Zophar's Message Domain

Go Back   Zophar's Message Domain > Emulation Talk > Rom Hack

Old 03-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #1
Premier Grunt

Default Changing the graphics in a Pacman ROM?

I'm new here, so if I posted this in the wrong place let me know. Anyway, I'm having a bit of trouble. Me and a friend of mine had an idea for a parody of pacman. So basically all we want to do is change the graphics in a pacman rom. However, we want to use the arcade version of pacman because we intend to build a mame arcade cabinet with this(mainly as a joke, but also because we want an arcade machine for our basement)

We did a bunch of research, and found this program called Turaco/AGE. It was a dos program so I downloaded DOSbox and got it working no problem. Turaco works fine, but here is the problem: whenever we try to load the pacman rom, it says "pacman.5e not found" and it doesn't load in the graphics editor. The weird thing is, I have that file along with all the others in a directory for pacman. I unzipped the file like it says as well. For the record I'm using windows 7, but I doubt that has anything to do with it.

If anyone can help me with this problem, or point me to another utility that can change the graphics in a pacman rom, please do.

Thanks in advance.
Premier Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
Reaper man

it's possibly becasue arcade ROM files change over time. Files get renamed, added, etc when better dumps come out and such. It's very well possible that the old utility only works on a really old rom(set).
Old 03-22-2011, 12:30 PM   #3
Premier Grunt

Thanks for the feedback. Since I can't get Turaco to work, does anyone know of any other graphics editing tools I could possibly use?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
Reaper man

It's possible tile molester may work if you fuck with it enough (you'll need to find the palette info and make it yourself), but you're going to run into the issue that most, if not all, arcades do an integrity check on all rom chips, so there may be a chance that it'll error on you when you load the roms up.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Premier Grunt

Thanks, I'll give it a try.
Old 03-24-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
Premier Grunt

Sorry for the double post, but Tile molester did not work at all. Turaco/AGE seems to be the only mame graphics editor. If anyone has any tips on how to get this up and running please feel free to chime in. Also here's a link to the program for those who are wondering what I'm talking about

http://umlautllama.com/projects/turaco/

For the record I tried running this on 3 different machines, Windows 7, Windows XP and Windows ME. All with the same "pacman.5e not found" error. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:50 PM   #7
Reaper man

you could run it aon any windows OS, the fact still remains that the utility is old and is trying to look for a file from an outdated rom that has since been changed. Only thing you can do is get a hold of the developer of the utility and whine request that he update said utility.
Old 03-25-2011, 06:26 PM   #8
Premier Grunt

Would it be possible to find the outdated rom? Just curious.
Old 03-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #9
Reaper man

Not to my knowledge, and there's a very good chance that it wouldn't work in mame even if you found it.

You may want to ask around on a MAME board/chat room. They might be able to help.