Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Emulation (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   ePSXe help (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9627)

tryrar 09-10-2008 04:44 AM

ePSXe help

I have a problem and a question.

First, I'm having trouble getting my computer to run playstation games. I put it in the drive, load up ePSXe, and it detects the cd and loads, but I just get a black screen. I've tried several different video and cd plugin combos, but nothing works. The game's Legend of Dragoon, and what really burns me is that it plays isos of the same game just fine, no black screen of death at all.

Second, I was wondering, since all my PS disks are starting to get really scratched (and a couple are missing a disk), is it possible to create copies of the cds that will actually play on my playstation? (I think thats legal, since I own them and can make legal backups, right?)

any help would be nice. Thanx!

Reaper man 09-10-2008 04:58 AM

firstly, we need to know what operating system and Cd plugin you are using...

as for playing backups on your playstation, I'm not certain. I know that the PS2 has a memory card mod that will allow you to do that I believe

tryrar 09-10-2008 08:42 AM

I have windows xp, with a lightscribe dvd 740 dvd/cdrom drive, and I'm using the mooby2 cd plugin, but I get the same thing with the internal epsxe cd plugin.

The 9th Sage 09-10-2008 04:06 PM

hm...I'm not really familliar enough with the mooby2 plug-in to suggest anything. You said the ISO works? And the ISO is from this same CD I assume? That is strange, unless the program you used to dump it has good error correction and this CD is really scratched or something.

tryrar 09-10-2008 04:44 PM

actually, I downloaded the iso(since I'm missing the first disk, and I can't get the other disks to work). Maybe I'll try a different cd plugin...

Umiliphus 09-10-2008 05:40 PM

I had that happen with another game... the disk seemed not to be doing anything, but after maybe about 40 seconds of me waiting the thing began to function and it hasn't had any more problems, though I always start with a save state now. I don't have a varied enough legitimate playstation cd collection within my immediate reach to know whose end this problem is on. But it's probably the disc's problem.

tryrar 09-10-2008 05:45 PM

I found out the problem- turns out I didn't have the proper PPF patch for legend of dragoon. its running now. Now my question becomes can I use the iso of the first disk that i downloaded to replace said missing disc? and would my playstation be able to recognize it?

Umiliphus 09-10-2008 06:12 PM

That's a definite no. A standard issue playstation will have nothing to do with a burnt iso. I assume putting a patch upon it could only further hurt the chances.

Additionally, Legend of Dragoon supposedly has some rather eclectic copy protection, I've just remembered. It may yet cause trouble in an emulator (unless that's what the patch is for. Eeg).

tryrar 09-10-2008 07:42 PM

crud. Oh well, I'll just stick to emulating it then...