View Single Post
Old 07-18-2008, 06:48 AM   #48
Xeon3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by SparroHawc View Post
Doesn't matter how old you are, if you ransack forums making posts asking "HOW DO I GET THIS ROM LOL" you are a ROM Kiddie. ...which, I think, was Xeon's point.
Nope, I wasn't saying that he's a ROM Kiddie. Not in that way. It was more in the way of "ZD HAS TO HAVE ROMS!" since he's so supportive of it.

Quote:
Actually, I want to know what rule 45 is too...
And the mistery continues...

Google results say that Rule 45 of your civil code is related to subpoenas and that rule 45 of the USA criminal code speaks about extending time?
And I thought google helped everytime...

Quote:
Whoa, whoa there Xeon! Take a deep breath... You're going into flame mode. If you're going to get snarky at him, you ought to at least be subtle about it. For the most part, this has been a fairly calm and level-headed discussion (surprisingly). Let's keep it that way, mm?

Incidentally, Soushkin gave a good rebuttal to this comment already.
Hey, I'm cool. Actually I'm just replying for the fun of it, as I've got nothing funnier to do ATM. I was just trying to end that point. Since he said that "if they're doing it and are not getting caught why should we do it as well", I was just trying to prove that that way of thinking was wrong. Maybe the serial killer was a bit exaggerated but it was the first thing that came to mind.

Quote:
Again, it comes down to this... It's illegal to host commercial ROMs.
Behold, for he speaks the truth!

Quote:
There is a good chance that it is also illegal to host music rips from games, but there's no reason to suspect that anyone will come after ZD for hosting the music when it's such a fringe item. (Technically, hosting fanart on a page with ads is also illegal, but I don't see DeviantART complaining about cease-and-desist e-mails.)
It's illegal. The fact that we are or we aren't getting complaints about it doesn't change the legal or not level. There are legal things or illegal things, I have yet to see a (input percentage level here)% illegal thing.

Quote:
I, personally, have seen SEVERAL ROM sites go down due to legal activity, making hosting ROMs a high-risk activity.
Oh, so did I... good old times those were. (and no, I'm not nostalgic this time, lol)

Quote:
The subdomain ROM hosting on ZD is plausible deniability; it will either go away or it will stay, and either way it shouldn't affect the main ZD site. Especially considering how the poll seems to be turning out.
I don't really think we're hosting the ROMS. I think he's getting them from some other place. At least the roms aren't hosted on roms.zophar.net, they're on a xxx.yy.zzz.aaa (IP only) server, and I can't really bother to go check where it'll lead.

Last edited by Xeon3D; 07-18-2008 at 06:51 AM.