Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Rom Hack (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Question about the GB Colorizer (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=5059)

D-- 06-06-2005 01:59 AM

Question about the GB Colorizer

Has anyone where actually used it? Every single ROM I try with it gives an error (the nice cannot find jump at $101). I checked all my ROMs and yes, at $100 there's 0x00c3, which is the jump code it's looking for ...

I even tried Metroid II since it was colorized with this program but it will not open. Is it just totally incapable of functioning under Windows XP? I tried enabling compatability mode for 98 but it didn't really help.

Also, I checked my ROM's internal information to make sure it was an MBC1 rom since MBC2 and MBC3 aren't supported. The type byte is 0x01 (ROM+MBC1) so it should be good.

Thanks in advance.

MegaManJuno 06-06-2005 05:01 AM

Re: Question about the GB Colorizer

Tried it a while back with the mindset of trying to colorize Super Mario Land. It opened the file fine and allowed me to change and save some stuff, but the resulting ROM ran too fast and ended up hanging a ways into the game anyway no matter what options I tried. There were also some sprites that I could never locate either in the program, although loading up a tile editor (don't remember which it was) would see them all fine. This was all on XP, so I know it at least somewhat works on XP OK. It's too bad it seems to have dropped off the face of the Earth as it possibly could have been a really nice "face-lift" tool with a little more work to it.

breadcrust 06-06-2005 02:28 PM

> It's too bad it seems to
> have dropped off the face of the Earth as it possibly could
> have been a really nice "face-lift" tool with a little more
> work to it.
if only all emulator and rom hack developers made software open-source, could you imagine how many more cool rom hacking tools there would be, <u>that actually worked!</u>

D-- 06-06-2005 06:14 PM

> if only all emulator and rom hack developers made software
> open-source, could you imagine how many more cool rom
> hacking tools there would be, that actually worked!

Or at least notes explaining how the hell the program does what it does ...

breadcrust 06-07-2005 07:31 AM

> Or at least notes explaining how the hell the program does
> what it does ...
thats always great to have, but then you still dont have a half finished program to work on and possible complete.

other people will take those notes, attempt to make a closed-source clone, and wont finish that program either. before you know it theres heaps of betas of clones of this program, but no actually completed 1.0 versions, which could of existed if that program was free (as in speech) in the first place.

Dan 06-07-2005 12:21 PM

> if only all emulator and rom hack developers made software
> open-source, could you imagine how many more cool rom
> hacking tools there would be, that actually worked!

You think that, but very few open-source emulation projects actually get picked up by other developers when the lead developer leaves/stops working on the project. Hell, it's the same with most open-source projects. Only the popular projects can get new lead developers (i.e. ZSNES).

D-- 06-07-2005 11:07 PM

> You think that, but very few open-source emulation projects
> actually get picked up by other developers when the lead
> developer leaves/stops working on the project. Hell, it's
> the same with most open-source projects. Only the popular
> projects can get new lead developers (i.e. ZSNES).

Part of the problem is lack of commenting making a new person totally unable to pick it back up, and therefore unable to do more than a few basic edits and tweaks.

breadcrust 06-08-2005 12:47 AM

but at least there is a chance that some projects might be continued

breadcrust 06-08-2005 12:50 AM

thats true.
another thing that helps is if the original developer uses an alias address, or doesnt dump their old email, and replys to any emails asking for a little help with development.

Disch 06-08-2005 01:06 AM

Even if there isn't, other people can still use the source as a learning resource to aid in their own program. I've gotten various ideas and adopted different coding styles by examining other people's work. So there's something to be said for open-source regardless. Even if it doesn't benefit the project, that doesn't mean there's no benefit at all.