A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS!
You caught me, I'm really Jimmy Hoffa.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 01:01 PM   #22
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
A MISERABLE LITTLE PILE OF SECRETS!
I'm impressed, I wouldn't have pegged you for a Malraux fan.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 02:58 PM   #23
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
I'm impressed, I wouldn't have pegged you for a Malraux fan.
Either that or he's just played Castlevania SotN, which borrowed the line.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:14 PM   #24
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

My money's on Castlevania SotN.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2009, 11:35 PM   #25
InVerse

I've been thinking about playing that game, since there's a new translation for it out. So far, the only Castlevania that I've liked was Simon's Quest.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 12:48 AM   #26
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
I've been thinking about playing that game, since there's a new translation for it out. So far, the only Castlevania that I've liked was Simon's Quest.
I would give it a try, especially if you like (for example) Super Metroid. It's very much in the vein of that game, and in some ways is more like Simon's Quest than any of the other titles in that it has a large area to explore rather than just straight, move to the right levels.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 02:04 AM   #27
jdev

Super Metroid was awesome. I think it was in the top ten of IGN's 100 greatest games (although, I don't know how much stock to put into that list, since Halo was also on that list). Castlevania: SOTN was also on it, though not as high as Super Metroid.
jdev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2009, 11:32 PM   #28
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
It took years but finally I realized that I didn't believe in any god anymore. I also realized that I had to relearn a lot of things I took for granted like my thoughts about other religions and stuff that Christianity told me was wrong. In actuality these things weren't wrong but conflicted with the religion and would cause followers to question or abandon the religion if thought about with an open mind using logic.
Yeah, well, let me know how that works out for you.
During the past 40 plus years, since Sunday School, for that matter, I had an advantage. I was not only brought up in the Protestant religion (that's not the advantage, but it helped), but my mother did not force any beliefs on me. She said "Look, do the Sunday School thing. Then make up your own mind."
I did.
Knowing every religion is based on some sort of 'mythology', I decided that I'd know what to believe in when I ran into it. Still looking, kinda.
At any rate I know what not to believe in - what these jackasses we've elected and are paying to pass laws and protect us believe in. Cause they're not following the one rule that runs true in every religion I've ever heard of.
Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.
In other words treat other people the way you want to be treated.
So, taking that into consideration...who is actually following that one rule?
Not a whole bunch of us.
Very few of those in public office...even less in big business...apparently quite a few ministers, preachers and priests have problems following that rule.
I'm really disappointed. I was hoping, having seen the public was mature enough to elect an African American as a president, but not mature enough to use 'racist innuendo' in some of their protest signs recently.
After Obama was elected, someone remarked to me "We've come a long way."
Bullshit.
I'm believing only a few of us have...and we weren't the ones who needed to.
The rest of them need to keep going to church.
Maybe they'll figure it out.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 12:04 AM   #29
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Flash View Post
Yeah, well, let me know how that works out for you.
During the past 40 plus years, since Sunday School, for that matter, I had an advantage. I was not only brought up in the Protestant religion (that's not the advantage, but it helped), but my mother did not force any beliefs on me. She said "Look, do the Sunday School thing. Then make up your own mind."
I did.
Knowing every religion is based on some sort of 'mythology', I decided that I'd know what to believe in when I ran into it. Still looking, kinda.
At any rate I know what not to believe in - what these jackasses we've elected and are paying to pass laws and protect us believe in. Cause they're not following the one rule that runs true in every religion I've ever heard of.
Do unto others as you'd have them do unto you.
In other words treat other people the way you want to be treated.
So, taking that into consideration...who is actually following that one rule?
Not a whole bunch of us.
Very few of those in public office...even less in big business...apparently quite a few ministers, preachers and priests have problems following that rule.
I'm really disappointed. I was hoping, having seen the public was mature enough to elect an African American as a president, but not mature enough to use 'racist innuendo' in some of their protest signs recently.
After Obama was elected, someone remarked to me "We've come a long way."
Bullshit.
I'm believing only a few of us have...and we weren't the ones who needed to.
The rest of them need to keep going to church.
Maybe they'll figure it out.
I actually do try to live by that rule when I deal with others also but I often find people try to take advantage of that. Like I help them move and they won't help me, I loan someone a cigarette and they never have one for me or give me shit for not having my own.

I actually use a lot of the morals I learned when I was a Christian but I don't believe there is someone watching me or there is an afterlife. I just do it because it is the right way for me to live my life.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 05:07 PM   #30
puduhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
I loan someone a cigarette and they never have one for me or give me shit for not having my own.
I thought you quit? ;P

My favorite thing biblical Jesus did was freak out on the money-changers at the temple. I think that 'lobbyists on Capital Hill' is a rough equivalent. Jesus would be having a cow over the current state of things... but not in the context of the Republican party.

It's sad and infuriating that Christians in America were hijacked. With the exception of perhaps abortion, I think Jesus would be a most fervent opponent of the big business Republican platform.

Christians, just imagine your savior canceling your salvation on the basis that you failed to disclose all your sins before accepting Christ. Sounds a lot like rescission dropping expensive-to-cover policyholders on grounds that they failed to disclose pre-existing health conditions.

Speaking before the House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee Tuesday, former health insurance industry executive-turned-whistleblower Wendell Potter warned that if Congress "fails to create a public insurance option to compete with private insurers, the bill it sends to the president might as well be called the Insurance Industry Profit Protection and Enhancement Act."

Read more at: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/0..._n_287733.html