Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 AM   #1
Zeemis

Default FF6 Boss Hacking Q&A

Typically, people know FF6 as FF3 so I didn't say FF3 Boss hacking; people may misinterpret it as FF3 NES/NDS. :s

---------------------
Question
I'm starting to work on a rather advanced boss and need some help from fellow boss makers, if there are any at all. :X
Currently, FF6 doesn't have boss transformations like other Final Fantasy's do.
i.e, Exdeath to Neo-Exdeath or Zemus to Zeromus.

My boss will consist of a boss which transforms into another, so far I've got this working (sort of).
Check out what I've got so far:
http://www.mediafire.com/?zmymzoyjuai
(Folder zip contains an IPS and a save file)

Just get attacked at the Zone Eater area, I replaced Zone Eater with my boss to make the boss testing go faster.
Less frequent random attacks, so my boss will always show up.
What I've done is use a similar script to how Kefka is.
You fight the bottom, middle and top and then Kefka, working your way up.

My problem is that the screen glitches, I think that's because the script was programed for not only for a screen that is one long battle that scrolls up but for the same palette to be used on that background.

Can you guys think of another way to make a boss fight where the boss transforms into a completely new boss?

I've tried the one where you get a monsters life to a certain amount triggering an event where that monster dies automatically and a new monster is summoned but frankly ... the molds suck for FF6. :s

You can't make huge monsters and expect the molds to work with you. :/
Zeemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 09:24 PM   #2
Lenophis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeemis View Post
Question
I'm starting to work on a rather advanced boss and need some help from fellow boss makers, if there are any at all. :X
Currently, FF6 doesn't have boss transformations like other Final Fantasy's do.
i.e, Exdeath to Neo-Exdeath or Zemus to Zeromus.
That's not a question.

Quote:
My problem is that the screen glitches, I think that's because the script was programed for not only for a screen that is one long battle that scrolls up but for the same palette to be used on that background.
Did you use the formations originally used for the final battle setup? My computer disagrees with mediafile, so you'll have to answer that. If so, then there's your problem. The background the game uses is $33 (51 in decimal), and if you're using anything other than that then you will have problems.

Quote:
Can you guys think of another way to make a boss fight where the boss transforms into a completely new boss?
Picking up 1337 hax0ring azzembli skillz and doing them yourself would be the best way.

Quote:
I've tried the one where you get a monsters life to a certain amount triggering an event where that monster dies automatically and a new monster is summoned but frankly ... the molds suck for FF6. :s
Yeah, hardware limitations set up by engine limitations can do that.

Quote:
You can't make huge monsters and expect the molds to work with you. :/
You can, you just need to know what you are doing.

I was expecting a question and answer session, what was I thinking? =\