Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Talk of the Town (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   What are the most important things in life? (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10000)

JadussD 12-05-2008 11:26 PM

What are the most important things in life?

The nihilist would say nothing. The subjectivist would say that it depends on the individual. Conan the Barbarian would probably say something about killing your enemies and hearing the lamentations of their women.

Maybe the purpose of life is to be able to say, if and when death comes, that you have not wasted your life, that you have done something for something greater than your embodied self and its desires?

Certainly there are trials and trevails. I cannot bear to live with the thought of seeing my parents see me die as their only son. Throughout life I acquired an understanding of this world and encountered terrible things and people which would have long destroyed weaker souls. Yet, through selfishness and hubris, I have failed in many ways.

Let me offer you all a warning: things are not what they seem. Question the motives of those with answers to everything. Question especially those things presented to you as innocent and harmless. Run screaming from the darkness concealed in all that is fluffy and shallow. Do not be deceived by demagogues and ideologues. Question why there are so many distractions, and question the source of these.

retroguiden 12-06-2008 04:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadussD (Post 84673)
The nihilist would say nothing. The subjectivist would say that it depends on the individual.

Sorry, that's the objectivist. Are you making these posts up as you go? Are you high? :confused:

SpaceTiger 12-06-2008 07:37 AM

Quote:

Maybe the purpose of life is to be able to say, if and when death comes, that you have not wasted your life, that you have done something for something greater than your embodied self and its desires?

That's a pretty fluffy answer to everything. ;)

Isildur 12-06-2008 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroguiden (Post 84680)
Sorry, that's the objectivist. Are you making these posts up as you go? Are you high? :confused:

No, I think Jaduss had it right. One would expect the objectivist to say that while various people may have conflicting ideas about what the answer is, in reality there is only one correct answer, whether it's known yet or not.

And you're suggesting that most of us aren't making up these posts as we go? ;)

Fla Flash 12-06-2008 05:16 PM

Quote:

Let me offer you all a warning: things are not what they seem. Question the motives of those with answers to everything. Question especially those things presented to you as innocent and harmless. Run screaming from the darkness concealed in all that is fluffy and shallow. Do not be deceived by demagogues and ideologues. Question why there are so many distractions, and question the source of these.

You, my young friend, hit the nail on the head.
Nothing is as what it appears. There is some sort of trap or catch to most things that sound too good to be true.
Plus, there's no such thing as a free lunch.

Cornellius 12-06-2008 05:59 PM

I believe in Harvey Dent !

err... nevermind.

JadussD 12-06-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by retroguiden (Post 84680)

If you mean that non-philosophy created by that laughable egomaniac Ayn Rand...sort of. Hilariously, Ayn Rand's philosophy, by denying the subjective as well as metaphysics actually takes much power away from the ego and the individual, creating a fine way to make nerdy basement dwellers with stunted reasoning skills.

The subject-object split itself is actually in itself a means of dominating individuals but for reasons that are difficult to explain, is quite necessary.

Isildur 12-06-2008 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JadussD (Post 84704)
If you mean that non-philosophy created by that laughable egomaniac Ayn Rand...sort of. Hilariously, Ayn Rand's philosophy, by denying the subjective as well as metaphysics actually takes much power away from the ego and the individual, creating a fine way to make nerdy basement dwellers with stunted reasoning skills.

The subject-object split itself is actually in itself a means of dominating individuals but for reasons that are difficult to explain, is quite necessary.

Oh, he was talking about a Rand-following "Objectivist"? Oops, I missed that. I thought he was just refering to philosophical objectivism, in opposition to your subjectivist.

Reaper man 12-07-2008 06:07 AM

survive
reproduce

/thread

Cornellius 12-08-2008 03:07 AM

Knowledge.