Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Site Questions / Suggestions (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9)
-   -   Language rule (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=10004)

Isildur 12-07-2008 02:38 AM

Language rule

Just for clarification: I assume the spelling rule applies only to regular non-ironic use that makes an entire post a royal pain to read, not to brief tongue-in-cheek use of poor spelling. amirite?

e.g. jokes like:

Original post: Yesterday I had to cut down a branch that had partially snapped under the weight of some snow and freezing rain and was leaning precariously over my driveway.
Someone else's reply: So... does that make you a s1337 h4x0r?

*mentally files that one away for possible future use*

Also, presumably, the kind of common internet abbreviations that have long been used on ZMD are ok?

Reaper man 12-07-2008 06:21 AM

yes, the ones that piss me off are the fucktarded users that think it's ok to bash on the keyboard like a 2 year old.

Tongue-in-cheek posts that mock said users are perfectly fine.

Cornellius 12-07-2008 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 84714)
yes, the ones that piss me off are the fucktarded users that think it's ok to bash on the keyboard like a 2 year old.

Tongue and cheek posts that mock said users are perfectly fine.

Posts like: I have a wii, what system do u have ? Some abbreviations aren't that bad.

However, if d whole post is written liek dis, u kno its painfull.

Lillymon 12-08-2008 02:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornellius (Post 84733)
Posts like: I have a wii, what system do u have ? Some abbreviations aren't that bad.

It's two fucking letters! No one's in that much of a hurry.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornellius (Post 84733)
However, if d whole post is written liek dis, u kno its painfull.

ME AM BRAZIL, WHY GAMES NOT PLAY IN MY MAME?

Cornellius 12-08-2008 02:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillymon (Post 84755)
It's two fucking letters! No one's in that much of a hurry.

No, I do not understand why write ''u'' instead of ''you'' either, but if it's just that now and then, I can read and understand the post pretty well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lillymon (Post 84755)
ME AM BRAZIL, WHY GAMES NOT PLAY IN MY MAME?

WHERE ARE ROMZ

The 9th Sage 12-08-2008 03:53 AM

Chances are if all it is, is something like u in place of 'you' no one is going to notice anyway.

hcs 12-09-2008 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reaper man (Post 84714)
Tongue and cheek posts that mock said users are perfectly fine.

What about cheek only posts, i.e. cheeky? Or maybe you were looking for "tongue-in-cheek"? (see also Muphry's law which assuredly applies to this post as well)

Reaper man 12-09-2008 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hcs (Post 84790)
What about cheek only posts, i.e. cheeky? Or maybe you were looking for "tongue-in-cheek"? (see also Muphry's law which assuredly applies to this post as well)

Oh god damnit... fixed.

Rattlehead 12-13-2008 10:31 PM

For me, if it's something such as u instead of you, or skool instead of school, I'm fine with it. As long as it sounds like the correct word. Of course, I have a 12-year-old sister, so I kinda have to put up with misspellings all the time from her.

SpaceTiger 12-17-2008 09:41 PM

I'm not a big fan of this rule. The community more or less polices itself on things like this. Adding a strict language rule and throwing out ban threats after a person's first post just makes us seem unwelcoming to new visitors. If a person intends to stay, a gentle nudge is usually all that's needed. If they don't, then banning them is pointless anyhow.