Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Rom Hack (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   EMI Files (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=2867)

Tempestwolf67 10-27-2004 11:07 PM

EMI Files

Hey, I've been searching most everywhere and can't come up with this information (if this is outside the rules of the forum just delete the post and excuse my ignorance as far as I'm aware it seems to be an acceptable question). The playstation game Breath of Fire III stores its information in an EMI file type. I have no idea what an EMI file type is and apparently no one else I've been able to talk to does either. If anyone could give me some useful information about this it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

<P ID="signature"></P>

Reaper man 10-27-2004 11:21 PM

Re: EMI Files

> I have no idea what an EMI file type is
> and apparently no one else I've been able to talk to does
> either. If anyone could give me some useful information
> about this it would be much appreciated. Thanks.

from what I've learned, the emi files in BoF 3 are a compilation of various data

take the ones in "enemy" for example. as far as I know, they comtain

the enemy sounds (which you can rip from using psound)
graphics (I think)
statistical data

actually, almost every file in the game has sound data, just rip it using psound :)
as for graphics, you're on your own. No one has been able to figure out the graphics format yet, but I'm guessing that most of the sprites are 4bbp. perhaps I'll take another crack at finding the graphics in the game :)

I hope this information helps you

<P ID="signature"><center>
sig not found...</center></P>

Tempestwolf67 10-28-2004 12:55 AM

On one hand it does help a lot, gives me a better understanding of what's going on. On the other hand it was mostly the graphics files I was interested in. If you make any further attempts to delve into the matter that turn out somewhat successful keep me posted. Thanks for the help though.

<P ID="signature"></P>

Reaper man 10-28-2004 07:11 PM

> On one hand it does help a lot, gives me a better
> understanding of what's going on. On the other hand it was
> mostly the graphics files I was interested in. If you make
> any further attempts to delve into the matter that turn out
> somewhat successful keep me posted. Thanks for the help
> though.

I'm guessing that the graphics are compresased. I took a crack at it last night. Either that, or it uses a very weird format ;/

the only way to find out would be to load it in an emulator with a debugger and start a break point on a graphical function call... or something. Then if it is compressed, try to isolate the algorithm *shrugs*

who knows, it might use something that lunar compress can work with.

<P ID="signature"><center>
sig not found...</center></P>