View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 09:24 PM   #22
Xeon3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paladyn View Post
Why bother going through all that effort? I don't see what's so wrong about cramming 18 DS games you bought onto a flash card so you don't have to carry around all of them; or, in the case of the PSP, one or two games off of your MS Pro Duo so you don't waste battery charge on running the UMD drive. I don't consider any of that pirating.
No. That may not be piracy. But that's what all flash cart owners do right? Just for their own games. Please do note that what I'm going to say afterwards may not apply to you. I'm not saying that you do pirate, but there's a word in my language ("cínico" which roughly translates to "one who says one thing and makes the point that that's only what he does while he does completely the opposite", I don't know the translation to english).
Most people, as soon as this topic goes into debate say that that's all they use their flashcards \ exploits \ modchips for. That and homebrew of course.
I don't really understand why there are so many ROM sites and why commercial ROMs are so requested.

Quote:
Whatever. Your English is better than many native speakers.
Thank you. I reckon it's quite good, but there's another level that I plan to achieve.

Quote:
As for the original topic, rattlehead is not a lawyer. While I'm not one either, it does help sometimes if you read the laws, rulings, and exceptions. The ruling applies to the anti-circumvention provisions of the DMCA. That means that it only allows certain people (libraries and archives) to bypass copy protection measures in order to serve their function as a library / archive. While the legal definition of what an archive is or isn't could be a little murky, the organization would still have to own a copy of the original work. Furthermore, the copy they would get from circumventing any of the original work's copy protection would be for archival purposes only. This ruling doesn't let you offer games to everyone and his brother.
So basically, what you're saying is that it's illegal to host commercial ROMs. That's all I've been telling these guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapu View Post
Well, I mostly agree on many opinions I've read in this thread so far. ZD should *not* be a place where to find illegal ROMs. There's plenty of other sites for that.
True. Will the thread opener please add a poll to the topic? I'd love to see the results.

Quote:
What I come to ZD for is the... ambience, for lack of a better word. I know that here I'll find people who truly love gaming, as I do, and I'll be able to share experiences and in-jokes with them. And hell, maybe download a translation patch, a public domain rom or two, or some technical documentation.
Spirit maybe? I totally agree with the rest.

Quote:
I've asked for this on another thread before, but you know what? To all of you guys who'd like ZD to keep with it's original spirit, and in the meantime help even a little bit to stop piracy, why don't you upload guides to make ROM dumpers for different systems? God knows that if I ever find one, I'd build it ASAP and start dumping all of my carts. Even some crazy HK originals I have that arne't around the inet, just for historical purposes. After all, I'm pretty sure those aren't illegal to have, right?
To my knowledge there aren't that many "homemade ROM copier" how-to, schematics or diagrams. Your best bet could be buying a used one from eBay / CG. Other option would be finding a respected scene member that owns a copier and send the carts to him. People used (and maybe still do) to use that scheme with arcade boards for the MAME project. And, yes, I don't think those would be illegal to have since you own a physical copy of the "work" so the copy you made can indeed be called a Backup which is allowed by your Law.

Also, I don't think we're here to help stop piracy. We're just not promoting (?) it. Note that this is a topic about ZD. I don't think we should give a crap about what other websites do, and I don't really know of an Emulation Website that does indeed distribute commercial ROMs (note that I'm speaking about Emulation websites and not those ROM sites that also distribute the emulators as well.).

To finish, I'd like to thank you all for your opinions on this, even if I think that this discussion shouldn't be here on the first place. It is Zophar's Domain afterall.