Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   General Emulation (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Can't Play VBA - Unsupported File? (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=9398)

Kanashii 08-05-2008 02:53 PM

Can't Play VBA - Unsupported File?

I was told about VBA by one of my friends last night at his birthday party.. I saw him playing on his laptop and thought it looked pretty neat.. So I decided I would give it a shot. I'm decent when it comes to understanding computers.. but for the life of me, even looking up tutorials on VBA makes me VERY.. confused.
SO... Maybe I'm just doing this wrong, or maybe it was the sugar crash at 12:27am trying to figure this blasted thing out, but I can't seem to get it to work for me.
The problem isn't in downloading VBA.. for the most part I think I've done that correctly. Its on my desktop, I can open it.. go into it, and everything. The problem is -- I can't seem to get the games I want to play.

For example: I downloaded Dude, Where's My Char?
[URL="http://www.zophar.net/hacks/gb/pokemon-blue-edition/dude-where-s-my-char-.html"]http://www.zophar.net/hacks/gb/pokemon-blue-edition/dude-where-s-my-char-.html[/URL]

--A game my friend had on his computer--As a test to see how everything worked. I downloaded it, placed the zipped file on my desktop.. then did as one of the tut's told me--drag and drop on top of the VBA screen.. now it should play.. yes? However it says things like "No Images" Or "Unsupported File" And after downloading a few other games.. even unzipping the folders and trying that way... still nothing.

Is it simply not working because I'm making a simple mistake? Or did I screw up big time somewhere and need some special help?

-Confused Kanashii :(

Lillymon 08-05-2008 03:26 PM

I believe that's just an IPS file, you have to get the original Pokemon Blue ROM and apply the IPS file to it. ROM requests are not allowed at this forum though, so you're on your own for that. As for the ISP file, I think we used to have a tutorial of some sort about them, but I've no idea now.

Kanashii 08-05-2008 03:32 PM

Well at least I get it now. I'll have to go look up the ROM and get back to you.(this thread)--if I have a problem or get it to work correctly.

Thank you Lillymon.. <3

Kanashii 08-05-2008 03:44 PM

Alright. I'm guessing this is a ROM.
I downloaded it correctly.. drag'n'drop the sucker onto VBA screen and.. the black screen turned gray! :O
It jumps from 4% to 37%,99%,100% then all over the place in % pretty much.
Is this supposed to happen? Or did I do something else wrong?
In one of the tut's I read... it said something about it loading instantly.. so.. I'm guessing I did something wrong.

EDIT-- Ahh.. also when I go to "Recent" It is there.. yet it says at the bottom of the screen when I click it "Loaded Battery"

If that helps?

The 9th Sage 08-05-2008 05:03 PM

what is the extension of the ROM (assuming you are playing a black and white Gameboy game, it should be .gb)? I can tell you that 'Dude, where's my char?' is a ROM hack, and as such is probably an IPS patch file. You would take the original ROM (in this case...Pokemon Blue?) and apply the patch to it using something such as the utility LunarIPS (which you should also be able to find on this site).

Patchers are here. I do recommend LunarIPS. Assuming you are on Windows, anyhow.

*edit*
Oops, Lilly already said some of this stuff. :P

Rattlehead 08-08-2008 03:54 AM

I thought most emulators nowadays supported auto-IPS patching?

About the % jumping all over the place:

Go to the "Options->Frame Skip" menu. If "Automatic" is checked, uncheck it. This does jack shit, in my opinion...it just makes skipping worse. Make sure "0" is checked, then go into the "Throttle" menu and make sure "No Throttle" is checked. If it still seems to be fucked up, then PM me and I'll tell you all of the settings I'm using. I've been able to play Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Golden Sun w/out skipping, so I'm positive my settings'll work.

Xeon3D 08-08-2008 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlehead (Post 81319)
If it still seems to be fucked up, then PM me and I'll tell you all of the settings I'm using. I've been able to play Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow and Golden Sun w/out skipping, so I'm positive my settings'll work.

They might work, but they might also make the game run slow depending on his\her machine specs. Those two settings speed up gaming but only in PC's that would run them smoothly without them.

Rattlehead 08-08-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xeon3D (Post 81322)
They might work, but they might also make the game run slow depending on his\her machine specs. Those two settings speed up gaming but only in PC's that would run them smoothly without them.

It's a given that you shouldn't try to emulate newer-gen games on an old machine. I'm playing on a laptop that's got 384 MB of RAM and a 1.99 GHz processor.

Razmaster G 08-13-2008 12:26 PM

Problems with VBA

Okay I've got the ROMs but for some reason my Visual Boy Advance isn't letting me play Pokemon Emmerald,Ruby or Sapphire :S It will let me play pokemon Bue,Red, Yelow and Crystal :S is there something wrong?

Oh and btw when I say it doesn't work I mean it shows a white screen and does nothing else :(

if anyone knows what to do please tell me what I'm doing wrong

The 9th Sage 08-14-2008 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Razmaster G (Post 81597)
Okay I've got the ROMs but for some reason my Visual Boy Advance isn't letting me play Pokemon Emmerald,Ruby or Sapphire :S

Wait, what system were those ones for? They don't ring a bell for some reason...are they Gameboy, Gameboy Color, or GBA?