View Single Post
Old 06-06-2009, 07:40 PM   #6
Sliver-X

Quote:
I know what they did, they completly rewrote anything that could be rewritten without crashing the game
Actually, we changed so much we killed the game at times. That was fixed as encountered, though.

Quote:
and I know how they did some of it thanks to programs like ffhackster giving me a sneak peek
Yes, FFHackster is what made DXOII a 4 year project instead of a 10 year one.

Quote:
But how they removed the palette check, how they changed the music, how they changed the start screen and removed character selection and so on, that's what I'm intrested in.
This is where you're not going to get much solace... All of that but the music involved 6502 assembly and debugging.

Palette Cycle/Town Fade: I watched for writes during the palette cycle, traced it to the beginning and NOPed the routines responsible.

Character Select/Start Screen: The block of code that was used for the character select screen was gutted: Routines were created to load things into the SRAM area which did things like set Player 2 - 4 as Dead, giving Sargon his name, starting PSIs and gear, etc. After this it directly JMPs to the Bridge Crossing scene which I utilized as the game's introduction.

Anything else gameplay related not found in Final Fantasy was done this way.

The music was done by myself in raw hex by first composing it on my guitar and then transcribing it into the ROM.
Sliver-X is offline   Reply With Quote