2009 at 06:15 AM.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:26 PM   #17
Isildur

So far I haven't really caught the Twitter bug. I'm not interested in constantly updating my status or following other people's daily minutia. I'm not interested in participating in promotional contests for free t-shirts and the like. If I want to check the news, I look at RSS feeds (which generally are better suited for that purpose) using my computer or cell phone. I did read some feeds during the Iranian protests, and I read a Girl Genius side story that was posted in installments on Twitter (feed here, archive of early segments of the story here).

(Incidentally, does anyone ever get confused, while reading the word "read", as to whether to read it in the present tense or past tense? I can't recall being confused by it on any particular occasion, so I guess the tense is usually fairly clear from the context, but writing the last sentence of the previous paragraph got me thinking about it. Maybe my mind is just wandering because I didn't get enough sleep last night. :P)

Also, while it may be true that many meaningful things can be written with 140 characters, it's still a severe limitation, because quite a few things are not best said in installments of 140 characters or less.

Perhaps other people find it useful, but I don't anticipate becoming a big user of it in the immediate future.
Old 09-18-2009, 03:53 PM   #18
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isildur View Post
So far I haven't really caught the Twitter bug. I'm not interested in constantly updating my status or following other people's daily minutia. I'm not interested in participating in promotional contests for free t-shirts and the like. If I want to check the news, I look at RSS feeds (which generally are better suited for that purpose) using my computer or cell phone. I did read some feeds during the Iranian protests, and I read a Girl Genius side story that was posted in installments on Twitter (feed here, archive of early segments of the story here).

(Incidentally, does anyone ever get confused, while reading the word "read", as to whether to read it in the present tense or past tense? I can't recall being confused by it on any particular occasion, so I guess the tense is usually fairly clear from the context, but writing the last sentence of the previous paragraph got me thinking about it. Maybe my mind is just wandering because I didn't get enough sleep last night. :P)

Also, while it may be true that many meaningful things can be written with 140 characters, it's still a severe limitation, because quite a few things are not best said in installments of 140 characters or less.

Perhaps other people find it useful, but I don't anticipate becoming a big user of it in the immediate future.

I agree. To me Twitter seems like Myspace Bulletins but summarized to 140 characters. When I was on Myspace and I kept my friends list small but still I found I would have tons of stupid bulletins and I would wonder why my friends would post stupid crap all the time. I'll pass.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:33 PM   #19
The 9th Sage

I know how you feel. I'll probably only use it for things that I don't feel like putting on my regular blog. Chances are no one will read them anyway.

Twitter
Old 09-19-2009, 08:38 PM   #20
EmuWikiAdmin
VIP (site admin -- emuwiki)

Twitter sucks in my advice. But I use it to diffuse ads to disabled people who can't read more than 140 characters without being tired. I can't believe the starter of this thread suggested that people who could not explain their ideas in less than 140 characters have less cognitive abilities. Twitter is totally overrated but that's all what the pseudo-techno-geek-aristrocracy has to talk about so that's why it got popular. Online encyclopedias are the way to go in the future, and I say that totally objectively :P
EmuWikiAdmin is offline   Reply With Quote