Zophar's Message Domain

Zophar's Message Domain (http://www.zophar.net/forums/index.php)
-   Talk of the Town (http://www.zophar.net/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=6)
-   -   This...BLOWS (http://www.zophar.net/forums/showthread.php?t=14676)

Fla Flash 11-19-2010 08:42 PM

This...BLOWS

It's unemployed time again, guys. Any suggestions?

*please, be nice.

InVerse 11-19-2010 09:08 PM

It's the holidays. Shitloads of places are hiring seasonal help, particularly retail stores, but also tax preparation services since the tax season kicks into high gear in January.

In the meantime, any minute you're not spending on job search, spend on Amazon's Mechanical Turk.

Lenophis 11-20-2010 07:25 PM

Get a telemarketing job, call me, let me blow up in your face about how much I hate telemarketers, then you can say to your boss you did your job. Everybody wins! ^_^

Xtreme2damax 11-23-2010 07:55 PM

Even though it sucks, sometimes you just have to settle with crap jobs such as Walmart, McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, grocery and other retail due to the downhill economy at the time.

My father has his Bachelors in business, an associates degree for another curriculum, tons of experience and he had to settle going back working as a school bus driver and safety instructor. :(

ARProductions2009 11-24-2010 07:29 PM

Unemployment sucks...I've been unemployed going on 3 years, and the area I live in, finding work is tough. All you got to do is keep looking.

Fla Flash 11-24-2010 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xtreme2damax (Post 101892)
Even though it sucks, sometimes you just have to settle with crap jobs such as Walmart, McDonald's, Burger King, Arby's, grocery and other retail due to the downhill economy at the time.. :(

I'd take one, but I'm now having trouble standing for too long a period of time....as it is, I can collect unemployment, so I'm not in a total panic.

Xtreme2damax 11-25-2010 08:17 PM

Yeah, my father was out on disability for the past five to eight years because he sustained an injury to his knee on the job, he's tried to get hired for other jobs since he was injured but no one would hire him. He is unable to stand for long periods of time and has trouble getting around and walks with a cane. Only recently has he felt well enough to go back to work.

pipes 11-28-2010 12:56 AM

move from Florida
get out west
family is not an option vs survival
go to school on something
preferably fast (certs, training, and such)
I know a guy that has a cert in wiring and use to make good money till he quit and became a manager in some factory making less for some reason he doesn't mention (probably got fired).

Right now I am making a resume based off my university's tutorial and plan to get to some company with IT.
Don't care if I am qualified or not. I have to try. I could do SOMETHING I know, be it IT or not. I am kind of hoping they will see my education of what I have done so far and see if that brings me anything.
Now I am filling it in with keywords. It is supposedly key when mangers do a search. Much like google and website keywords.

Gotgull 12-10-2010 04:20 AM

I hear the white house has a shortage of janitors because nobody in congress can use a vacuum. They can make the mess but can't clean it up. You don't necessarily have to do gross stuff as a janitor, I used to just buff, wax floors and clean carpet, when I was a janitor. It isn't rocket science.

CollinFalling 12-19-2010 01:50 PM

When work was tight around my area last summer I began working as a lumber jack.
The pay was awful and I lifted brush, stumps, and logs for 8 hours a day...but work is work. If you have trees in your area, it is something to look into as they require no experience and people quit quickly.