View Single Post
Old 02-01-2014, 04:06 PM   #4
InVerse

Then you're going to have your work cut out for you. Hacking the text in a Playstation game isn't a simple matter of hex editing.

First of all, you have to figure out where the script is located. That can be quite difficult in and of itself. Every game has it's own file system. There's not just going to be a file named "script.txt" that has all of the games text in it.

Once you do figure out where the script is located, you have to extract it. If you're lucky, it won't be encrypted/compressed and will only use simple encoding.

After that, you can't just change all the words to English and shove it back in the game. If the file isn't the exact same size as it was before, which is pretty much guaranteed to be the case when translating from Japanese to English, then you have to hack the game so that it knows where it's looking for the text, and any other files that got moved because of file sizes.

There's also the fact that if the game doesn't already have an English font, you'll have to hack one in.

I'm curious as to where you've seen "so many PS1 games translated", though. RHDN's archive only shows 18 games translated into English and 36 translated into other languages. Out of 2400+ total games, that's not very many at all.