Thread: Piracy poll
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:12 PM   #7
Isildur

Quote:
Originally Posted by The 9th Sage View Post
I have some movies and music, but at the same time I don't like a lot of piracy. If it's something I truly like I'd rather support those who made it. It kills me when I go on certain web forums and listen to all these people who pirate every single game they can just because they can. Then they complain when their pirated games don't work. :P Very irritating. I pirate more for things I can't get or watch otherwise, like HD movies, or fan subs.
I'm a lot like that. I have some mp3s (mostly single tracks from here or there, rather than whole albums), roms for which I don't own the cartridge (is it ok to say that here? =P ), and fansubs of anime series whose now-available licensed editions I haven't bought, but I don't like pirating on a enormous scale, and for software, if I don't want to pay for some hugely expensive program (e.g. Photoshop), I'll often try to to make do with freeware substitutes (e.g. GIMP). I too get annoyed by people who boast about pirating everything under the sun.

To tell the truth, I don't really feel right about even the piracy I do engage in, yet I don't anticipate deleting all my illegal stuff in a fit of guilt in the near future; I realize there's an inconsistency between my conscience and practice, even if I don't pirate as much as many people.I suppose recognizing the inconsistency makes me a willful wrongdoer rather than an inadvertant hypocrite. Is that worse? =P