View Single Post
Old 11-28-2005, 04:15 PM   #8
Dark Knight Kain

Default Re: The Decline of ROM hacking.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

Most newcomers to rom hacking aren't aware of how much work was done beforehand and take the tools that are available for granted. I mean, God forbid you take an hour to play with a tile viewer or read a document on how tiles are typically stored in a rom. Old hackers had to edit graphics in a hex editor or create their own tools. Instead of being grateful for these tools, most newcomers do nothing but complain about not getting instant results.

<hr></blockquote>

You can really see this now-a-days, when I first started all I had were outdated translation guides, but I knew well enough that if there were new programs available to use them instead (I remember when I first used DirectEd instead of Naga, it was like night and day in terms of how much I got done, same thing when I found TLP, and now YY-CHR). From there on it grew, I learned a lot more on my own than I ever did from any guide.

I think that's the problem, most of the newbies I see just ask questions rather than trying on their own. I remember I didn't even post on a ROM hacking forum until I had about a year's worth of experience, and then it was asking a simple question about NES palette editing, I didn't ask for offsets or anything, even though I knew they were available.

<blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr>

The other part of it is that is can be hard to remain focused. Rom hacking is essentially useless. I mean, you can't put this stuff on your resume. Finding motivation can be very hard, so I think most new projects devolve into months-long delays and eventual abandonment.

<hr></blockquote>

I've always felt that if future game developers can put down their Doom/Quake/Half-Life mods and levels than I should be able to put down CV Retold. I think I seriously am going to if I aply to be a level designer.

As for long delays, it seems like the average ROM hacker wants some huge overhaul and doesn't know how to go about it, I'll bring up CV Retold again, I made its levels in one week, but it took me another two to actually make them fun to play, tweaking and adding things until they were perfect. Most other ROM hackers probably would've focused on getting one level perfect and then moving on to the next, which drains your time and your motivation to get it done. When you've got a ROM full of half-finished levels you're more inspired to actually do something with it.
Dark Knight Kain is offline   Reply With Quote