Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > General Chat > Talk of the Town

Old 06-10-2009, 06:12 AM   #1
shawn

Default Fucken MS

Fucken MS!!!!! I thought the internet was slower than fuck on a lot of sites but until I went to www.theregister.com I had no idea why.

Aparently MS like usual has released a bunch of patches all at once and with the usual settings every single person with windows today has been constantly downloading these updates.

Does MS even have a clue that it's better to release these updates as they happen and not to do them all in a bundle slowing down the entire internet. For smart guys these people sure are stupid when it comes to common sense. I bet there were terabyte upon terabyte shooting across the internet today updating all these people.

Gee can't wait till Firefox 3.5 comes out and the internet again becomes a crawl in a few weeks. :P
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 03:42 PM   #2
The 9th Sage

Er...so you'd rather have them wait on releasing patches that fill in security holes in Windows? Personally, I wish they'd release them MORE often.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
shawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Er...so you'd rather have them wait on releasing patches that fill in security holes in Windows? Personally, I wish they'd release them MORE often.
You misunderstood. They waited like they do with service packs and released a bunch at once and in doing so slowed down my ISP response time so much it took almost 30 seconds for page changes.

I actually wish they'd do what you said and release them immediately one at a time, not wait for a day of the week or day of the month or a prescheduled date , or till they had a bunch of them, and instead just release them the day they are approved for use.

That way instead of "just an example made up figure" releasing 10 MB of patches/fixes they instead release a single patch of 150K for just one fix.

The difference for a release day is say 50 million pc's in US alone downloading 10 MB per person/500 terabyte bandwidth usage in USA alone they are instead downloading 150k per person/7.5 terabytes bandwidth usage in USA alone. You see the difference in bandwidth is huge.

I imagine most ISP's were totally overwhelmed with people's computers set for automatic download hammering them to talk back and forth with MS dedicated servers.
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 AM   #4
Fla Flash
Staff (News -- Rom Hacking)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Why don't they just realease a fucking operating system without any fucking holes in it?
Just a thought.
Fla Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla Flash View Post
Why don't they just realease a fucking operating system without any fucking holes in it?
Just a thought.
Because it's impossible? No operating system the size of Windows could possibly be made without any major security hole.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:21 AM   #6
Bodomi

Windows 7 has it fairly good.
It bitches about any system changes.
If they'd just fix the programs to not try taking administrative priviledges.

Though I'm sure it can/will be exploited too.
Bodomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 03:44 AM   #7
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
Because it's impossible? No operating system the size of Windows could possibly be made without any major security hole.
That's what I was gonna say. An OS is such a huge undertaking, with so much code that it's almost inevitable that something'll be wrong with it.

Twitter
Old 06-11-2009, 07:13 PM   #8
Cornellius

Hrm... They do release them one by one. You get packs when you miss some of the updates. I also agree with those who say that, with that amount of code, it's impossible to get it right on the first write. Via Microsoft or Windows Update, you can select the updates that you want to install, so you can install them one by one if you want.Or you could select a download/install time for the updates when you're not using your computer. Seriously, today's standart is cable, dsl, etc. It's not worth making applications modem-friendly anymore.

Industrial electronic technician
Industrial mechanic (Millwright)
Cornellius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 10:59 PM   #9
Reaper man

with Windows 7 I have it alert me of new updates and I download/install them at my choosing.
Old 06-12-2009, 02:55 AM   #10
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornellius View Post
It's not worth making applications modem-friendly anymore.
Still kind of sad. I still think it's best to at least be concious of those who might have modems. I know some people who can't get faster internet because of where they live (though they would have it if they could).

Twitter