Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > General Emulation

Old 01-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #11
The 9th Sage

How strange. Gameboy Advance emulators are actually pretty good these days, I'm suprised they are not working. :P Another question...no$gba was tried, so I doubt this is the problem, but have you tried using an emulator that supports the GBA BIOS? I know VisualBoy Advance can use the BIOS...no$gba may be able to, but I can't honestly remember.

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 08:29 PM   #12
whocrazy

Yes I've tried both VBA and no$GBA with bios enabled, and yes, I've got a bios file and have set no$gba and VBA to use it, still no luck though.
whocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:50 AM   #13
gutzsant

My second guess was right. I've confirmed (more or less) that Rocky is unplayable with the "clean" rom. You must use the original release that is "hacked". The specific issue is with the EEPROM, it seems. If I recall correctly, this also happened with other games, but most of use didn't really care. I believe that you have the "perfect" dump of the rom, which means you can't actually play it on emulators unless you modify something (what exactly, I don't know, I've never bothered to play those games). The CRC32 of the working Rocky rom that I've tested is E1702B0A. This is a semi-fixed version, as it only removes the intro added of the original release (0741 by Venom).

I'm assuming Top Gun must have a similar issue. Get the first relased dumps and you will be able to play them. You could actually hack them yourself, but it's been a long time since I did that and I don't remember how exactly and can't tell you how. There is a tool developed by no-intro which might help you. But honestly, it's easier if you get the hacked dumps.
gutzsant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 04:53 AM   #14
The 9th Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutzsant View Post
My second guess was right. I've confirmed (more or less) that Rocky is unplayable with the "clean" rom. You must use the original release that is "hacked". The specific issue is with the EEPROM, it seems.
In that case, it's possible that save patching it will help. You could also try a tool like GBATA instead of redownloading the ROM (trying to find this scene release I mean).

Twitter
The 9th Sage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 05:02 AM   #15
BIrvine

I can confirm both of these roms don't work with Visualboy Advance using the US versions. You'll want to get the GoodGBA romsets, not No-Intro, as both of these have 'fixed' [f1] versions. You'll want "Rocky (U) (M5) [f1][hIR00].gba" and "Top Gun - Combat Zones (U) [f1]" and they'll both work fine.
BIrvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 06:53 PM   #16
Reaper man

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIrvine View Post
I can confirm both of these roms don't work with Visualboy Advance using the US versions. You'll want to get the GoodGBA romsets, not No-Intro, as both of these have 'fixed' [f1] versions. You'll want "Rocky (U) (M5) [f1][hIR00].gba" and "Top Gun - Combat Zones (U) [f1]" and they'll both work fine.

Am I the only one bothered by the fact that you need fixed versions of the roms for them to work? Makes me feel that GBA emulation isn't accurate enough. I mean, if it's an SRAM issue, they should have made a small GBA header stating SRAM size or anything else that may differ from cart to cart.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #17
whocrazy

Hi guys. if I were to transfer these 2 dumps over to the real thing, would they work? I tried using gbata, but the remove intro option was disabled, as well as the fix header option, I also tried the sram patcher, but that didn't work either. Unless there's a more recent version of gbata than the one I found through google.
so I guess we'll have to wait for GBA emulation to get better.
whocrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 PM   #18
BIrvine

I know with the EFA Flash card, they'll probably work. I can't vouch for these specific games, but I know others with similar issues in VisualBoy Advance worked fine with real hardware. As mentioned before, try finding the fixed versions.
BIrvine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2009, 01:21 AM   #19
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reaper man View Post
Am I the only one bothered by the fact that you need fixed versions of the roms for them to work? Makes me feel that GBA emulation isn't accurate enough.
I agree. You're not 'fixing' the ROMs, you're breaking the ROMs. At some point, emulators will get more accurate and the 'fixed' ROMs may well stop working, but the ROMs (and use of older emulators) will be widespread enough that users will encounter problems and blame the emulator. Reminds me of older, broken versions of Internet Explorer giving us the nightmare that is 'quirks mode'.

Ideally, the ROMs shouldn't be modified at all, it's the job of emulators to be modified in order to work properly with the original ROMs. Doing things any other way is an ugly hack that will come back to bite us eventually.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:49 AM   #20
gutzsant

It's not a SRAM issue but an EEPROM issue. I believe that both games have this error in the actual cartridges, but the real hardware somehow manages to work despite that failure. In fact, several real cartridges had issues with the EEPROM, the most famous being Super Street Fighter II: Turbo Revival. Since Rocky and Top Gun weren't popular games, probably no GBA programmer bothered to make a specific fix for these games, since it's not a common problem and they weren't popular like Boktai or Pokemon anyway.

And whocrazy, Since this is an EEPROM issue, I think that you would need to apply a patch to make them work. IMHO, it's easier to look for the hacked dumps. Is there a hacker around here that can help whocrazy?
gutzsant is offline   Reply With Quote