View Single Post
Old 12-01-2005, 01:27 AM   #14
MooglyGuy

Default Re: OMG won't someone think of the children!!!1/1!eone

> YOU"RE NOT THINKING OF THE CHILDREN! WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE
> THINK OF THE CHILDREN!
>
> That's what I think the ol' government would reply to you.

To which I would reply: There's no law that says R-rated movies, which are the exact MPAA equivalent of the ESRB's M-rated games, can't have kids attend. It's completely voluntary on the part of the theaters, but somehow I don't see Hilarity using them as something to be taken advantage of for nothing more than political gain (you can't honestly tell me she's doing this just because she cares about the precious children). You don't see people actively campaigning to ban them from children. Why? Because that would make R-rated movies exactly the same as X-rated movies. We already have an Adults Only videogame rating. The majority of game retailers don't stock AO-rated videogames, same as they don't stock X-rated movies. Why do we need to make M effectively be the exact same rating as AO? Why are games portrayed as digital serial-killer-makers that need to be banned from small children when movies are hardly given a second thought? I submit that seeing real human beings "getting killed" is, if anything, more effective on a child's psyche than killing some polygonal haitians.
MooglyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote