Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Talk of the Town (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Rockstar gets the stick. (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=8724)

icenine0 06-20-2007 06:45 PM

Rockstar gets the stick.
 
Manhunt 2 has an AO in the states and is banned in the UK. With all due respect, I wish they'd really terminate this series -- selling 6 or 7 copies while giving Jack Thompson everything he wants in a murder simulator (for reals, this time) is not worth their investment and can't be good for the industry's image.
<P ID="signature"></P>

Diskeater 06-20-2007 09:43 PM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
The first Manhunt was pretty fun. I can't say I'm going to buy Manhunt 2 on release day but if it gets good reviews, I'll pick it up at some point...
<P ID="signature">http://diskeater.homestead.com/files/signature.jpg</img>

Wii console code - 7551377053011860</P>

The 9th Sage 06-21-2007 01:49 AM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
> Manhunt 2 has an AO in the states and is banned in the UK.
> With all due respect, I wish they'd really terminate this
> series -- selling 6 or 7 copies while giving Jack Thompson
> everything he wants in a murder simulator (for reals, this
> time) is not worth their investment and can't be good for
> the industry's image.

From what I was reading, Sony and Nintendo both refused the game, saying it needed to be down to an MA rating. O_o Dunno about MS. The thing is, from what I have seen of this game, it is brutal as everliving hell. I'm almost afraid to play it. <img src=smilies/erm.gif>
<P ID="signature">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXHfVou58Ahttp://xc4.xanga.com/a19a76323353179.../z54103151.png
Click the Link (picture) to go make fun of my brother!</a></P>

icenine0 06-21-2007 04:44 AM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
The Wii version's the most audacious. "Waggle your nunchuck to keep the plastic bag on your target's head" or "thrust your Wiimote to jam a pencil in his eye" kind of stuff. I'm all for freedom of expression, but if an AO rating exists and is meant to be given out, then games like this should get it.

It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they do to tone it down. "Well, the enemies are zombies now!"

> The thing is, from what I have seen of this
> game, it is brutal as everliving hell. I'm almost afraid to
> play it.


<P ID="signature"></P>

The 9th Sage 06-21-2007 03:40 PM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
> The Wii version's the most audacious. "Waggle your nunchuck
> to keep the plastic bag on your target's head" or "thrust
> your Wiimote to jam a pencil in his eye" kind of stuff. I'm
> all for freedom of expression, but if an AO rating exists
> and is meant to be given out, then games like this should
> get it.

Oh yeah, no doubt. I mean, I wouldn't be in favor of trashing the game just because it's got an AO rating, but it definitely should get one it looks like (the Wii version was the one I was mostly thinking of).

> It'll be interesting to see what, if anything, they do to
> tone it down. "Well, the enemies are zombies now!"

Heh, I think that they might just cut out on the gore a little bit or something. I bet if they did that a little it'd make the ESRB happy.
<P ID="signature">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjXHfVou58Ahttp://xc4.xanga.com/a19a76323353179.../z54103151.png
Click the Link (picture) to go make fun of my brother!</a></P>

JCE3000GT 06-21-2007 03:52 PM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
Manhunt 1 crossed the line and Manhunt 2 is just that much more worse. I can't believe there is a stupid murder simulator like Manhunt in the mainstream--it just boggles the mind.
<P ID="signature"></P>

JadussD 06-21-2007 05:39 PM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
> Manhunt 2 has an AO in the states and is banned in the UK.
> With all due respect, I wish they'd really terminate this
> series -- selling 6 or 7 copies while giving Jack Thompson
> everything he wants in a murder simulator (for reals, this
> time) is not worth their investment and can't be good for
> the industry's image.

Has it occured to anyone besides me that Rockstar Games are a bunch of misanthropes who put extremely anti-social subtexts into their games?

I would have loved this kind of thing growing up, I mean, you all know how angry I could be but really, this type of extreme misanthropic motif goes way beyond "blowing off steam with virtual violence", and it feeds the neuroses of lots of disturbed, angry people.
<P ID="signature"></P>

puduhead 06-21-2007 07:24 PM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
> Has it occured to anyone besides me that Rockstar Games are
> a bunch of misanthropes who put extremely anti-social
> subtexts into their games?

> I would have loved this kind of thing growing up, I mean,
> you all know how angry I could be but really, this type of
> extreme misanthropic motif goes way beyond "blowing off
> steam with virtual violence", and it feeds the neuroses of
> lots of disturbed, angry people.

i think they are capitalizing on the disenfranchised public. but you're true, there's lots of kiddies that haven't popped their mental cherries yet who are probably worse for the wear to be exposed to games like these as an intro to life and gaming.

what's a kid to do in a world where his own government is the posterchild for, at least in part, misanthropy?

there's probably no need for such a game in the mainstream. but I fully expect subversion in all forms of art and creative projects to continue. while we debate the propriety of these and other medias, the genocides and have vs. have not wars continue.
<P ID="signature">http://www.xanga.com/Genesis1dot0<img src=http://pc.xanga.com/c3/7a/c37ac403ff93c46e67341c22cde75af03236737.jpg border=0></a></P>

Maxwell Murder 06-21-2007 07:38 PM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
honestly, I didn't bother finishing manhunt, but my roommate loved it. If rockstar has the balls to actually release it as AO then I'd probably pick it up. The challenge lies in getting AO games into stores. From what I understand the only reason most stores don't sell AO games is because most AO games are those shitty porn games.

I really don't get the AO rating though. It's 18 versus what? 17 for MA. So something is just so horrible that you should wait a year to see it? The ratings don't make sense to me. From what I've seen on most games you should be able to tell what age group it's appropriate for by looking at the back of the box. But then parents would actually have to take responsibility, and of course we can't have that.

<P ID="signature"></P>

icenine0 06-21-2007 07:43 PM

Re: Rockstar gets the stick.
 
> I really don't get the AO rating though. It's 18 versus
> what? 17 for MA.

I think all ratings systems have their final rating as 'the line.' If you cross 'the line,' we don't sell your game / distribute your movie -- it's meant to stop things from being commercially viable and not much else.
<P ID="signature"></P>


All times are GMT. The time now is 06:40 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.