Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Emulation (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Mega Man 9 NSFs (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9932)

tssf 11-19-2008 04:32 PM

Mega Man 9 NSFs

Hi everyone, a lot of you may or may not know me but my name's Mathew Valente, known most by the alias "tssf".

Anyway, to get to the point, I recreated the entire Mega Man 9 soundtrack in S3M, then used the tool S3M2NSF to convert it all to NSF. It took a fair amount of time, and I never planned on doing the whole soundtrack, but once I got started I just couldn't stop. Haha.

Anyway, I thought I'd let people know about this and see if anyone was interested. I submitted the NSFs to Zophar's NSF archive, however I'm not sure if there's anything in the rules stating the NSF *must* be ripped from a game, and not created from scratch.

Anyway, here it is if anyone's interested in hearing.

Enjoy. :)

P.s. Wasn't sure where to post this message, so I chose this board. If I chose the wrong one, I apologize. Hehe.

tssf 11-21-2008 12:59 PM

Hm, a few views but no comments.

D-- 11-21-2008 01:32 PM

That's really cool. Is there any way to merge it all into one NSF file, or are the programs all too different?

The 9th Sage 11-21-2008 03:54 PM

Ah, nice. I didn't know anyone had recreated the whole soundtrack in this way yet. :) I'll give it a listen.

tssf 11-21-2008 09:40 PM

D--: Unfortunately not, since the S3M's are converted to NSFs one by one, I'm sure S3M2NSF treats each NSF as it's own "game" as it were. The music in NES standards are probably so large because of the S3M format nature that it wouldn't work in one NSF.

If I had a custom made music system that supported macro instrumentation, tempos and the like..and maybe an S3M to that format converter..well, things might be much different. :)

Hell maybe if I get bored enough, I'll make this soundtrack for the GBC using my GBC music software.. okay maybe no. ;)

The 9th Sage: Cool, any comments would be appreciated..I really did work a long time on these songs. :) I strived for accuracy but there are a couple errors I noticed in one or two songs that I could have made better..however I've already released the soundtrack to various NSF archives. :(

Rattlehead 11-22-2008 02:42 AM

Wait...we are talking about Mega Man 9 which came out on the Virtual Console, right?

tssf 11-22-2008 03:36 AM

Er, yeah..well, WiiWare..same difference right?

These NSFs were recreated from scratch by me via S3M, they're not dumped from any roms.

Tomorrow I'm going to be fixing a couple songs that I noticed I had some problems in. I guess my perfectionist side just won't let it end.

Reaper man 11-22-2008 07:04 AM

I'm betting if you look at the NSF format, you can merge them yourself.

Rattlehead 11-22-2008 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tssf (Post 84352)
Er, yeah..well, WiiWare..same difference right?

These NSFs were recreated from scratch by me via S3M, they're not dumped from any roms.

Tomorrow I'm going to be fixing a couple songs that I noticed I had some problems in. I guess my perfectionist side just won't let it end.

Umm...I thought NSFs were NES music files, essentially. Not WiiWare, though. Well, I'll be damned...totally blew that theory out of the water.

D-- 11-22-2008 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlehead (Post 84358)
Umm...I thought NSFs were NES music files, essentially. Not WiiWare, though. Well, I'll be damned...totally blew that theory out of the water.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tssf (Post 84287)
Anyway, to get to the point, I recreated the entire Mega Man 9 soundtrack in S3M, then used the tool S3M2NSF to convert it all to NSF. It took a fair amount of time, and I never planned on doing the whole soundtrack, but once I got started I just couldn't stop. Haha.

Learn 2 forums.