Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 02-10-2009, 12:45 AM   #11
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowdorothy View Post
I've got Xp home edition. and I don't have a 64-bit os. It just won't run, I'm at a loss. do ethier of you have a download link? I may have gotten a corrupt copy and thats why it won't work.
The copy from ROMHacking.Net is fine. You have to run it from the command line, though, not by double clicking on it. Start -> Accessories -> Command Prompt. If you're using XP Home then you definitely don't need to bother with DOS Box for ROM Juice.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:32 PM   #12
shadowdorothy

I can't find it on RHDN. I used search and everything. but I can't find it. do you think they deleted it from the site?
Old 02-10-2009, 11:53 PM   #13
InVerse

If you're searching with a space in the name, that would explain why you can't find it. The official name is romjuice with no space. I just did a search and found it no problem.
Old 02-13-2009, 01:35 AM   #14
shadowdorothy

oh, ok thanks
Old 02-15-2009, 06:17 AM   #15
Gil-Galad

Why go to all the trouble. Just make a table file, use WindHex to finish your table file, as far as control codes go and anything else.

Download Cartographer, make a modified table, command file, and then dump the text. Make your edits on the dumped script file. Then use Atlas to reinsert the text. That's what I do.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 04:08 PM   #16
shadowdorothy

have download links?
btw my notepad won't let me use japanese text for some reason. And after trying command prompt I can't get romjuice to open either.
Old 02-15-2009, 04:57 PM   #17
Gil-Galad

Go to ROM Hacking.net Go there and download the stuff that you need. I also suggest that you read up on some basics there. Mainly getting started. Be patient, you'll eventually get it, if you want it enough. If ROM hacking was easy, everyone would do it.

Use another text editor or word processor to view the Japanese text, like NJStar for example. Some people prefer to use JWPCE as well. Also, EditPad Lite will also allow you to view the Japanese text if you convert the encoding in view. I also suggest that you use Shift-Jis encoding.

Most of those table file generators output EUC encoded Japanese text. It's wise to convert them to Shift-Jis before dumping your text. I convert mine in NJStar.
Gil-Galad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 12:41 AM   #18
shadowdorothy

EUC? Shift-Jis? you lost me.
I do know some basic stuff. I know how to make a table. I just can't put Japanese text in it. I have edit pad lite so i'm going to cut and paste my current table in that. I can't find cartographer btw, but i did find atlas.
oh and um, how can you add all six Japanese alphabets to your computer? I only have 2 installed.
Old 02-17-2009, 04:52 AM   #19
InVerse

EUC and Shift-JIS are just methods of encoding Japanese text. It's nothing you really need to be concerned with, just know which method your table file is in.

In order to see Japanese in Windows apps, you'll have to installed the Japanese IME, which usually requires your Windows XP CD to accomplish. Should be able to do it from the Add/Remove Programs window under Windows Components. However, rather than using Edit Pad Lite, it would be simpler to just use a Japanese word processor. Gil_ named the two most popular ones. Personally, I recommend JWPce because it's free.

Cartographer hasn't been officially released, so it's not in the RHDN database. Search on the forum and you'll find a thread with a link to the program. Keep in mind that it's in beta and there are still a lot of bugs, which is why it hasn't been released.

I'm not sure what you mean by six Japanese alphabets. The only two I know of are kana and kanji.