View Single Post
Old 07-16-2008, 09:38 PM   #16
Xeon3D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillymon View Post
I believe SwampGas once said the rule was that new boards were made based on demand. A lot of people wanting to sell things resulted in the Classifieds, and a lot of political topics resulted in the Backroom. While things may have changed since then, I for one think that this is a sensible way to go about things. Since we have very little use of the boards right now, I think new ones would just make the place look even more empty.

Let's just wait for a while and see which boards are used and what topics people decide to start in Talk of the Town. We can use those two factors to determine which new boards are needed and which old boards should be folded into others.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugly Joe View Post
These both seem a bit excessive to me. Everything else looks good.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CVMagic View Post
I honestly think that image boards now-a-days are completely overused mainly due to 2chan/4chan's on going phenomenon, and well along with UBB Style of discussion boards they too have been overused but for the type of site this is it works best as is.

Secondly, I do believe that the smaller category setup works best for smaller forums but once we hit the magical number of 5,000 threads or ~11,000 posts you have to create sub-categories. Also something to definitely look at is to perform some sort of clean up unless you know as a fact that the said categories' threads are note worthy or have useful information worth archiving.

Third, Edman you should really look into using the sudo-cron feature in Vbulletin to clean up the inactive members here with zero posts on a regular basis. If you would like I can provide you the script needed to perform that if you don't have one or don't know how to create it. Now while over three thousand members may seem impressive at first glance to visitors at the same time it also shows how inactive your forum seems by the lack of posts the majority of your members have under the member-listing; that wont really scare away anyone who really would like to join the community but at the same time no one will be impressed by it and it creates a hassle for anyone who wishes to sign up only to find out their name is taken by an inactive member.

- Carlos
I totally agree.
Xeon3D is offline   Reply With Quote