Old 07-21-2007, 05:30 AM   #5
icenine0

Default Re: ORDERD MY NEW LAPTOP!!! :)

> As someone who ran the OS on generic PC hardware (I made the
> front page at Neowin), I believe there's a method to Apple's
> madness. Their control over the hardware is what keep them
> from having to write, maintain and support a retarded number
> of drivers/devices.

It also conveniently prevents third-party manufacturers from horning in on their vertical market integration.

An open platform has been a very, very good thing for PC consumers. The chip wars between AMD and Intel (and ATI / nVidia) even recently yielded the Core2 Duo and rock-bottom AMD prices. Compare this to Apple's sticking with its stagnant and overpriced PowerPC line until the open-hardware market left it in the dust.

They've adopted Intel now -- another exclusive (albeit more open) chip provider, but I don't see their behavior as changing. Between their http://www.macobserver.com/article/2006/03/16.6.shtmlclosure of AAC</A>, http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/fast-and-...pps-267899.phphoarding of the iPhone SDK</A>, and aforementioned hardware isolation, they appear to be the same old Apple: a company that wants to control everything and only concedes ground due to consumer pressure -- not so different from Sony with their AC3 and UMD.

Of course, none of this is a problem while the hardware's competitive and I'm getting a good deal, but I'm not looking forward to visiting the Mac store in 6 months (instead of NewEgg or Google Product Search,) looking for a software or hardware upgrade, and being forced to pay whatever's deemed reasonable for the glitzy Santa Monica crowd Apple caters to with its $599 portable phone.

In short, Apple's philosophy seems to be "we want to offer a complete package and charge more for it, but trust us -- we make pretty, usable products." I don't trust Apple. I trust myself and an open platform. I'd sooner give less of my cash to companies who mark their boundaries and compete in a free market rather than those who take an "integrate and dominate" approach. (I'm referring explicitly to hardware here, as Microsoft is no better when it comes to software.)

> Article is old, and not a good comparison. My Macbook Pro cost
> $1400 a year ago, and it's the same one in that article, except with an
> 80GB HDD. Last August, nothing touched my machine's specs at the
> pricepoint, not to mention that the MBP is/was lighter than anything
> else in its price/performance range.

> tl;dr: there's more to a computer's value than simply which
> parts go into building it. "The whole is greater than the
> sum of its parts." ~ Tom Atlee

I agree with that, and I'd sooner buy a laptop from Apple than a PC, as I think we discussed in an earlier thread. Still, Mac's lowest laptop offering's around $1k, whereas generic PC notebooks go as low as $500. Is that enough of a margin for Apple's bottom line? From their current offerings, I'd say no.

> If BSD is a "pretty pretty princess," I'd hate to see what
> an ugly one looks like. If you're talking about the GUI,
> that video looked like mainly a demo of Expose (the GUI's
> best feature, bar none) and Quartz.

I mean the GUI. I prefer a user interface to be simple, unobtrusive, and functional -- I don't want things zipping and zooming and wrapping and bouncing around my screen all the time. Vista's a huge step in the wrong direction, but XP is just about right.
<P ID="signature"></P>
icenine0 is offline   Reply With Quote