Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 AM   #1
HatterMadigan

Talking Help with FFTA pleez?

I am asking in the only way i know of, so any impoliteness is most probably accidental.

I am an FFTA nut. But more importantly, a viera nut! They're so cool! Anyway, i always wanted, ever since i first got this game, to make my own story line and sprites with viera having a major role. I was, I'll admit, a little envious of Ritz when I battled her all viera clan, so when I lost my SP, I dwnloded an emulator(VisualBoyAdvance) and got a ROM. Now I'm really interested in making my viera dreams come to life! I ask for hlp from people who are much smarter than me.

What I ask for is pretty much anything you can offer.

But a list of what I want usually helps in forums, i find, so here it is:

Tutorials, Editors(hex, text, wutever is good), helpful hints, and if you hve it, codes (codebreaker and gameshark), because I know there's a way to change sprites on there.

I know the codes are a little off, but they are for when I want to play the original in my own way (Ritz all the way!) teehee

Pretty much anything you have or any links you have would be great on the subject of hacking Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Much appreciated ttyl!

Luv ya!
HatterMadigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #2
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by HatterMadigan View Post
I am asking in the only way i know of, so any impoliteness is most probably accidental.

I am an FFTA nut. But more importantly, a viera nut! They're so cool! Anyway, i always wanted, ever since i first got this game, to make my own story line and sprites with viera having a major role. I was, I'll admit, a little envious of Ritz when I battled her all viera clan, so when I lost my SP, I dwnloded an emulator(VisualBoyAdvance) and got a ROM. Now I'm really interested in making my viera dreams come to life! I ask for hlp from people who are much smarter than me.

What I ask for is pretty much anything you can offer.

But a list of what I want usually helps in forums, i find, so here it is:

Tutorials, Editors(hex, text, wutever is good), helpful hints, and if you hve it, codes (codebreaker and gameshark), because I know there's a way to change sprites on there.

I know the codes are a little off, but they are for when I want to play the original in my own way (Ritz all the way!) teehee

Pretty much anything you have or any links you have would be great on the subject of hacking Final Fantasy Tactics Advance.

Much appreciated ttyl!

Luv ya!
That's, umm...that's just...wow. Umm...wow.

What "changes" do you plan to make to the sprites, eh? )=o

Click here to level up my card!

Rattlehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #3
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Well if you want to change the story, you could use a hex editor to change the text and a tile editor to change what the characters look like, but things like changing the main character into a viera (like chat classes in this case she can become) can become complicated. It probably won't be possible to change the cinematics without being some sort of mage.
You could probably work aroun the limitations though, like just take what's happening and make it fit to your story...

Hex editors go windhex, tile editor go tile layer pro. Get them here or at romhacking.net.
I assume you don't know how to use a hex editor to edit the text?
It's pretty simple just relative search words and if you're lucky there will be no compression. In that case all you have to do is make a table file and do whatever you want.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:25 PM   #4
HatterMadigan

I really want to make the main character a girl with a viera jobset, because we're the best(girls i mean)! jk. What I have... on specifics? I don't really have a detailed plan, just whatever floats my boat at the time, I guess. What would realy be cool is to create a new platform game into this plat... like A2 on VBA! :0 drool. I want a seeq so bad. They remind me of bulldogs for some reason... cute! But I think lengthening the job wheel might be possible, and that would be pretty cool... I know it's not yet possible for the orig FFT...

So, specifics? None, really. If I make something specific with you guys' help, then I will DEF post it on here!

Kissies! Mwa mwa

Thank you maxP! Love you! I actually have windhex yay! its because I had it for hacking FFT, but I never thought of hacking FFTA with it. im dumb. And I will definitely get the tile layer pro. I'll just mess around with it some to get used to it with FFTA, because the FFT thing was a little difficult for me... i used sentinalblade's tutorial video! TY SentB!

Last edited by Reaper man; 03-17-2009 at 12:36 AM. Reason: double post
Old 03-16-2009, 11:15 PM   #5
InVerse

If I remember correctly, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance uses standard ASCII text encoding, which means you won't even have to build a table file or search for the text, just open the ROM in any hex editor and scroll down until you find the text.

Data Crystal has some information on the FFTA page, so you may find something of use there.

Glancing at RHDN suggests that there are no programs specifically for FFTA (no tutorials, either) but that there is a text editor for FFTA2. I haven't played the sequel, but if what you're wanting to do could be done with the second one, you might consider hacking it, instead, since you'd have a pre-made text editor ready to go.

Also, I would recommend Tile Molester over Tile Layer Pro, as TM lets you adjust the block size, thus arranging the graphics how they appear in the game, rather than having to manually arrange them on the clipboard, but to an extent that's just a matter of opinion.
InVerse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 12:37 AM   #6
Reaper man

Quote:
I really want to make the main character a girl with a viera jobset, because we're the best(girls i mean)! jk.
Saaay, are you as cute as the avatar you're sportin'? ;p
Old 03-17-2009, 03:04 AM   #7
HatterMadigan

Aww, aren't you sweet. And to answer your question, a lot of people say that I look like her, and also that is part of the reason my boyfriend asked me out. (But don't ask how I know that, I have my ways ). And also why I posted this pic on here. A pic of me would be a little wierd for me... Too personal on a forum full of smarties

BTW she's VS's Adriana Lima.

SHE would be an awesome viera! OMG 'my' idea! *I claimed it*

Edit: I downloaded both Tile Molester and Tile Layer Pro to try them both out, but neither are working! I dwnloaded both TM files and only 1 of the TLPro files. Do I need both? Do I extract them with WinRar? Please help.

Last edited by HatterMadigan; 03-17-2009 at 03:36 AM.
Old 03-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #8
Reaper man

Quote:
Aww, aren't you sweet. And to answer your question, a lot of people say that I look like her, and also that is part of the reason my boyfriend asked me out. (But don't ask how I know that, I have my ways ). And also why I posted this pic on here. A pic of me would be a little wierd for me... Too personal on a forum full of smarties
oh wow, your boyfriend is a very lucky man. ;p
Old 03-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #9
Maximum Potion
Staff (news - ROM hacking/translations)

Quote:
Edit: I downloaded both Tile Molester and Tile Layer Pro to try them both out, but neither are working! I dwnloaded both TM files and only 1 of the TLPro files. Do I need both? Do I extract them with WinRar? Please help.
I'm pretty sure all you have to do is extract the files into any directory and then run the .exe file.
Old 03-18-2009, 01:46 AM   #10
HatterMadigan

Ok, um... this may be a little off hacking, but I'm having trouble with my Codebreaker. The thing is, I thought It would be cool to have my main be Ritz, so I did all that with the CB code: 82000084 1F04
82000086 1F04
(1F - Fencer) (First 04- Ritz) (Second 04- Viera)

But that only gets me Ritz as a fencer. I thought that putting in all the possibilities would make that so, but I am wrong. It only records the last one. And 0004 doesn't work either, because that makes it so Ritz is jobless. Any suggestions? Or does anyone have an answer for me? I'm gonna work out some more of this, and if I find anything good, I'll post.