Old 07-21-2007, 08:05 PM   #9
CEpeep

Default Re: ORDERD MY NEW LAPTOP!!! :)

> The chip wars between AMD and Intel (and ATI /
> nVidia) even recently yielded the Core2 Duo and rock-bottom
> AMD prices. Compare this to Apple's sticking with its
> stagnant and overpriced PowerPC line until the open-hardware
> market left it in the dust.

They won't make the same mistake twice. It cost them money and market share last time. If Intel and nVidia get lazy, you can bet Apple will be moving on and finding new business partners.

> Of course, none of this is a problem while the hardware's
> competitive and I'm getting a good deal, but I'm not looking
> forward to visiting the Mac store in 6 months

In all fairness, people who need a new Mac every six months don't care about the price, or they have Apple's tower machines which have upgradeable components (the same ones a PC uses, aside from video cards). Software version upgrades for OS X are always $129 ($69 for students).

> I agree with that, and I'd sooner buy a laptop from Apple
> than a PC, as I think we discussed in an earlier thread.
> Still, Mac's lowest laptop offering's around $1k, whereas
> generic PC notebooks go as low as $500.

Sure, but the $500 laptops you see are rarely current generation hardware. If you're gonna compare hardware from previous generations, I've seen MacBooks for $699. They're spec'd out roughly the same as the $599 systems I've seen at Dell and such but they get better battery life, are lighter, have built-in cameras, etc. Apple has higher R&D costs than other OEMs, so the very low end of the spectrum (those $200-300 PCs you see at Best Buy) just aren't profitable for them.

> I mean the GUI. I prefer a user interface to be simple,
> unobtrusive, and functional -- I don't want things zipping
> and zooming and wrapping and bouncing around my screen all
> the time. Vista's a huge step in the wrong direction, but XP
> is just about right.

As someone with a lot of HCI experience, most people (not necessarily you, though) respond better to organic interfaces than artificial ones. The Mac OS GUI (and Vista's to an extent) are designed to behave as you'd expect things in the real world to. If you turn a page in a book, the previous page doesn't instantaneously turn into a new one. It moves to the side and reveals the next one behind it. The "zipping and zooming" happens in every OS, it's just that the Mac spends more effort showing you where whatever you switched from went so you can find it again easily. A GUI shouldn't just be a bunch of text boxes lying on a 2D surface. It should be natural, like papers and objects sitting on a desk. OS X and Vista are only a glimpse of the kinds of interfaces we'll see in the future, but they're definitely on the right track. I assume you've seen the http://youtube.com/watch?v=0ra5tp7K--ISeadragon demo</a>, but if not, check it out. It's the future of computing.

<P ID="signature"><font size="-2">09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0</font></P>
CEpeep is offline   Reply With Quote