Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Site Questions / Suggestions (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Complete staff overhaul + We're hiring! (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10092)

Reaper man 12-24-2008 05:15 PM

Complete staff overhaul + We're hiring!

Alright, for those that aren't aware, when ZD gained new ownership, Edman hired a good 30 or so "content managers" which are the ones that post news and do updates on the site. As of now, around 29 (maybe less, I'm not too sure) weren't really doing anything, leaving all the work to just one guy (as you can see, look below.) Therefore I have decided to just demote everyone else and start fresh. Now just because I demoted you doesn't mean I hate you or that I think you are lazy, etc, so don't take it personally. I might have demoted some of you in error, since some of the work being done to the site was more behind the scenes and therefore not reflected on the front page. Any former content managers can of course still apply, just as long as they remain active and actually do something. With that said, I'm proud to announce that we have positions available in the following areas.

News:

-Emulators for PC
-Emulators for *nix/Mac
-Emulators for Consoles
-Rom hacks/utilities
-Game Music

and general site maintainer.

If you are interested, please send me a PM (registration to the forums required, of course) and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Oh, and have a Happy Holidays. :>

SpaceTiger 12-24-2008 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 85090)
Oh, and have a Happy Holidays. :>

Christmas Eve... that's really cold. I've been helping maintain the database for over 5 years, but since I started the management has done nothing but dig a grave for ZD. Personal or not, I'm not going to waste any more time holding the shovel for you. The next time I get some free time, I'm going to spend it elsewhere.

Isildur 12-25-2008 03:19 AM

Eek. Probably not the most ingratiatory way to kick off a recruitment drive...

Prower 12-26-2008 04:32 PM

Now Brad is making management decisions for the site, too?

Thanks Edman, but it was nice while it lasted. If this was your decision then you're going to drive ZD right back into the ground again.

Iconoclast 12-26-2008 09:14 PM

In an attempt to relieve the unemployed's feelings
Did you guys know Edman hasn't logged on since September?
minus recently in Dec 22 four days ago, but obviously the phrase "I read all threads anyway" couldn't have applied in the course of that one day, so even if all this was done before then he'd probably still not notice.

What little I did see is that if he did log on he checked any PMs he got usually replied at first, mostly went as far as "Searching Forums," so yeah.

And yes Edman made Reaper Man an admin before that long period, not having been a member way back when before the site sold to see all the trouble he got into. He kinda never saw the various complaint threads back when there were just super moderators, not to insult the poor guys or anything

And hey, duh Edman cares, I believe in making a difference! But man Mr. Reap sure can speak, and my part I guess obviously it was already made here

Wishes everyone.. I'll still hang out we can never forget this place right?

Diskeater 12-26-2008 09:32 PM

I said my piece in the thread on the IA boards. If you want a general maintainer person, send me a PM.

Fla Flash 12-27-2008 05:30 PM

I pm'ed Brad about helping out as far as hacks were concerned.

But after reading Iconoclast's post, I can't help but wonder if it's the idea of starting totally fresh, none of the old guard around, so to speak.

Hey, it's Edman's choice and his site. I'm glad it's still here.

gutzsant 12-27-2008 06:30 PM

I don't log-in for a few days and then I find a few surprises. Personally, I don't think that it was necessary to demote Content Managers, but I suppose we'll only see if this decision was for good or for ill in the next months. For my part, I'll do my best to keep ZD alive and updated with the hope of making it as glorious as it once was. I expect that this time around there we'll be more news posters, specially for systems that I can't handle.

Iconoclast 12-27-2008 09:19 PM

Eh-heh, by all means, there's no hopelessness to this at all really. I PMed him, too.

Even if Edman stops coming at least both admins read all this stuff--whatever the hell they react with (to me usually reasonable to clarify).

Fla Flash 12-27-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutzsant (Post 85177)
I don't log-in for a few days and then I find a few surprises. Personally, I don't think that it was necessary to demote Content Managers, but I suppose we'll only see if this decision was for good or for ill in the next months. For my part, I'll do my best to keep ZD alive and updated with the hope of making it as glorious as it once was. I expect that this time around there we'll be more news posters, specially for systems that I can't handle.

Dude, I've been there. You rock.

Reaper man 12-28-2008 10:47 PM

I'll more than likely be rounding up the applicants and start "interviewing" them sometime either later on tonight or tomorrow.

Oh, and to clear up any sort of confusion, this was all my idea from the get go. All Edman did was greenlight it.

Cornellius 12-29-2008 05:15 PM

While I agree that a staff re-organization was necessary, the way it was announced was too aggressive, in my opinion.

You should have kept, let's say, for exemple, the 5 most active ones, instead of deleting all of them. You could have sent them a private message, about a week before doing it, so at least, it wouldn't have been a surprise for them.

Let's not forget, god, not on christmas eve !

Keep in mind that a board with an even number of moderators or administrators can't work.

Azul Fria 12-29-2008 06:52 PM

Good luck with the overhaul. I'm still down for emus for consoles job since I pretty much updated those behind the scenes and got emails from creators on newer updates.

The 9th Sage 12-29-2008 11:32 PM

Yeah, I think we're probably getting down the list now...Brad's been working on it, and I've given my opinion where I can, so hopefully soon we'll have another batch of content mods.

For the records, I agree on what you're saying about the agressiveness (I guess that's the description :P), not much to do about it now I suppose. We all were talking about it on the IA forum, so the people who were here probably knew what was going to happen, or should have anyway, but even so...

Xeon3D 12-30-2008 02:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpaceTiger (Post 85092)
Christmas Eve... that's really cold. I've been helping maintain the database for over 5 years, but since I started the management has done nothing but dig a grave for ZD. Personal or not, I'm not going to waste any more time holding the shovel for you. The next time I get some free time, I'm going to spend it elsewhere.

My thoughts exactly. Specially the parts in bold.
Yet, I didn't "maintain the database", but I surely updated it a lot. And I'm glad that at least part of some of my ideas are being put in use even if with little success. Funny thing is that when I proposed them, nobody understood and preferred to throw rocks at me instead.

Iconoclast 12-30-2008 02:16 AM

I'm glad I'm not being interviewed.

Cornellius 12-30-2008 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeon3D (Post 85293)
... I proposed them, nobody understood and preferred to throw rocks at me instead.

What were/are your ideas ?

Prower 12-31-2008 05:58 PM

I doubt Brad is interested in anyone else's ideas, he's probably too busy gloating over the new-found power he's managed to grab after being a notorious board troll that refused to go away for years.

What happened to all this wonderful "change" that was supposed to happen, Edman? Oh wait, you can't talk to him either because he never actually -looks- at the boards.

To all the friends that I've met over the years, it's been wonderful being with you, even through some of the up's and down's in my moderator's position, but this is going to be my last visit. My private messaging is set to e-mail me so that I don't have to browse here again, if you must get in contact with me then I'd suggest that way.

Good luck, you're going to need it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornellius (Post 85298)
What were/are your ideas ?

The 9th Sage 01-01-2009 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeon3D (Post 85293)
My thoughts exactly. Specially the parts in bold.
Yet, I didn't "maintain the database", but I surely updated it a lot. And I'm glad that at least part of some of my ideas are being put in use even if with little success. Funny thing is that when I proposed them, nobody understood and preferred to throw rocks at me instead.

It really should have been done with more tact (or differently in the first place) but I think the plan is to hire back people who had content mod positions and still want to have them (by all means, PM me about that). I also apologize to those who's feelings were hurt by it. It really is not anything personal, I swear to you.

Cornellius 01-01-2009 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 85351)
It really should have been done with more tact (or differently in the first place) but I think the plan is to hire back people who had content mod positions and still want to have them (by all means, PM me about that). I also apologize to those who's feelings were hurt by it. It really is not anything personal, I swear to you.

But the problem remains: some people will still come only for the title of content manager on ZD, and you'll still end up many inactive content managers (Not saying that all the previous ones were inactive). My two big concerns are:

- The way it has been announced
- Why demote all the staff ?

Not to say bad things about the previous managers, some of 'em were doing a great job, but the problems isn't only who is a manager, but more on the procedure used to hire them.

As for the users ideas, post them in the suggestions board, and see the community's reaction, before denying them. Put them through a vote. Here's the importance on having an odd number of mods/managers.

Iconoclast 01-02-2009 02:37 AM

yada yada yada

Either ways here's the new list.
http://www.zophar.net/forums/showgroups.php

But Edman names a third-age member to blow the "classical antiquity" away to [pie land] because of [ice cream]. Why would he buy this site--what's his background here--in the point of his life where he's about to get extremely busy, name some admins, and just [love]? In the middle of some renaissance?

[Anytime now someone is going to make this rash reply with no afterthought but his self-confidence and leave everyone else to rot. It's honestly amusing to see some of you try, what lengths you go through.]

gutzsant 01-02-2009 02:40 AM

It was harsh to demote all CM but me. But what's done is done, for good or for ill.
Regarding inactive CM, how about this? If content managers do not post or update anything within 60 days since their last contribution, they automatically will lose their CM status. They can re-request it without a problem, but if they do nothing for that period, they automatically get demoted and a new position for CM gets open, no excuses and no exceptions. This would ensure that CMs are active and it would not be something personal. One of the problems before is that there were no rules regarding what a CM should do and what where the conditions to keep that status. If it could be done automatically (that ZD recorded contributions) it would be better. But I assume that won't be possible with the current software of ZD. Then, for those who do not post news but work behind the scenes, could make some kind of monthly report, either in a forum or directly to the administrators, just to ensure that we know they are collaborating.
Cornellius' idea about the suggestions board is quite good. Couldn't it be possible to assign a moderator or CM exclusively for checking that forum and implementing new ideas? Edman had that idea when he put it, but after the economic situation, I doubt he has the time to check that place any longer.

Cornellius 01-02-2009 02:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconoclast (Post 85363)
Anytime now someone is going to make this rash reply with no afterthought but his self-confidence and leave everyone else to rot. It's honestly amusing to see some of you try, what lengths you go through.

Hrm... Who was this directed at ? Most posts I've seen in this thread came from people who care about the wellbeing of Zophar's Domain. Call it anger, irrationality, ignorance, or whatever you like, but it doesn't change the fact that everyone brought something important to this discussion.

The 9th Sage 01-02-2009 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornellius (Post 85359)
But the problem remains: some people will still come only for the title of content manager on ZD, and you'll still end up many inactive content managers (Not saying that all the previous ones were inactive). My two big concerns are:

- The way it has been announced
- Why demote all the staff ?

I wasn't really disagreeing with you. But like Gutzsant said, there's not any way to change it now. As for people who'd come just for the title, there could be that problem. Some I know would be fine though...Space for example, he's around a lot. If he wanted it I'd give him back the content moderator status in a heart beat.

Cornellius 01-02-2009 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The 9th Sage (Post 85367)
I wasn't really disagreeing with you. But like Gutzsant said, there's not any way to change it now.

Oh, I know that, I was just posting my two cents.

Iconoclast 01-02-2009 02:58 PM

For good or for ill--the effect counts mostly more than intentions. For example if in effect no one is now interested there is another problem, which disregards all questions. Space was around, apparently logged off for good now though. If it was known reaper man cared there would be a lot more hope. That's all I'll say on that.

More relieving than else that everyone accepts "what's done is done," except me, who clouded by despair, believe in change. Some places just argue it out to nullity, but on the other hand, with that attitude, aren't we just kinda saying, it's too late, we're screwed

Because I doubt it is, according to what can be changed
Which doesn't include bringing me back necessarily, but it just sounds kinda weird that everyone's sensitive in particular places but inconsistently with others

The 9th Sage 01-02-2009 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconoclast (Post 85390)
Because I doubt it is, according to what can be changed
Which doesn't include bringing me back necessarily, but it just sounds kinda weird that everyone's sensitive in particular places but inconsistently with others

Actually, I believe he was thinking about asking you if you wanted to do the N64 emulators.

Shadow 01-02-2009 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gutzsant (Post 85364)
If content managers do not post or update anything within 60 days since their last contribution, they automatically will lose their CM status. They can re-request it without a problem, but if they do nothing for that period, they automatically get demoted and a new position for CM gets open, no excuses and no exceptions. This would ensure that CMs are active and it would not be something personal. One of the problems before is that there were no rules regarding what a CM should do and what where the conditions to keep that status. If it could be done automatically (that ZD recorded contributions) it would be better. But I assume that won't be possible with the current software of ZD.

Time based rights management? Well I actually program this kind of PHP script. I tell you when I'm finished so you can take a look. But don't ask about release dates. In your case it would be necessary to hack the page scripts to implement the wanted feature.

Quote:

Then, for those who do not post news but work behind the scenes, could make some kind of monthly report, either in a forum or directly to the administrators, just to ensure that we know they are collaborating.

Nice idea, but it doesn't work. I made this an order in my last company. People don't want it. Never expect people to be active. You have to be an active leader and talk to your team in regular schedules!

Quote:

Cornellius' idea about the suggestions board is quite good. Couldn't it be possible to assign a moderator or CM exclusively for checking that forum and implementing new ideas?

Checking ideas AND implementing? So you expect a full blown web developer to be in the frontline of user expectations? That's a little bit too much.
You won't find anyone doing this for free.

But you can collect all ideas and then all 3 months you make a public survey asking which idea should be implemented.

Quote:

Edman had that idea when he put it, but after the economic situation, I doubt he has the time to check that place any longer.

Wait a sec...? If the page itself is in danger don't hesitate to ask for a server! Just to avoid such a scenario your team should think about mirroring...

Iconoclast 01-03-2009 03:19 AM

He did? He might have, but it didn't look like it. Three-or-so days ago I pmed him this

"Hi Reaper man,

I'm still up for maintenance on at least N64 updates, and as far as plugins go it looks like there may actually be some news updates since dead old 2008 for the HLE scene."

Just no reply, it's ok either way, nothing wrong with it

gutzsant 01-03-2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow (Post 85399)
Nice idea, but it doesn't work. I made this an order in my last company. People don't want it. Never expect people to be active. You have to be an active leader and talk to your team in regular schedules!

I would really like to trust in us being active without having to be reminded of our duties. After all, we all do this voluntarly because we want.
If that's not possible then I hope that this can be done by software. And if we can't be active, we should step down ourselves without having to wait to be demoted by others.

Quote:

Checking ideas AND implementing? So you expect a full blown web developer to be in the frontline of user expectations? That's a little bit too much.
You won't find anyone doing this for free.
But you can collect all ideas and then all 3 months you make a public survey asking which idea should be implemented.

I merely meant that someone could regularly check the users suggestions, answer questions and discuss how feasible they are. ZD has a lot that can be improved, but it seems all ideas are still in the air. By having one person to check them regularly, discuss them and present them to the users, CMs, moderators and Edman, we basically would be keeping an ordered record of all the possible changes instead of randomly thinking what could be implemented. It's not as if we could currently modify many things without Edman anyway.

Quote:

Wait a sec...? If the page itself is in danger don't hesitate to ask for a server! Just to avoid such a scenario your team should think about mirroring...

As far as I know, the page itself is not in danger, merely stalled. If I understood correctly, Edman simply has too many problems with his real life company (and I suspect that the current economic crisis doesn't help), which means he essentially has left the page in charge of two administrators (who happen to have limited power to modify things like the forum software) and has forgotten all that he planned before. It's also evident by the fact that he doesn't log-in often since some months ago. Several of the needed updates can only be done by Edman, such as updating the forum software. For the moment, we do what we can with the available resources.

Reaper man 01-03-2009 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconoclast (Post 85422)
He did? He might have, but it didn't look like it. Three-or-so days ago I pmed him this

"Hi Reaper man,

I'm still up for maintenance on at least N64 updates, and as far as plugins go it looks like there may actually be some news updates since dead old 2008 for the HLE scene."

Just no reply, it's ok either way, nothing wrong with it

I have been busy/lazy as of recent. I'm having 9th sage take care of some of the interview stuff. After that we'll review the information gathered and make decisions from there.

Oh, and may I remind you all that news posting/updating has increased substantially since I hired those two new members. My plan is going quite nicely.

Montie2k 01-03-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 85426)
My plan is going quite nicely.

Why, all of a sudden, do I picture Reaper Man tapping his fingers together, grinning slyly, saying "Exxxxxxxxxxcellent"?

Fla Flash 01-03-2009 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montie2k (Post 85429)
Why, all of a sudden, do I picture Reaper Man tapping his fingers together, grinning slyly, saying "Exxxxxxxxxxcellent"?

Same reason I do.

Two points: Having worked updates here in the past, there isn't some shocking new update or breakthrough in emulation every day. Believe it or not, you'll have a day when there isn't any news.
Second one, and this was a point Swamp made to us when we were 'hired on' so to speak, and I think it speaks well of him. There will be a lull, occasionally, when "real life" takes up some of your time. I can see if no one was getting back to anyone for three or four months, or was hanging around the message boards and not bothering, but to be honest, it's volunteer work. If you want an all-volunteer staff, you'll get people with different motivations and different levels of motivation.

Just my two cents.

The 9th Sage 01-03-2009 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fla Flash (Post 85432)
it's volunteer work. If you want an all-volunteer staff, you'll get people with different motivations and different levels of motivation.

Just my two cents.

Of course (remember, I was a staffer just like you for a while back on the old version of the site...though I don't remember SwampGas being as nice about it as you do). I'm just asking some questions so we can choose the best people, that's all. It's probably better to know more about everyone before deciding on who gets hired or gets "Position X".

I think mostly what I'm worried about is hiring someone then having them never be heard from again, like Cornelius was saying. :P Also need to be sure they won't abuse the access it gives them to the site.

Iconoclast 01-03-2009 04:54 PM

Come to think more of it SpaceTiger at first admitted he was only going to be an active forum poster but probably too busy to do any updates for the site, but eventually it came irritating, that you revoked all of them. I guess...it makes sense, since removing someone from the position doesn't mean they never were a content manager or anything, but it just seems really bad for many else maybe even the site's future, to just let all those people be hating on you...because the future uses the past.

never thought this thread's being was unreasonable, just damaging and hard...when you could have accomplished the same by preserving the past erstwhile rather than throwing people older than you out, maybe it was fair, but it just did more harm than good

You could have gotten more news updates, now virtually no one is interested compared to before. That's a bigger worry, that's fate, than people tricking you into hiring them and never logging on after that

Adremalech The Wroth 01-03-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montie2k (Post 85429)

because its completely true?

The 9th Sage 01-11-2009 04:35 PM

In case anyone is wondering, this is still the plan. I'm sorry it's taking so long. :)

Rattlehead 01-16-2009 05:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 85426)
"...I have been busy/lazy as of recent..."

Yeah, I know the feeling. High school's a bitch. So much work for me to do, yet I'm too lazy to do most of it.

Azul Fria 01-17-2009 03:21 AM

At least you'll be out by the time I get in.

Montie2k 01-17-2009 10:18 AM

I hate to be a harbinger of bad news, but the workload doesn't get any easier at age 30.

Cornellius 01-17-2009 05:09 PM

Yeah, school days were vacation. You don't get more free time as an adult.

Reaper man 01-17-2009 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Montie2k (Post 85927)
I hate to be a harbinger of bad news, but the workload doesn't get any easier at age 30.

wait... whaa? You're older than me? o_O

Adremalech The Wroth 01-22-2009 04:58 AM

hmm this went off topic fast... >.>

SparroHawc 03-16-2009 08:55 PM

Was wondering why I couldn't see the news posts forum. :> I apologize for my recent lack of participation for the last several months; what with the current financial situation, I'm having to work extra hours to make the same amount of money. For now, I'm happy to step back and let my Content Managership retain its revoked status... When time permits, I'll jump back into the game. Huge kudos to the few who have kept the updates going.

Reaper man 03-17-2009 01:11 AM

yay, someone with some actual maturity... way to go. ;p