Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 05-24-2012, 09:55 PM   #1
UNCLEBEN

Default how to get them to work

when you download a rom hack on Zophar's Domin how the fuck do you get them to work on your emulator? sorry for cursing. do you need to have the original rom as well?
UNCLEBEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #2
InVerse

Yes, you have to have the original ROM. The hacks are distributed as patches because people mistakenly think that makes them legal.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
UNCLEBEN

thanks for the help but what emulator is best for playing the hack? for example nes n64 genesis gba gameboy snes & playstation

I tried using zsnes and snes9x which are two popular super nintendo emulators i have the original rom and then i tried loading the hack and then my computer said snes9x or zsnes depending on what i am using has stopped working do you or anybody have any solutions?

also i am running windows 7 and i have the most recent version of directx

also the hack that I am trying to play his final fantasy iii omnispoof
Old 05-25-2012, 02:36 AM   #4
InVerse

You have to make sure that the original ROM matches the exact same one that was used to make the hack. It's not enough for it to be the same game. Especially for Final Fantasy games, there are usually half-a-dozen or more possibilities, assuming the hacker wasn't a moron who used a bad dump.

If the ROM the hacker used had a header, your ROM has to have a header. If it didn't, yours can't either. If his ROM was interleaved, yours needs to be as well. Hopefully, the hacker explained all of this in the readme file that comes with the patch. Otherwise, you just have to keep trying random shit until something works.

ZSNES or SNES9x will both suffice for most ROM hacks, except for those that screwed around with the sound, in which case one of those emulators sounds like shit (but the game runs), I forget which one but I believe the one that sounds like shit is the one that's actually working right.

Running Windows 7 is probably a drawback when it comes to emulators but I haven't bothered trying it myself. I only emulate on XP.
Old 05-25-2012, 03:00 AM   #5
UNCLEBEN

but i also have the most recent version of directx
Old 05-26-2012, 02:21 PM   #6
InVerse

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCLEBEN View Post
but i also have the most recent version of directx
No you don't. The most recent version of Direct X only comes with Windows 8.

But the most recent version of Direct X for Windows 7 came out well over a year ago, so having that isn't exactly relevant. Especially since SNES9x only requires the version of Direct X that came out in... 1999.

ZSNES isn't much better and has been updated much longer ago. If you want an emulator that works on a fancy system, then look into BSNES, but if you can't get SNES9x and ZSNES working right, I don't expect you to do very well with BSNES either.