Thread: Piracy poll
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2009, 06:39 AM   #4
Lillymon

Quote:
Originally Posted by InVerse View Post
It may be irrelevant to the information you're seeking, but I would have included a separate option from #1 for people who pirate media but then go on to purchase it if it is sufficient quality. I have a stack of CDs on my dresser that are unopened because I previously pirated them and then purchased them later because I enjoyed them so much. And on a related vein, I have several CDs that I've purchased after pirating other albums by the same artist.

It's not so much that I think there's nothing wrong with piracy as it is that there is so very much wrong with capitalism. Kid Rock is solely to blame for my piratical tendencies. After purchasing his album Devil Without A Cause and discovering that it was absolutely horrid, I vowed to never again purchase an album without having listened to it first.
Second this. I'm not buying an album without knowing if I like it first, and I have bought an album after first pirating it once already (though only once, given how little contemporary music I actually like).

PC games are another matter. I might buy the game if I like it, but obnoxious DRM and Linux don't mix, so I only play pirated versions because they have the advantage of actually working.