Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 06-03-2009, 01:07 AM   #41
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Wow. I know they are supposed to be an archive, but I know that if anyone had ever requested we take anything down from here it'd be down in a heart beat. That's pretty nasty to keep it up like that.
They got tired of people repeatedly requesting that their stuff be removed, due to so many people disliking the RHDN staff, so they put in a new "policy" that if you submit your own stuff, you can't request that it be removed. That doesn't apply to me, however, as I was rather incarcerated at the time my stuff was added to RHDN, so it clearly wasn't submitted by me. In fact, in one of their descriptions, they flat out admit that I said not to distribute a particular beta patch and then they go on to do so anyway.

So, I wouldn't take Nightcrawler's word for absolutely anything, especially something such as the Crimson Echoes debacle of which he played no part. (In fact, if you go to RHDN, you'll see that they've locked all threads related to Crimson Echoes and forbid anyone from discussing it in any form.)
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 PM   #42
Shadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
They got tired of people repeatedly requesting that their stuff be removed, due to so many people disliking the RHDN staff, so they put in a new "policy" that if you submit your own stuff, you can't request that it be removed. That doesn't apply to me, however, as I was rather incarcerated at the time my stuff was added to RHDN, so it clearly wasn't submitted by me. In fact, in one of their descriptions, they flat out admit that I said not to distribute a particular beta patch and then they go on to do so anyway.

So, I wouldn't take Nightcrawler's word for absolutely anything, especially something such as the Crimson Echoes debacle of which he played no part. (In fact, if you go to RHDN, you'll see that they've locked all threads related to Crimson Echoes and forbid anyone from discussing it in any form.)

Hard rules. But I think RHDN will continue until there's a better alternative.
It's always the same. If you say that so many others complain about RHDN, then start something better.

Regarding Chrimson Echoes @ RHDN: We shouldn't speculate too much. As long as there is no change on the official site, I go on and believe that the letter is real. And even if it is a fake, it doesn't bring us a final patch.
But the behaviour of RHDN is a little bit suspicious. Why should a romhacking site lock all topics of a romhacking project? It's weird. And I don't like it.
Shadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 06:51 PM   #43
snesmaster40

I believe they locked it because it was beginning to make people angry (posts with death threats at Square Enix, ect).
snesmaster40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 04:27 AM   #44
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by snesmaster40 View Post
I believe they locked it because it was beginning to make people angry (posts with death threats at Square Enix, ect).
Actually, if you go through old threads, you'll see that they have a history of locking any threads that don't agree with their own personal view on a particular subject. There are probably more than 100 threads that are locked, with the final post being one staff member or the other spouting off about why the original poster (or someone else in the thread) is wrong, and then locking the thread so that nobody can rebut the staff claims.

Of course, this is completely off topic. Regarding Crimson Echoes, I don't think anyone calling Square-Enix is going to be able to determine anything. If SE *didn't* send a C&D, they might still claim to have done so as a simple way of shutting down a copyright infringing project. I mean, think about it, if you ran a ROM site and got a C&D allegedly from Nintendo telling you to take it down, and then you called them to find out if they really did send one, they'd be pretty stupid to say no, because that would either encourage you to continue running the site or else would require them to then go out and send a real C&D in order to shut the site down.

On the other hand, if SE really did send out a C&D, they might lie to any uninvolved third parties that contact them in regards to the legitimacy of the C&D so as to prevent any ill will. It seems odd to me, however, that they would issue a C&D in regards to Crimson Echoes but not Prophet's Guile which was another hack (not as extensive, from what I've read) by the same people.

What a lot of people tend to forget is how exactly copyright law works. Even though Crimson Echoes wouldn't be sold for profit, even though you could potentially make a case that it could boost sales to Chrono Trigger DS (for the sake of argument), Square Enix is still legally obligated to protect their copyright. If they allow Crimson Echoes to go forward, they really have no legal basis for shutting down the next similar project, and after a few such projects, someone might decide to sell a Chrono Trigger hack for profit and, if SE attempted to sue them for doing so, a judge could very well look at all of the hacks that SE allowed to disseminate and rule that they had failed to protect their copyright and no longer possessed it.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 05:47 AM   #45
The 9th Sage

Quote:
On the other hand, if SE really did send out a C&D, they might lie to any uninvolved third parties that contact them in regards to the legitimacy of the C&D so as to prevent any ill will. It seems odd to me, however, that they would issue a C&D in regards to Crimson Echoes but not Prophet's Guile which was another hack (not as extensive, from what I've read) by the same people.
If I understand what they said on the Chrono Compendium (the home of these hacks) apparently Square told them to take down all that stuff (including Prophet's Guile and the Chrono retranslation). You'll notice that the entire hacking section is gone. Only trace of it left is the soundtrack. You'll find the link to the hack's page doesn't work. The album is worth a download if you like Chrono Trigger's music, btw (it has a lot of neat sounding variations of classic tunes). It's too bad about Prophet's Guile too, it was pretty good. It's not a whole game hack, but it's still probably about 8 - 10 hours of gameplay I'd say.

*edit*
Except that the soundtrack has the patch still within the zip. At least they were supposed to take it down (other things like the translation and the Collesium patch are definitely gone though). Perhaps I should notify them.

Twitter

Last edited by The 9th Sage; 06-04-2009 at 05:49 PM.
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 08:39 PM   #46
The 9th Sage

Argh...this video of the playthrough in particular is making me curse Square out even more.

This video. Since the embedding doesn't seem to be working right off for me.

Twitter
Old 06-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #47
shadowdorothy

I just heard this project just got shutdown. is it true?
Old 06-05-2009, 10:04 AM   #48
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
Argh...this video of the playthrough in particular is making me curse Square out even more.

This video. Since the embedding doesn't seem to be working right off for me.
The playthrough is awesome.
Old 06-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #49
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdorothy View Post
I just heard this project just got shutdown. is it true?
Yeah...about the closest we'll get to the near complete version of it is the video walkthrough they were working on before the C+D.

Twitter
Old 06-11-2009, 11:05 PM   #50
ZeaLitY
Chrono Extraordinaire

Quote:
Actually, if you go through old threads, you'll see that they have a history of locking any threads that don't agree with their own personal view on a particular subject. There are probably more than 100 threads that are locked, with the final post being one staff member or the other spouting off about why the original poster (or someone else in the thread) is wrong, and then locking the thread so that nobody can rebut the staff claims.
I know it's off-topic, but I've always been curious why Romhacking.net had so much drama. The closure of the CE threads was an example of this ridiculous locking going on, but I'm pretty sure they already don't like the Compendium over there because of the Chrono Trigger Retranslation. I wonder why they're down right now, too...

Well, I'm glad my old Zophar account is still working. These forums look great.
ZeaLitY is offline   Reply With Quote