View Single Post
Old 07-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #58
mushroom blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by packardmelan View Post
I am a member of "Generation Y". And I'm a pirate. This appears to be a culture that is quickly becoming mainstream, especially in America. You can get anything from the media in some bootleg way. Movies on DVD while they're in theater. Non-DRM MP3s from torrent files. Chiptunes. Video games ROMs. ISOs.
Lawrence Lessig had a wonderful TED Talk on exactly this subject. the synopsis is that my generation and your generation (and all successive generations) have been taught that they are going to break the law on a day-to-day basis. we do it with movies, music, television, video games, drugs, jaywalking, peeing in public, etc. it's one of the first signs of corporate facism. at least Portugal and Quebec have a reasonably fair version of benevolent facism implemented, where the only time it gets in your way is when you break one of the few laws. the facism in America seems to be run by those with the most money, at the cost of everyone else. laws are made to ensure revenue for a few, rather than ensure liberty for the many.

just remember: in a fully free-market, there are no copyright restrictions.