Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Rom Hack (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Final Fantasy / Dragon Warrior 1 (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11149)

Gil 06-02-2009 08:23 AM

Final Fantasy / Dragon Warrior 1

I'm thinking of porting as much stuff as possible from dragon warrior over to Final Fantasy, to make it into an all new combo game when I'm done with my other hack.

Anyone intrested in playing Dragon Warrior 1 with four brave men in your team?
I personally think this would make for an amazing dragon warrior game, you could have multiple monsters instead of just one, that's why I stopped playing dragon warrior in the first place. Too predictable.

In fact, considering how much a larger scale FF works on then DW, I could even integrate the ship, canoe, and airship even into the game to continue the adventure, so it don't need to end with the dragon king.

I just need to figure out how the guys that made dragoon x omega did it..

InVerse 06-02-2009 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gil (Post 89709)
I just need to figure out how the guys that made dragoon x omega did it..

By more or less rewriting the entire game, not quite from scratch, but so thoroughly that the original programmers wouldn't recognize their own code.

Gil 06-02-2009 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InVerse (Post 89712)
By more or less rewriting the entire game, not quite from scratch, but so thoroughly that the original programmers wouldn't recognize their own code.

HOW, not WHAT, but thanks for the tip.
I know what they did, they completly rewrote anything that could be rewritten without crashing the game, and I know how they did some of it thanks to programs like ffhackster giving me a sneak peek. They removed that rainbow/refresh thing that checks the palette, so they could change it however the hell they feel like. They removed most if not all black magic stores and modded the white magic places, removed the clinic and renamed inn clinic, and with all the excess doors they're getting, they made them into stuff like teleport spots, warp points, etc..
But how they removed the palette check, how they changed the music, how they changed the start screen and removed character selection and so on, that's what I'm intrested in.

Especially replacing the graphics for ship and canoe and airship (though the airship don't show anymore, they removed most of it from the game :( )

Gil 06-03-2009 08:34 AM

Well, I might not be able to mess with outside travel items, but I can mess with nearly anything else, and this makes me happy.
Video so far: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GlpravQcKk
sneak peek, sorry about the ocean, I know it don't look right, I'll continue my work on this when I'm done with final fantasy theater.

I also need to figure out poison effects and hill slowing when you walk..

Fla Flash 06-06-2009 07:08 PM

That clip is a trip...

Sliver-X 06-06-2009 07:40 PM

Quote:

I know what they did, they completly rewrote anything that could be rewritten without crashing the game
Actually, we changed so much we killed the game at times. That was fixed as encountered, though.

Quote:

and I know how they did some of it thanks to programs like ffhackster giving me a sneak peek
Yes, FFHackster is what made DXOII a 4 year project instead of a 10 year one.

Quote:

But how they removed the palette check, how they changed the music, how they changed the start screen and removed character selection and so on, that's what I'm intrested in.
This is where you're not going to get much solace... All of that but the music involved 6502 assembly and debugging.

Palette Cycle/Town Fade: I watched for writes during the palette cycle, traced it to the beginning and NOPed the routines responsible.

Character Select/Start Screen: The block of code that was used for the character select screen was gutted: Routines were created to load things into the SRAM area which did things like set Player 2 - 4 as Dead, giving Sargon his name, starting PSIs and gear, etc. After this it directly JMPs to the Bridge Crossing scene which I utilized as the game's introduction.

Anything else gameplay related not found in Final Fantasy was done this way.

The music was done by myself in raw hex by first composing it on my guitar and then transcribing it into the ROM.

Gil 06-08-2009 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sliver-X (Post 89956)
Actually, we changed so much we killed the game at times. That was fixed as encountered, though.

Yes, FFHackster is what made DXOII a 4 year project instead of a 10 year one.

This is where you're not going to get much solace... All of that but the music involved 6502 assembly and debugging.

Palette Cycle/Town Fade: I watched for writes during the palette cycle, traced it to the beginning and NOPed the routines responsible.

Character Select/Start Screen: The block of code that was used for the character select screen was gutted: Routines were created to load things into the SRAM area which did things like set Player 2 - 4 as Dead, giving Sargon his name, starting PSIs and gear, etc. After this it directly JMPs to the Bridge Crossing scene which I utilized as the game's introduction.

Anything else gameplay related not found in Final Fantasy was done this way.

The music was done by myself in raw hex by first composing it on my guitar and then transcribing it into the ROM.

ok I had a long reply with these quotes seperated, but then for no reason, my machine fucked up on me, so the hell with retyping everything. -_- blah.
anyway, the most important answers were:
1: I figured you'd have crashed it a few times, and was amazed you hadn't in the end product, you messed with things most people are afraid to even think about going near.

2: I noticed your little "kill the other three" trick when going through the coding, amazing stuff.

and 3: anyone with half a brain keeps notes on this kind of thing, so I know you did, since you're clearly freaking GENIUS (not sarcasm, in case anyone thinks it is), and I was wondering, could you tell me where the exact hex addresses for these kinds of things are? I use FCEUX 2.1.0 emulator, which allows for rewriting of a ROM WHILE YOU PLAY THE GAME IN IT, which would come in real handy to prevent this game edit I'm working on from crashing.

4: PS, if you used tile molester, that would explain the graphics work, since I just did to mess with the airship. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TqNN1h4ZEKM though I have yet to find the palette call for that item, to change it steel blue.
I also noticed you animated the water/ocean, I'd love to know where to mess with to do that. I freaking hate the still tiles for the ocean, if I could animate it, I'd be able to make currents.

thanks for the reply btw.

when hack is done, beware some towns, they're deadly. >D

edit: seems the airship palette was editable from ffhackster after all, under "control" palette

Sliver-X 06-08-2009 04:23 AM

Quote:

1: I figured you'd have crashed it a few times, and was amazed you hadn't in the end product, you messed with things most people are afraid to even think about going near.
Most of the post v1.0 releases were bug fixes, several of which were fatal. "Final 2" should have none remaining, though.

Quote:

4: PS, if you used tile molester, that would explain the graphics work, since I just did to mess with the airship.
Thaddeus used FFHackster and MSPaint for all his graphical work. The small amount I did was via YY-CHR and Paint Shop Pro 5.

Quote:

anyone with half a brain keeps notes on this kind of thing, so I know you did
Yup, and I lost most of it over the years, too. This is all I can find.

Gil 06-09-2009 03:26 AM

thanks lots for the file, that should help alot. what program would work best for finding and replacing text in the game? I want to replace the opening text if I can.

Sliver-X 06-09-2009 05:14 AM

Quote:

Gil thanks lots for the file, that should help alot. what program would work best for finding and replacing text in the game? I want to replace the opening text if I can.
Use any hex editor with table file support and view the ROM with Final Fantasy's DTE table (Included with FFHackster and archived somewhere on this site, too).