Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Talk of the Town (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   Like Flash, I am also still alive (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=15028)

coolie 08-05-2011 06:42 PM

Like Flash, I am also still alive
 
Been a long, long, LONG time since I've posted here.

I am still alive and kicking, believe it or not. I live in New York City, and I make my living as a freelance designer. I'm also doing comedy once a week, either stand-up, or with a troupe I'm part of.

Oh yeah, and I'm getting married in January.

Hmm...anything else?

Yes, I still love Ys.

Who's still alive around here?

king killa 08-05-2011 08:10 PM

Hey man. Sounds like you're doing pretty damn good. I'd love to see a clip of your stand up if possible.

puduhead 08-06-2011 01:05 AM

Hey, cool stuff man. Sounds like things are going really well for you. Congrats.

Doing stand-up. Wow. That's gotta take some balls... or a lot of liquid courage.

chiefmonkey 08-06-2011 03:29 PM

Holy shit, son. I was just thinking about coolieranx (and/or Lobster Cowboy) DAYS AGO. I've summoned you with my mind.

InVerse 08-06-2011 03:59 PM

What's with all you kids coming back? I wish some of the old school members would return. :(

chiefmonkey 08-06-2011 04:59 PM

Fucking JadussD, where are you?

GeminiMan 08-06-2011 09:11 PM

Ah, it's Lobby! Good to hear things are going well for you. And hello to everyone else as well--I can't remember if I've posted anything around here in the last year or two (or longer).

king killa 08-06-2011 09:30 PM

Gemini!
Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefmonkey (loosely)
Holy shit, son. I was just thinking about GeminiMan DAYS AGO. I've summoned you with my mind.

I was looking through extremely old website folders and came across the guitar tabs folder.

Reaper man 08-08-2011 08:11 AM

I'm here, and I'm the motherfucking forum admin. ;p

coolie 08-08-2011 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king killa (Post 103399)
Hey man. Sounds like you're doing pretty damn good. I'd love to see a clip of your stand up if possible.

I haven't had it recorded yet, but when I do, I'll post some links.

coolie 08-08-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by puduhead (Post 103401)
Hey, cool stuff man. Sounds like things are going really well for you. Congrats.

Doing stand-up. Wow. That's gotta take some balls... or a lot of liquid courage.

I have to say, it's not as ballsy as you would think. Once you've rehearsed enough, you sort of become like a musician. Each joke is like a song, and you perform them straight through from memory.

Fla Flash 08-09-2011 04:15 PM

Holy smoke. Sounds good, Coolie. :)

chiefmonkey 08-11-2011 02:58 AM

Oh shit, it's 2003 in this motherfucker!!

puduhead 08-12-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolie (Post 103417)
I have to say, it's not as ballsy as you would think. Once you've rehearsed enough, you sort of become like a musician. Each joke is like a song, and you perform them straight through from memory.

I guess I might just be that big of a pussy then. :P I've passed up a few options to sing/play for open mics and the like (felt safer in the home studio or jamming at a house party of known peoples).

I have to imagine that doing sketch comedy would be the least off-putting, personally. I'm a fan of the genre (KITH being my all-time favs). What's your material like?

pipes 08-13-2011 12:31 PM

wow! the standup is kinda random.
what started you to get into it professionally?

GeminiMan 08-16-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king killa (Post 103410)
Gemini!

I was looking through extremely old website folders and came across the guitar tabs folder.

Gah, it's hard to wrap my mind around how long it's been! IRC, having a website, and all that stuff was mostly when I was in middle school. Now, undergrad is over. Mind = blown.

(wraith_) 08-16-2011 05:53 PM

Something must be in the water.

D-- 08-17-2011 11:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InVerse (Post 103405)
What's with all you kids coming back? I wish some of the old school members would return. :(

1997, yo.

Unless |nfe or brad show up, I might be beating all of you new kids.

chiefmonkey 08-18-2011 12:17 AM

1997? Wow, I didn't even know roms/emulators existed until 1998.

(wraith_) 08-18-2011 12:32 AM

Once upon a time, I was really into romhacking/translation and website administration (strictly as a hobbyist) These days, I'm mostly into hiking in the White Mountains (12/48 4000-footers summitted), spending time with my girlfriend (who is awesome), and working (Ack! The dreaded "job"). Unfortunately, video games have mostly fell by the wayside. I hope everyone is well!

king killa 08-18-2011 01:42 AM

D-boy, your the first person who came into my head when Inverse said that.

and wraith, that's pretty bad ass

D-- 08-18-2011 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (wraith_) (Post 103462)
Once upon a time, I was really into romhacking/translation and website administration (strictly as a hobbyist) These days, I'm mostly into hiking in the White Mountains (12/48 4000-footers summitted), spending time with my girlfriend (who is awesome), and working (Ack! The dreaded "job"). Unfortunately, video games have mostly fell by the wayside. I hope everyone is well!

Can't get into the hiking thing; I really have an issue with heights. However, I do a lot of biking and went on a 130 kilometer trip out to eastern Hebei Province and back last month. It was pretty cool.

I spend pretty much all my time working, which means editing text or designing for print. If I have time I go out to take pictures around town. My wife and I are pretty boring: we only really get to go out once every other month. Usually too exhausted from the jobs.


Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefmonkey (Post 103461)
1997? Wow, I didn't even know roms/emulators existed until 1998.

I'm so old school, Zophar's Domain didn't even exist when I learned about video game system emulation. Node99 and Damaged Cybernetics all the way!

InVerse 08-18-2011 11:05 PM

I discovered my first emulator via Usenet in the spring of '96. I discovered my first ROMs via FTP in the summer of '97. I started coming to this site in, I believe, November of '97 and I joined the staff in early '98. Prior to that, I began masturbating in approximately 1989.

king killa 08-19-2011 12:42 AM

I began breathing in 1988. I wasn't masturbating until like 1993.

Lillymon 08-19-2011 06:47 AM

This thread made me think we should rename Zophar's Message Domain to Zophar's Home for Oldfags. :rolleyes:

D-- 08-19-2011 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillymon (Post 103473)
This thread made me think we should rename Zophar's Message Domain to Zophar's Home for Oldfags. :rolleyes:

YES!

king killa 08-19-2011 12:48 PM

People who use the terms "oldfag" or "newfag" are way faggier and more likely to be transsexual than people who are refereed to by those terms.

D-- 08-20-2011 04:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king killa (Post 103475)
People who use the terms "oldfag" or "newfag" are way faggier and more likely to be transsexual than people who are refereed to by those terms.

You are replying to Lillymon. As such, I cannot determine whether your post is stunningly ignorant or deliciously trolling.

I'm hoping for the latter.

king killa 08-20-2011 09:43 AM

http://i.imgur.com/cTmt5.jpg

Reaper man 08-21-2011 05:05 PM

OH GOD WAT

chiefmonkey 08-22-2011 12:57 AM

So where are Drako_Dragon, Slein, and icenine0?

king killa 08-25-2011 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefmonkey (Post 103489)
So where are Drako_Dragon, Slein, and icenine0?


Still no response, they must have all died.

Also, I haven't seen Paladyn in a while.

D-- 08-25-2011 10:55 AM

I may or may not have heard from icenine0 when I email him a while ago related to Der Langrisser stuff. I never see him on Google Talk anymore.

chiefmonkey 08-26-2011 05:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king killa (Post 103494)
Still no response, they must have all died.

Also, I haven't seen Paladyn in a while.

That's a poor combination of sentences: Paladyn actually HAS died. :(

king killa 08-26-2011 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefmonkey (Post 103498)
That's a poor combination of sentences: Paladyn actually HAS died. :(


Yeah.. I know. Too soon, right?


Okay. last inappropriate joke I'll post in this thread:

Unlike Flash, Paladyn is no longer alive.
Like Flash, I also once knew Paladyn's password.

(wraith_) 09-02-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king killa (Post 103500)
Yeah.. I know. Too soon, right?


Okay. last inappropriate joke I'll post in this thread:

Unlike Flash, Paladyn is no longer alive.

That's very sad to hear.

chiefmonkey 09-02-2011 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king killa (Post 103500)
Like Flash, I also once knew Paladyn's password.

Wasn't it yter4306? Or something close?

king killa 09-02-2011 11:49 PM

> once knew

(wraith_) 09-04-2011 03:33 PM

What happened to Paladyn? I'm just curious, he's about the same age as I. It's sad to hear that someone passed so young.

king killa 09-04-2011 10:20 PM

Original post about it: http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14242

Obituary: http://www.fredericknewspost.com/sec...m?obitID=28586

D-- 09-07-2011 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by (wraith_) (Post 103556)
What happened to Paladyn? I'm just curious, he's about the same age as I. It's sad to hear that someone passed so young.

Not to be an asshole, but 30 is not young.

In most of the world, someone that age is expected to be married with children and saving up money in case he doesn't die before retirement.

It says he died at home. Was it an accident, cancer or suicide? Or did he pull a Jim Henson? Those would be my primary guesses for why someone would die at home at that age.

coolie 09-19-2011 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipes (Post 103446)
wow! the standup is kinda random.
what started you to get into it professionally?

I got into comedy a long time ago, but decided to start trying to do it professionally in 2009. Actually, more like "professionally". Showbiz is very weird for comedians. You have to give away your product FOREVER before you can start to make any money.

It's pretty much an exposure game. The more people see you, the more cred you get, the more cred you get, the more you're asked to be in shows that pay. I'm in that dark area where cred meets pay, so I still have a day job.

cbxweb 10-01-2011 11:36 PM

Boof! Good to see the old school people are still alive..for the most part. eh, I've been lurking for years. I try to stay active but I get caught up in doing my own stand-up :P.

king killa 10-02-2011 08:51 PM

Holy fuck.

Slein 10-15-2011 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefmonkey (Post 103489)
So where are Drako_Dragon, Slein, and icenine0?

I guess I'll jump on the bandwagon and announce that I, too, am not dead.

king killa 10-24-2011 12:28 AM

9 days of inactivity. Either people care way less about Niels that than they used to, or this site's fate is as clear as Elazul's Pad's.

Reaper man 10-24-2011 01:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by king killa (Post 103712)
9 days of inactivity. Either people care way less about Niels that than they used to, or this site's fate is as clear as Elazul's Pad's.

To be fair, I've been kinda busy lately...

king killa 10-26-2011 03:47 AM

To be fair, even if you had posted, it wouldn't have changed my opinion.

chiefmonkey 10-29-2011 04:50 PM

To be a fair, I am now serving funnel cakes.

CEpeep 11-05-2011 06:17 PM

Once upon a time I was an admin here...

GeminiMan 11-09-2011 02:58 PM

Ah, such a nostalgic thread! Makes me feel like I should be on #zophar or something.

chiefmonkey 11-12-2011 05:06 PM

(braces for netsplit)

Dead Alien 11-13-2011 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolie (Post 103626)
I got into comedy a long time ago, but decided to start trying to do it professionally in 2009. Actually, more like "professionally". Showbiz is very weird for comedians. You have to give away your product FOREVER before you can start to make any money.

It's pretty much an exposure game. The more people see you, the more cred you get, the more cred you get, the more you're asked to be in shows that pay. I'm in that dark area where cred meets pay, so I still have a day job.

Do you have a audio copy of your routine we can hear? :)

Quasius 12-03-2011 05:29 AM

Uh... hi.
I actually found this because I was randomly thinking about Elazul Yagami and wondering how all the events in the middle-east had been effecting him.
I used to post waaaaay back in the day if anyone remembers (I see some familiar names here.) I was obnoxiously Republican if that jogs anyone's memory. Now I'm probably obnoxious in different ways that will look silly in another decade.
Anyway, I guess I'm checking into the "still alive" thread. Did the forums just kinda atrophy or did people migrate elsewhere?

Edit: Man... it's really weird thinking back to the people I used to talk to here. It's like remembering a lost world.

AkaneJones 12-12-2011 08:09 AM

Hum...
Wait! People are still here?
Oh Kei, I had to say something.

Ernst 12-17-2011 02:50 AM

I'm also alive if someone remembers me, didn't use to talk that much.
Come to think of it, I'm alive even if you don't remember me. :P

MegaManJuno 12-20-2011 03:18 PM

I still check in around here every so often. Apparently, I haven't actually been logged in since January though. These days I tend to lurk around romhacking.net.

JCE3000GT 01-21-2012 12:46 AM

I approve of this thread wholeheartedly. :D

Now, where's Cipher? lol

king killa 02-27-2020 02:45 PM

This has aged poorly.

I'm sure Roger would be the first one to laugh though. I miss the old guy.


All times are GMT. The time now is 02:55 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.