View Single Post
Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 PM   #5
Kilyle

Cool Will do

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
...a 16x16 font doesn't store the text any differently than if it were an 8x8 font. One byte still equaled one font character, with a table somewhere else in the ROM presumably telling the game which tiles corresponded with which values.
Makes sense.

Quote:
My suggestion would be to try a basic relative search. If that doesn't uncover anything, then try a second search using wildcards between each value, in case the game does use 2 byte values.

Do the lists you said you found use a different font than the dialogue text?
A basic relative search for "haz" (from "Chaz") turns up tons of occurrences. A basic search for "ready" turns up one at 002A-A712 (A=19, a=39, 0=08), a set of values I've gotten for a couple other words too. A search for "work" grants four possibilities, but none match the one for "ready." Ergo, MTE seems likely. I'm up for that challenge.

I haven't played the game in a while (guess I should ) but I believe the menus have a one-tile font, and that's probably the font used for all the names of monsters and items and such - hence, the list I found. But I didn't find that font in Tile Layer Pro. I'll go back and look more thoroughly.

I'm hoping to locate, eventually, the gorgeous cut-scene panels that the game uses. It would be nice to see where these are stored and mess with them, see if I couldn't come up with another picture instead, or like, change the colors on their clothes or something.

Anyway, more work for me to see. Thanks for the info so far!

Last edited by Kilyle; 08-26-2009 at 11:41 AM. Reason: Must've been tired.
Kilyle is offline   Reply With Quote